Kawasaki KLR Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Please help.
I got a 320 disc, EM plate, SV 650 caliper, Ninja 250 master cylinder & SS line.
The brakes are spongy and when I look at the disc from the top as I pull the brake lever the disc physically moves to the right.
The bike shop said yeah it's a floating disc. I've been riding 40 years and never seen that.
Please can I have opinions.

·
Premium Member
3,896 Posts
Yes it should be a floating disc and they are designed to move axially. I've noticed that mine move slightly so whether thats an issue probably depends on how much movement you are talking about. Did you get the EBC rotor from Eaglemike?

Dave

·
Registered
97 Posts
when you reinstalled the wheel, was the caliper in the right position or did you have to finagle things into place? how much rotor movement are we talkin'?

as for the sponginess, it took me awhile to get all the air out. i ended up enlisting my wife's help. we laid the bike down on it's side, caliper up to avoid trying to push the bubbles down. i detached the master and had her hold it level and keep the fluid topped up while i used my vacuum bleeder at the caliper.

some have luck using some type of syringe to push fluid up from the caliper.

a spongy lever indicates air still in the system.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi Gents,
Floating disc (rotor) is a warp 9. EM conversion plate.
The bike shop fitted it for me so they did the fiddling. They were non to happy about it.
Anyway thanks for the input.
I didn't feel safe riding especially after my good friend who's a Kwaka mechanic seen the video said do not ride that.
I took it back to the mechanics and said get that caliper off and put the original back on.
So now it will 250 Ninja master cylinder, 320mm warp 9 rotor, SS lines and original 2004 brake caliper rebuilt with new pads.
That worked a treat before.
I'll just put down to experience.
Anyone wanna rebuilt SV650 caliper with EM conversion plate?

·
Registered
194 Posts
Not sure why you didn't call me. Lots and lots of those out there with zero issues - if you use the correct rotor. Even with warp 9, if their dimensions are correct, it should not be an issue. Maybe they didn't follow the directions? I send an email, with instructions and pictures to everyone that buys the plate from me. I used it on one of my personal bikes, following the directions, and it worked fine, zero issues.There's always potential issues when you use different parts, and take it to someone that isn't really familiar with the parts, and might not really be interested in understanding how it all works. I'm sorry you had a problem.
ETA: there is a list of calipers known to work on the page for this product on my site. I try to give everyone the information they need to be successful.

·
Premium Member
3,896 Posts
Hi Mike; this post reminded me that I wanted to upgrade to the newer alloy adaptors - just sent an order to you for two of them.

Thanks,
Dave

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hi Mike,
I don't think for one minute it's your product.
I have the conversion plate you supplied for the 320mm & original caliper (and your fork brace & jet kit) and that worked a treat.
My blame is squarely at the mechanics. When they fitted it they asked me if I had anymore parts (washers) with the kit so they were having problems then. I gave them your instruction as well. IMHO they set the caliper to far from the fork therefore as I pull the brake the piston have to push the pads over to reach the inside pad there was a viable gap between the rotor & the inside pad.
In doing this the disc was moved laterally very visibly. As I said before I've never seen it in 40 years of riding.
I got the bike back today after putting the original caliper back on the 320mm and had a close look at the rotor whilst applying the brake.
No lateral movement at all. I took a video of it for a comparison.
I just don't get it. Everyone I've shown the original video said that's not good bar the mechanics in the bike shop.
Looks like I won't be using them anymore.
Thank you for all you input.
I love my KLR it's a proper supermoto rat bike now.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
8,984 Posts
I was hoping to view your videos of the offending SV650 caliper/disc movement on the EM adapter, verses stock caliper on whos adapter bracket? :(

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hi PDWestman,
Sorry mate it appears the video is to large to download on this forum.
I'm just gonna stick with the set up I have now.
Warp 9 320mm disc, SS line, Ninja 250 master cylinder, EM adapter plate and original KLR 650 caliper rebuilt with new pads
I shimmed the brake lever and all works well.
I'm a bit cross about the whole saga but I'll put it down to experience.
Modify at your own risk...
I did it, didn't feel happy about it. Didn't fancy a front end failure. I had to trust my instincts about the brake.
If we were not in lockdown I'd be teararsing down the national park today.
I just need to ride my bike.😉

1 - 11 of 11 Posts