Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,453 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Gen1 KLR

Getting ready to install a 320 rotor. What brake pads do you use with your 320 rotor? Also what brake fluid are you using?

·
Administrator
8,250 Posts
Why the green pads?

I've had good service from the OEM pads, so was about to order the Galfer 1054 (black) pads from Buster. The green pads aren't much more, but what will they do for me?

Tom

·
Threadjacker
6,768 Posts
Why the green pads?

I've had good service from the OEM pads, so was about to order the Galfer 1054 (black) pads from Buster. The green pads aren't much more, but what will they do for me?

Tom
Tom, I have not tried all the pads out there by any means, but I did try green. They wear out FAST. They are grippy as hell, but not worth it IMO.

·
Administrator
8,250 Posts
Thanks LJ. I haven't crashed into the back of anything lately, so maybe I'll stick with an OEM type fo pad. Do you remember how many miles you got out of them? I'm pushing 20K on my stock pads.

T

·
Threadjacker
6,768 Posts
Thanks LJ. I haven't crashed into the back of anything lately, so maybe I'll stick with an OEM type fo pad. Do you remember how many miles you got out of them? I'm pushing 20K on my stock pads.

T
I don't remember, but it was SHOCKINGLY little. They are real soft. I'm back to cheapos now. The green would be my choice if I was a millionaire or a better rider. :)

·
Registered
3 Posts
EBC HH pads will score the disc badly - Galfer green are good but wear quickly - stock are a softer HH compound than the EBC and work well.

·
Administrator
8,250 Posts
I would have thought the stock pads would have a GG rating rather than HH. Is there a range of HH ratings?

T

·
Premium Member
4,753 Posts
Alright you Gen 2 snobs.. Tim's talking about Gen 1.. :)

Tim,
With the oversize brake disc I don't know if you'll need to go to a set of Green pads or not. I've run the Greens on my stock brakes on the Gen 1, but as we both know, the Gen 1 brakes aren't as good as the Gen 2, which is why so many people go to the oversize disc.. :)

I'm running Green HH and don't care if they wear out my disc. I know that as soon as the disc is worn thin, I'll upgrade to oversize too.. And until I upgrade, I want as much stopping power as possible.. Maybe even as much as a Snobbie Gen 2 bike.. :)

I installed the Greens and braided hose a couple years ago. Still running strong, but I have to replace pads every 7-8000 miles. It's worth it to be able to stop.

·
Threadjacker
6,768 Posts
Good point, Paper. Stopping is important...one of those things you shouldn't skimp on. It's just that OUR bikes can kind of do it. :28::ashamed0001:

Gotta give us something with our plastic fantastic heathen bikes. :)

·
Threadjacker
6,768 Posts
We snuck in under a cloud of burning oil. :)

·
Missed Gear
1,193 Posts
After burning through a set of Green pads so fast I went back to the standard ones.

Didn't notice much difference.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Well, once you decide on Black Semi Metallic, Green Kevlar, or HH Sintered Ceramic, I've put some Galfer kits together for you guys that should at least make buying them a little easier...

Galfer Stainless Steel Brake Line and Brake Pad Kit (Front) for KLR650 08-10
http://www.bustersdirtshop.com/product.php?productid=16483&cat=69&page=1

Galfer Stainless Steel Brake Line and Brake Pad Kit (Rear) for KLR650 08-10
http://www.bustersdirtshop.com/product.php?productid=16484&cat=69&page=1

Customization options (number of options):
Line Color (10)
Banjos Color (5)
Banjo Bolts Color (5)
Crimp Coating (Black or none)
Pad Type (3 front kit, 2 rear kit)

The only catch (if you'd even consider it one) is that the Superlight banjo options need to be paired with Superlight banjo bolts. You'll see what I mean when you select your options on the product page.

Black or Green front and rear pads are also available separately.
HH front pads available separately.

Just visit Brakes > Brake Pads on the website and 'Set & Browse' in the Shop By Bike to see brakes for the KLR. Here's the direct link...
http://www.bustersdirtshop.com/home.php?cat=69

I also have a video from Galfer that explains a little more about their pad choices (available on the product pages on our website as well). Here's the direct link...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=GYoCwx0Zwfc

Thanks!

·
Registered
40 Posts
Brake Pads

I use Galfer Green. I love them and will replace them with the same.

·
Premium Member
4,753 Posts
Commericials

Well, once you decide on Black Semi Metallic, Green Kevlar, or HH Sintered Ceramic, I've put some Galfer kits...
Buster,

I know you're a paid sponsor here, and I truely think you're trying to help, but the commercials aren't something that we've ever had here..

Jumping into topics to push your products just doesn't feel right.. The rotors and the seat posts are kinda turning some people off, including myself..

Again, I'm aware you've paid to advertise here, but maybe making suggestions without it sounding like an infomercial might be better??

It's your money and you've paid for the right to sell here, but it just feels like it's slapping in face with advertising..

Again, I'm not trying to be a jerk, but I'm just trying to explain it from a non-vendor's view.. I've been to your website and if you would have had a certain color and model of helmet in stock, I would have purchased from you BECAUSE you're an advertiser here, but the commericals are turning me off from considering you for future purchases..

Again, just trying to have you see if from my side of the screen.:) Zero hard feelings, but just wanted you to know.

·
Registered
1,928 Posts
Buster,

I know you're a paid sponsor here, and I truely think you're trying to help, but the commercials aren't something that we've ever had here..

Jumping into topics to push your products just doesn't feel right.. The rotors and the seat posts are kinda turning some people off, including myself..

Again, I'm aware you've paid to advertise here, but maybe making suggestions without it sounding like an infomercial might be better??

It's your money and you've paid for the right to sell here, but it just feels like it's slapping in face with advertising..

Again, I'm not trying to be a jerk, but I'm just trying to explain it from a non-vendor's view.. I've been to your website and if you would have had a certain color and model of helmet in stock, I would have purchased from you BECAUSE you're an advertiser here, but the commericals are turning me off from considering you for future purchases..

Again, just trying to have you see if from my side of the screen.:) Zero hard feelings, but just wanted you to know.

Yea I agree 100%

How about if you post a link to your vendor forum and go into the detail there?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Well, that's the opposite reaction I expected. :ashamed0001: I thought a well thought out reply would be appreciated in an area where my product was EXACTLY what was being discussed. Maybe I'll mention bacon farts in my next commercial to soften the blow of my capitalist ways. Either way, it doesn't bother me. I was really just trying to help. This is your home and I'm not here to be a nuisance. Please know this was not my intent. I can stay in my cage at the vendor zoo.

As you were gentlemen. Buster out. :character00271:

·
Premium Member
1,263 Posts
Skeeter. Quit being a dick. Say yer sorry to Buster. You behave until I at least git a Vapor out of one of these vendors.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts