Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My engine dies when I shift out of neutral with kickstand up. There's something wrong with the safety feature. How is it supposed to look?
There was a little silver piece that broke off that was part of the kickstand but I don't know what it is or how to fix it or what the missing part is. Thank
IMG_20201016_160236481_HDR~2.jpg

·
Premium Member
7,134 Posts
The only thing missing in your pic is the back half of the black plastic cover.

Are you sure that you are not just in Too Big of Hurry and the wet clutch is actually stalling the cold engine?

Many owners cut the safety switch wires below the quick connector & splice them together and throw the safety switch away. But rushing to shift with cold engine oil on the wet clutch could still stall your engine on the 1st shift of the morning!

Start the engine on full enrichener (choke). Allow to fast idle on full enrichener for a minute or three or until the exhaust note starts to sputter a bit, Increase throttle a tiny bit as you back off the enrichener.

Get your helmet, gear & gloves on.
Now, SQUEEZE & HOLD the clutch lever. Blip the throttle 3 times to quickly accelerate & decelerate the crank & clutch, still holding the clutch lever to the handlebar!
Let the engine settle to normal low idle speed (1300rpm +/-100rpm) and gently snick the gear pedal down into 1st gear.
The bike will still slightly flinch, but with properly adjusted clutch cable it should not stall.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts