Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so I just did the 22 cent mod and a crap load of other things including a E3 plug and doohickey and PVC mod. I also put a inline fuel filter. Now my problem is the bike barely runs. So it's gonna be hard to pin point the problem. It's a 2008 and I'm sure it's the carb. It will start only with the choke on and if you touch the throttle or choke at all it stalls. It's running very weak. Barely idleing around 1300rpm on the choke. Its idling rough and I think it may be rich. Could the fuel filter matter. It had no flow direction on it so I went with the flat end towards the tank an the round pointy end towards the carb. Help!

Sent from my iPhone using MO Free

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Oh and the wash is just 0.029 thick and I cranked the jet out 2.5 turns. So maybe a half turn in will help?

·
Administrator
8,372 Posts
Take out the plug and put the old one it. It was working.

Take out the PCV mod. What it does, if anything, is questionable. You can put it back later if the spirit moves you.

Take out the fuel filter. It's not needed and could be inhibiting fuel flow.

That leaves you with a doo and a 22 cent mod, two changes which should have no interrelationship.

The thickness of the washer and the idle screw 'turns out' are not out of line.

Start from there and see how it goes.

Tom

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks. Yeah the fuel filter is first. I heard the PVC mod helps with oil consumption. Yeah I have a 08 ;)

·
Administrator
8,372 Posts
I have an '08 as well. I tried the PCV mod with an open mind. I kept pretty careful track of my oil consumption and cannot say the PCV did any good WRT oil consumption. By that I mean that if it did the effect was so vanishingly small that I could not record it.

Seems the way with the PCV mod. All of the things it is reputed to do actually happen, but hey are vanishingly small in effect. :) No one has been able to record the effects!

T

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ok so I switched plugs, no change. Pulled the PCV and no change. The tank is off and it's running on the fuel left in the carb and no change there either so that tells me it's not the fuel filter. I cranked the screw in a half turn and added another washer but that totals a thickness of 0.058 an that's high. Either way no change. The Doo wouldn't be anything really cause its quiet and not clicking or anything and I didn't mess with the timing at all. So I'm think I'm down to the carb. I did the drill out with the 7/64 bit and a #4 washer. Pretty straight forward mod. Anything else

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well I'm gonna bench the carb and clean it. I ruled out everything. Must have something jammed in it.

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
Check the order that you put the carb back together. Slide goes into carb, needle goes into slide, then the white cage thingy, spring and cap. Make sure the foot of the white cage thingy is not covering the hole at the bottom of the slide (the one you drilled). Be careful seating the diaphram into the groove so that it isn't pinched or puckered.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well I did go back to one washer. I took the carb off stripped it and cleaned it up. Now it seams to work fine..... But I have a small noise coming from the motor that I'm not sure if it was there in the past so I'm gonna peal the side covers off it again to make sure everything is good in side and the starter gear isn't rubbing. But it revs up now and idles nice so one problem fixed anyways. Grrr thanks for all the advice

·
Registered
389 Posts
May not be any issue with the noise, sometimes you hear things you never noticed before working on it. Just did the Doo on mine and noticed the chain noise on right side from cam and balancer chains whirring inside I never paid attention to before. Just my thoughts.

·
Registered
1,928 Posts
I have an '08 as well. I tried the PCV mod with an open mind. I kept pretty careful track of my oil consumption and cannot say the PCV did any good WRT oil consumption. By that I mean that if it did the effect was so vanishingly small that I could not record it.

Seems the way with the PCV mod. All of the things it is reputed to do actually happen, but hey are vanishingly small in effect. :) No one has been able to record the effects!

T

Now you've done it Lonerider is going to swoop in for a PCV feeding! :29:

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yeah I thinks the noise is nothing. It's just cause I was down close to the motor checking everything out. It's te last time I do like 6 mods at once. I seen a few drops I oil in my skid plate. I hope the gaskets are good from the Doo or I'm gonna be stripping it all again tomorrow anyways. Well it will be ready to ride by tomorrow night. It was long over do for the upgrades. And I have the PCV mod still on with the fuel filter and E3 plug. Hopefully everything settles in nice and she doesn't need a bunch more fine tuning

·
Registered
5,601 Posts
Now you've done it Lonerider is going to swoop in for a PCV feeding! :29:
Never mind the PCV valve mod and its mystical, magical effect . . .

From the symptoms described, the problem is (may I have the envelope, please?):

DIAPHRAGM AIR LEAK.

As in, improperly sealed diaphragm . . .

Without an air-tight diaphragm seal, the slide cannot lift properly; the needle jet and the main jet are inadequately uncovered, resulting in a fuel-lean mixture; that's why the engine only runs with starting enricher ("choke") ON; the only way a sufficiently fuel-rich mixture reaches the combustion chamber.

Some find a dab of silicone goop helps hold the diaphragm lip in its groove as the carb is assembled . . .

Could be a torn diaphragm, but . . . given the recent disassembly of the carb for the 22-cent mod, I'd suspect the diaphragm simply isn't sealed properly . . .

·
Registered
389 Posts
Was able to reuse the gaskets on mine, cleaned with rubbing alcohol and put a thin layer of permatex motoseal (same as yamabond) on gaskets and had no leaks.

·
Registered
5,601 Posts
And I have the PCV mod still on with the fuel filter and E3 plug.
A poltice, comprising six buzzard feathers and a mocking bird's tail, plucked when the full moon commences to pale, brewed with the claws of a one-legged quail, reportedly produces the same effect as a PCV valve mod on a KLR.

A fuel filter may trap particulate matter (e.g., from deteriorating fibrous petcock components); can't say about an E3 plug.

Oh, did you INDEX the E3 plug? Orient the gap optimally for igniting intake mixture?

(Just messin' with you, KLR Thumper!)

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Hey Lone Rider, I think you were right. But I was short 2 feathers, that was the problem! LOL. Yeah I believe it may have been the diaphragm. But eitherway I opened er up and clean it all out and I think it's good. Won't know until the first test ride. Hopefully today! Geese this site is great. I ask a question late last night and had a dozen ideas right away.

Thanks everyone!

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Ok so after everything I said and done.... I'm a moron. The oil leak I thought I had was just gas mixed with dirt in the skid plate. I didn't look to hard last night at it. So I guess I'm almost ready to put er together but I have one small issue. Every time I crank the throttle it give me a small backfire on the way back down. Otherwise it idles and revs great. Any ideas on this before I slap it together. The 22 cent mod was supposed to get rid of this. Is it a matter of turning the jet in or out a bit or do I need to rip the card down?

·
Registered
389 Posts
Set your idle mixture screw out 2-2.5 turns out from lightly seated, still get some minor popping out of mine after mod. It does seem that some of us on here never sleep, lol

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Yeah that's where the needle is. Well I put it together and rode it. Wow there was a good difference in throttle response. I lost a bit of top end I think. She had a bit of issues around 150 km but that's no big deal, it is also the winter storage gas with sta-bill in it. I don't run er that high to often anyways. But lots of good lower end pick up. I'm happy and the back firing sorta went away. I didn't notice it on my short 8 km ride and I rode it hard. Well it's done and running great. Thanks for all the help everyone. Now just waiting on my new centre stand, rear side guards and rear master cylinder guard to arrive next week and she is done until next winter!

Cheers.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts