Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
603 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Still looking for my second bike.Kay has got herself a 650 wee.Does anyone know anything about the Aprilla Caponord? Looks like a well built bike.Reminds me of the Africa Twins.The more I look the more I confuse myself:mad0235: .I'm looking for a dual sport because of where we live,and it fits our lifestyle.I want a bigger bike for back and forth to work and longer trips thru North America including Canada.As always,any input would be greatly appreciated.Oh ya,the klrs stay,they are way to much fun

Happy Trails
:character00201:
Mike

·
Registered
990 Posts
Before I bought my buell I rode just about everything in the class.

The aprilia is very heavy and feels every pound of it. I test rode a used one around san fransisco..it had warped front rotors and was very heavy around town. The weight would be okay out on the road I would think, but for low speed around town riding it is too heavy. The motor looks very good on paper, I found it to be sluggish and it doesn't rev quickly.

·
Premium Member
1,429 Posts
PaperOnly a complete IDIOT would own a KLR and a 1000 V Strom..:mad:

Man that is a BOLD statement, and I guess I know a few "complete IDIOTs", and I gues I was just 350 ccs from being one myself when I owned the wee and the KLR.

My thoughts on it would be anyone that likes dual sports bikes would benifit in owning either the KLR and the wee, or the v-strom. The KLR for the off road stuff and back roads, and the strom for the dirt roads and hwys. The strom is a better road bike than most, and still has the ability to do the dirt, ( if the rider is able ).

I really would like to know why anyone would think such a thing about someone owning two of the best all around d/s bikes?

·
Registered
331 Posts
Mike has the BMW bug WAAAAAAY bad----I have a roll of flex magnet---ya think if I print off the BMW logo and glue it to a round piece and stick it on my wee tank he'll go for it..:) :) :) He hasn't rode the wee yet- I likey likey -he might too--------------Kay

warm weather later in the week here!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
:cool0012: :character00201: :cool: :character0093:

·
Premium Member
4,751 Posts
Maybe cause HE has both DJ!!!:) :)

Hey!!
Are you calling me an IDIOT?!?!?!

Weird how my signature didn't show up on that post..:character0005:

Hee hee... I find the KLR and big Strom to be a great mix of bikes. Sometimes I wish I had a big bike that was more touring oriented, and sometimes I wish I had a smaller bike that was a bit more nimble in the dirt, but all in all, they're a great pair of bikes to own..:character00286:

·
Registered
102 Posts
A Big Bike

I got rid of or sold my big bike late last summer. Someone on here said it best, if I am not mistaken, I think it was Paper. I do stand corrected. Went something like this. "A big touring bike is a blast for the first 300 yards, then it gets pretty boring pretty quick." Mine was a 95 Kawasaki Voyager with the 1200 CC in line four and water cooled. A real nice bike, but it was missing something that I still to this day cannot put my finger on. Maybe it is just me.
Thot I wanted a Beemer, still do sometimes, but I can not afford the Beemer maintenance in the high rent Beemer district.

Bill

·
Premium Member
4,751 Posts
1 girl on here and Ah gots to keep up with all of ya's!!!!!:)

Somebody's gotta do it!! :)

2nd bike is always a bit funny to me, since I've had up to 7 bikes at a time. Actually, when I had 7, four of them were BMW's.. Back in the olden days when I had time AND money.. Now I have neither..:mad0235:

·
Premium Member
4,751 Posts
I got rid of or sold my big bike late last summer. Someone on here said it best, if I am not mistaken, I think it was Paper. I do stand corrected. Went something like this. "A big touring bike is a blast for the first 300 yards, then it gets pretty boring pretty quick." Mine was a 95 Kawasaki Voyager with the 1200 CC in line four and water cooled. A real nice bike, but it was missing something that I still to this day cannot put my finger on. Maybe it is just me.
Thot I wanted a Beemer, still do sometimes, but I can not afford the Beemer maintenance in the high rent Beemer district.

Bill
Beemer maintenance is cheap, if you're willing to do it yourself. My last one (2000 R1100R) never saw a dealer after I purchased it at 2200 miles, and I sold it at 30,000 miles. I took care of the services and even did some on the road repairs of other guys bikes with the tools in the bike.

Valve adjustments are a snap, and about the biggest PITA that I did on mine was change the fuel filter, which is inside the tank and a pain to get at. It was so bad that I took a picture of all my stuff spread out in my driveway before I started putting things back together, just to remind myslelf to have a dealer do it next time..:)

Standard services usually took me 3 hours, replacing all the fluids, lubing everything, adjusting valves, etc. I also didn't have an ABS bike, so brake fluid change wasn't any harder than it is on a KLR.

All in all, I've had great luck with my BMW's over the years, but it's BMW itself that's driven me away from the brand. Not allowing other marques in the same dealership, and forcing dealers to be "pretty" is pretty crappy to the people who are out there to sell your product.

My local BMW dealer (who was a crook anyway) is now gone, and my closest dealers are Chicago, Milwaukee, Quad Cities, or Beaver Dam, Wi...

The really weird thing is that I was comfortable working on my BMW, but I tend to have service guys work on my KLR and V Strom..:ashamed0001:

·
Registered
331 Posts
Somebody's gotta do it!! :)

2nd bike is always a bit funny to me, since I've had up to 7 bikes at a time. Actually, when I had 7, four of them were BMW's.. Back in the olden days when I had time AND money.. Now I have neither..:mad0235:
Oh great, I can only hope Mike is too busy at work tonite to read this:ashamed0005:

:mad0235: :) :)

·
Registered
102 Posts
Beemer Service

Paper, yes to all you said and more. Something has happened to the B.M.W. motorcycle family of dealerships, it is sad. Five years ago when I had a little extra green in my pocket, I thought I could/would go the Beemer route. Both local dealers in the metropolitan Phoenix area and the one in Tucson would only honor the B.M.W. warranty if I had absolutely all maintenance and service done through them. I was not allowed to do any of it myself, or have another shop sign off on my work. Even the regular scheduled engine oil and filter changes. Doing all of my own maintenance work would/is the only way I can afford toys like a motorcycle. I recall asking some of the prices of the services at the B.M.W. dealers and soon realized hat in addition to my full time job, I'd also need a part time job and a paper route to afford to own one. It was a plain Jane bare bones model. I'd still like to have one. Just a thought, what's the Power Ball up to this week?

Bill

·
Premium Member
4,751 Posts
This idiot got to ride today!!!:character00286:

Both the KLR and the Strom!! Finally, the rain yesterday washed the roads so they're now roads, rather than salt covered pavement!!!:)

I'd have taken the Yamati Scooter out, but the battery was toast.. Cheap junk.. It's now got a gas matt battery in it.

Now for a couple hour charge and I can ride it, too!!

·
Registered
603 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Well,finally settled on a second bike.2001 Triumph Tiger 955i.Kept on the showroom floor of a bike shop.Less than 6,000 miles.Came with a full set of Triumph luggage (Givi) which will go on Kays wee,Triumph HP exhaust,chip,new set of metz tourances,and tank cover.Now to start dressing her up.Let the farkeling begin:)

Happy Trails

Mike

·
Registered
477 Posts
Well,finally settled on a second bike.2001 Triumph Tiger 955i.Kept on the showroom floor of a bike shop.Less than 6,000 miles.Came with a full set of Triumph luggage (Givi) which will go on Kays wee,Triumph HP exhaust,chip,new set of metz tourances,and tank cover.Now to start dressing her up.Let the farkeling begin:)

Happy Trails

Mike
Ummmm, pictures?

·
Registered
603 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Hey Gunn,spring out there yet?There will be pics shortly.Between the ancient camera(fd mavica) still taking floppies and the puter not reconizing it:mad0235: ,New camera is in the immediate future:)

1 - 20 of 20 Posts