Kawasaki KLR Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got the KLR650S PERFECT BIKE I'm 5'11 and almost 60 years old. I sold my 2014 KLR last month and that was going to be it for me and KLR's Went by the dealer for a chain for my KLE 300 (Versys x) and saw this bike that was shorter than the others and asked about it. They said, just came out.

Sat on it and my feet were firmly on the ground. Walked out with the bike.

Let me tell you, way way different ride. So much more control, it's way more maneuverable. I feel way more confident. The GEN 3 is far more responsive. Perfect bike. They screwed me by adding in an extended warranty without me asking and had already gotten the cashiers check so $8500 out the door. They gave me $3000 for my versys 300 with 12k miles so thought that was fine.

Yeah, this bike is nice now. I'd take this one off road more so than the regular bike just because the lower center of gravity has an astounding effect on handling.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Congrats on your new bike! Besides the color, what is the height and rear shock travel difference from the S model to the standard model. I am 5'10 and feel like my 2022 KLR650 is too tall for me to effectively control it. I feel like i should put lowering shackles on it but I am concerned about the already soft rear shock travel.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I did the lowering on my 2014 and promptly took them off. The ride was terrible. Not sure the travel but I think it said they reduced it an in or 1.5 and cut 1.5 out if the seat. The rear didn't change I don't think.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Congrats on your new ride! I did the lowering kit on my '09 and dropped the front forks 1" and love the improved ride. I'm 5' 7", so somewhat inseam challenged on the KLR and have never had both feet firmly planted at a stop light. Still love this bike!

·
Premium Member
292 Posts
Pictures please

·
Registered
2022 Kawasaki KLR650
169 Posts
Don't do the lowering links, ever. Changes the handling, changes the steering angle, rake and trail of the bike. Changes the suspension set up and how it reacts to the road. Just not worth the effort. Best way to avoid this is to really test ride the bike before buying the bike. That way you ride it in every way you will ride it if you buy it. If there is questions dont risk it. There is other bikes out there that will suit your height and weight plus how you ride.

·
Premium Member
12,006 Posts
Don't do the lowering links, ever.
Jeeze, I do hope that no one ever purchases a KLR650 SHORT model that then intends/needs to install lowering links.

But I'm certain that someone, somewhere will do exactly that.

I once had an older couple on Gen 1's out of Nova Scotia that passed thru Lander, WY, USA on their way to Alaska in 2004.
(Mr. & Mrs Rob Tiarks, Bridgewater, N.S. Canada if any members know them.)

Mrs Tiarks bike had been lower about 5 inches on both ends! She was about 5ft 4inches & 105lbs.
They made the entire trip safely. We received a letter & photos from them when they got home.

The next year they returned to Lander, WY on Yamaha FJR1300's and a rode slightly different route to Alaska & back home safely. I don't recall how much her FJR had been lowered.
Received a postcard with the 'Bluenose' sailing ship from them when they got home.

·
Registered
2022 Kawasaki KLR650
169 Posts
Jeeze, I do hope that no one ever purchases a KLR650 SHORT model that then intends/needs to install lowering links.

But I'm certain that someone, somewhere will do exactly that.

I once had an older couple on Gen 1's out of Nova Scotia that passed thru Lander, WY, USA on their way to Alaska in 2004.
(Mr. & Mrs Rob Tiarks, Bridgewater, N.S. Canada if any members know them.)

Mrs Tiarks bike had been lower about 5 inches on both ends! She was about 5ft 4inches & 105lbs.
They made the entire trip safely. We received a letter & photos from them when they got home.

The next year they returned to Lander, WY on Yamaha FJR1300's and a rode slightly different route to Alaska & back home safely. I don't recall how much her FJR had been lowered.
Received a postcard with the 'Bluenose' sailing ship from them when they got home.
Impressive they did that. Good on them for riding. Lots of Aussies will have postie bikes that can travel all around Australia loaded up with supplies. Don't think people understand what lowering bikes does properly. Think with the KLR the lower seat is a gteat idea. I personally would never lower a bike or recommend it, however would say if it had to be done, spend a lot of money take it to a bike engineer and get it properly done and balanced.

·
Registered
562 Posts
Outstanding!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Just got the KLR650S PERFECT BIKE I'm 5'11 and almost 60 years old. I sold my 2014 KLR last month and that was going to be it for me and KLR's Went by the dealer for a chain for my KLE 300 (Versys x) and saw this bike that was shorter than the others and asked about it. They said, just came out.

Sat on it and my feet were firmly on the ground. Walked out with the bike.

Let me tell you, way way different ride. So much more control, it's way more maneuverable. I feel way more confident. The GEN 3 is far more responsive. Perfect bike. They screwed me by adding in an extended warranty without me asking and had already gotten the cashiers check so $8500 out the door. They gave me $3000 for my versys 300 with 12k miles so thought that was fine.

Yeah, this bike is nice now. I'd take this one off road more so than the regular bike just because the lower center of gravity has an astounding effect on handling.
So, besides a different seat, what suspension mods have been done to this bike at the factory?? Many on this site say NEVER use lowering links, and NEVER drop the forks down an inch.Many claim are your ruining the intended and factory engineered riding geometry, some say it's down right dangerous. So, who can shed accurate light on how they lowered this "S" model? Did Kowi manufacture a completely new model, different fork, frame, swing arms, shocks, etc??? Whats the "secret" on how Kawasaki did what appears to be exactly what folks have been doing with aftermarket parts for years.

·
Registered
562 Posts
So, besides a different seat, what suspension mods have been done to this bike at the factory?? Many on this site say NEVER use lowering links, and NEVER drop the forks down an inch.Many claim are your ruining the intended and factory engineered riding geometry, some say it's down right dangerous. So, who can shed accurate light on how they lowered this "S" model? Did Kowi manufacture a completely new model, different fork, frame, swing arms, shocks, etc??? Whats the "secret" on how Kawasaki did what appears to be exactly what folks have been doing with aftermarket parts for years.
There is nothing wrong with lowering a bike but both ends need to be done a commensurate amount and sag needs to also be setup properly.

It's a problem when the bike ends up 'squatted' in the rear only. Head shake and other wonky handing effects begin to show up.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I think I read they lowered the front forks, shortened the kick stand (slightly too short), nothing to the rear, and cut an inch out of the seat. Whatever they did, it is perfect. Now if the idle wasn't so flippin high.

·
Registered
2022 KLR650
1,201 Posts
I think I read they lowered the front forks, shortened the kick stand (slightly too short), nothing to the rear, and cut an inch out of the seat. Whatever they did, it is perfect. Now if the idle wasn't so flippin high.
Install a clutch bypass switch and it’ll help lower your idle rpm…among other things!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts