Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Did the mod and added the Lexx pipe on my 09 and its a different bike altogether. Midrange acceleration is amazing. Total investment -189.00-- so worth it

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
I agree. I did the .22 mod and frugal exhaust for a richer mixture and better sound. A year later I added the LEXX exhaust since the stocker is so heavy and hot. I noticed a stronger midrange and topend.

·
Premium Member
1,586 Posts
I'm wanting to try the LEXX, and the exhaust cam one tooth advance mod.
Done ALL the other ones each adding 1/2 % power increase, so added up it
has much improved punch with "stock-modified". Another pony or two can't be
a bad thing at all !! (insert Tim Allen grunt)

Cheeeeeeeeeeeeeap

·
Registered
5,558 Posts
Done ALL the other ones each adding 1/2 % power increase, so added up it
has much improved punch with "stock-modified".
I've wondered; what's the accuracy/precision/repeatability error budget for dynamometers?

Of course, some modifications are evaluated by seat-of-the-pants dynos only, producing unassailable and valid data.

The operational principles behind some mods can be visualized (e.g., the 22-cent mod, jetting); others remain more elusive and mysterious (PCV valve and MC (advancing exhaust cam) mods). The latter may be effective, but beyond my limited understanding capability.

Still, in hop-up modifications, perception often becomes reality.

Hey; anyone index their KLR650 spark plugs? :)

·
Administrator
8,275 Posts
...Hey; anyone index their KLR650 spark plugs? :)
Yes. It became a habit of sorts many years ago on British four-bangers. Spark plugs came in packs of four; I'd buy two packs. Mark the position of the electrode with a spot of nail polish, try different plugs in each hole until I got them all lined up right, then tighten. I knew it didn't do much, if anything, but it didn't cost anything, either.

I still do it.

Tom

·
Registered
5,558 Posts
Yes. It became a habit of sorts many years ago on British four-bangers. Spark plugs came in packs of four; I'd buy two packs. Mark the position of the electrode with a spot of nail polish, try different plugs in each hole until I got them all lined up right, then tighten. I knew it didn't do much, if anything, but it didn't cost anything, either.

I still do it.

Tom
Good for you, Tom!

Yet, some disagree on optimum orientation.

This source favors ground electrode toward intake valve:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ys4GnIk_YC0

Meanwhile, this source suggests open spark toward intake valve:

http://www.carcare.org/2011/10/indexing-spark-plugs-2/

Literally, these two contradictory guidances are, "180 degrees apart."

Which is your preference, Tom, spark toward intake or exhaust valve, and why? Further, what is your source of indexing washers?

·
Administrator
8,275 Posts
I favor putting the electrode towards the intake valves. My rationale is that the squish area creates a swirl which makes the charge densest over by the exhaust valves.

My source for washers is the box under my work bench that Ferd gave me 40 years ago. I never used them up because it was just easier to swap things around until they were all indexed; the washers finally come in handy on the thumper.

Tom

·
Registered
5,558 Posts
I favor putting the electrode towards the intake valves. My rationale is that the squish area creates a swirl which makes the charge densest over by the exhaust valves.

My source for washers is the box under my work bench that Ferd gave me 40 years ago. I never used them up because it was just easier to swap things around until they were all indexed; the washers finally come in handy on the thumper.

Tom
Thanks for the comeback!

Another use for those washers . . . in my misspent youth, spark plug washers (14 mm, IIRC) just exactly fit the holes for clutch springs; thus . . . the washers were used to shim, "pre-load," if you will, the clutch springs to address clutch slipping under hard acceleration.

Stronger clutch springs are a better approach, but . . . spark plug washers as shims offer an effective field expedient sometimes, when one is needed.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts