Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1st off... will this require me to modify anything to get this on the front tire?

2nd, has any one done a complete Brake job, front and back, with Rotor swap up front? Is this something a weekend mech can do or would buying th parts and having a shop do it be the best route?

Thank you up front for anything you can offer... :character00271:

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have the brembo wave rotor 320mm from Galfer Brakes, combined with galfer pads and braided line. The rotor requires no mods to the bike, just bolt on the rotor and the caliper relocation bracket. I definatly reccomend this mod if you are doing a lot of street riding. I installed mine for use on the race track, I'm not sure if your familiar with Infinion raceway (Sears Point). At the end of the straight away is basicly a 90 degree right turn, and lap after lap burning into that corner at 98mph I slowed to my entry speed with just front brake and downshifts. I did smell brakes useually towards the end of the sessions but only in that turn and there was never any brake fade.

On a bad note however I have taken my bike on the trail since then and on a dusty loose dirt road with my 80/20 street/dirt tires all you have to do is look at the lever crossways and the front will lock. Though mine is a street queen with the occational trip to the dirt so I didn't mind the dirt dissadvantage.

Hope this helps you make your decision... I know that EBC makes a rotor aswell, I just thought the wave looked cooler so I got that one instead..

·
Registered
85 Posts
I have the brembo wave rotor 320mm from Galfer Brakes, combined with galfer pads and braided line. The rotor requires no mods to the bike, just bolt on the rotor and the caliper relocation bracket. I definatly reccomend this mod if you are doing a lot of street riding. I installed mine for use on the race track, I'm not sure if your familiar with Infinion raceway (Sears Point). At the end of the straight away is basicly a 90 degree right turn, and lap after lap burning into that corner at 98mph I slowed to my entry speed with just front brake and downshifts. I did smell brakes useually towards the end of the sessions but only in that turn and there was never any brake fade.

On a bad note however I have taken my bike on the trail since then and on a dusty loose dirt road with my 80/20 street/dirt tires all you have to do is look at the lever crossways and the front will lock. Though mine is a street queen with the occational trip to the dirt so I didn't mind the dirt dissadvantage.

Hope this helps you make your decision... I know that EBC makes a rotor aswell, I just thought the wave looked cooler so I got that one instead..
I was planning on this very modification myself. This makes me think again though. Just a thought, have you tried this item http://klr650.com/TractionControlBrakingUnit.htm and in your opinion would it help with the lockup issue?

·
Registered
4 Posts
I was planning on this very modification myself. This makes me think again though. Just a thought, have you tried this item http://klr650.com/TractionControlBrakingUnit.htm and in your opinion would it help with the lockup issue?
I would do a bit of reaserch to find out how effective mechanical ABS was before spending my money. On the dirt with vibrations I don't know how that would effect the unit, if the bumps would "activate" it and reduce the braking force... Same story on the street, mash the brakes then hit a bump and presto less brakes than you wanted... It may just be me but I favor my right hand as my ABS, and if you can't slide it don't ride it... there is nothing more fun than a 2wheel skid :60:

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Moto.. Thanks a ton! That is the exact mod I am going to do!
Do you see a diffrence with the wave, ie extended raod trip fatigue? Or do you think a 'normal' 320mm would give the same performance?

Your right, if you can lock up the rear and keep control, best gets to working on it!!!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts