Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, recently I've been on a major road trip (Seattle to Arizona and back), well major for me and I recently died in Montana outside of Butte. I had been able to get around 250-260 from a full tank of gas but just died because I ran out on the highway thinking I had about 50 more miles left! Everything is stock, a 2006.
I've been through every type of elevation in the U.S. From 285 below sea level to 10,000 above with no problems, now this.
Did I just get a hold of some weak gas or what's going on? Anyone else have issues with this big of change?
Thanks.

·
Premium Member
3,206 Posts
Are you sure the tank was empty? Recently my '11 "ran out of fuel" showing 250kilometers on the odometer. I often go 350. I switched to reserve and went to fuel up. It took only 16 liters when I usually put in 20. Not sure what the glitch was but the next fillup was at 326k and I hadn't hit reserve yet.
Odd huh?
Regards....justjeff

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No it wasnt empty I switched to reserve. But I was getting around 250 before switching to reserve. It also feels a bit sluggish. All this happening at once. Would a clogged air filter make a klr sluggish, slower?

·
Premium Member
3,206 Posts
No it wasnt empty I switched to reserve. But I was getting around 250 before switching to reserve. It also feels a bit sluggish. All this happening at once. Would a clogged air filter make a klr sluggish, slower?
Absolutely! And make it suck fuel as well. The air filter on KLRs is very small so they need frequent cleaning to maintain correct air flow. Go forth and clean your filter young man!!
Regards....justjeff

·
Registered
1,636 Posts
I agree....IF your machine isn't kept up in it's maintenance you can not expect it to operate to the best of it's ability now can you......? Much the same as you....no offense.....get it tuned asap.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts