Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,928 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 08 turned over 35,000 miles today. Unfortunately 95% of those miles are from commuting to work! I had plans of doing more than day trips but that hasn't worked out so far, life got in the way.

So my perspective on stuff:

Tires - I've settled on Kenda 761s

Maintenance - I checked the valves at around 20K and they looked good so I've decided not to look again unless symptoms start showing up. Bike starts right up and runs as good as it ever did.

Replaced the doo @ 16k miles. The stock doo was intact and the spring had some tension, better safe than sorry I guess.

Oil - yea it burns it! Thought about a 685 kit but the cost and the aggravation with Kawasaki stops me! I change the oil at 2k mile intervals, Rotella T 15-40 filter every other change.

The wiring harness had a short and put me on the side of the road for a bit but other than that the bike has been reliable.

I haven't done much to the bike other than protection (crash bars, hand guards, skid plate) .22 cent mod, supermoto front fender, heavier fork oil, a few electrical thangs (heated grips, lights on the crash bars) and that's about it.

I'm hoping that the motor will go another 35K without much attention maybe by then I'll be able to buy another bike!

·
Administrator
8,279 Posts
Spec-

I agree on the K761s.
While I have not tried other tires - only the K270s and the stock tires - I'm pretty pleased with the K761s. They've been good in the wet and passable for mild off-road.

I'll be gone for a few days now - have to go ride around the world to catch up to your miles...

Hope you have another 35K of happy and safe riding.

Tom

·
Administrator
3,563 Posts
My 08 turned over 35,000 miles today. Unfortunately 95% of those miles are from commuting to work! I had plans of doing more than day trips but that hasn't worked out so far, life got in the way.
It's not all bad, think of the money you saved on fuel riding your bike to work. And somehow riding the bike to work seems to make going to work even easier. And considering the times it's great to be able to go to work although you wouldn't know it considering the attitudes of people these days. Okay enough preaching.

Thumbs up on the K761's. I have a set of Shinkos to mount but I'm expecting that I'll be back on the Kendas when they wear out.

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
If those Shinkos you have are 705's you won't be disappointed. They are better in every category than the 761's. Now if they're 244's, well if they are anything like the Kenda 270's which they are modeled after you may not like them so much. I'm on my third rear 705 and the front will easily last until the rear is toast. I get between 4k and 5k on a rear so the front will have better than 12k on it. I wish I could get that kind of mileage out of the rear tire.:)

Ohh and congrats Spec on hitting 35k. Your're really cranking out the miles!

·
Administrator
3,563 Posts
Ya it's a 705 set I have in waiting.

If I only get 5k out of the rear 705 that will be half what I get out of a rear 761. I've got 10k on the one I have on now and I think I could probably get an easy 1k more out of it. The 705's also cost me more but I wanted to try something different.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts