Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My wife asked me a while back what I would like for my 40th birthday. I said, "I want to ride my bike to Alaska." I'm thinking I'd go with my buddy Chad, but she pipes in with, "I want to go with you." Huh....really? After my initial shock, I was thrilled. Biking is some thing we have discovered that we both love. It has taken us 13 years to find "that thing." So we began to plan. We soon realized that Alaska was a bit too ambitious. It would require us to be away from our three little ones for too long. We decided that two weeks was the most we could be away. Armed with a time period, we began to plan.
A few months later, we were ready to depart. I'll share the route as we work through the pics. This may be a lengthy report, so I'll have to split it up over several posts. Please bear with me!
Here we are ready for departure from a friend's house (they were watching the kids first:)

We were primarily camping, so the KLR was loaded. Kim is riding a 250 Super Sherpa. I knew this trip was at the edge of the little bike's limits, so we kept her load light:

We left Port Angeles and headed down the Washington coast on Hwy 101. The road is beautiful, but you see very little of the actual coast. Also, since we live here, we were focused on getting out of dodge! We did see a pretty cool car at a fueling stop:

That fella has some time on his hands, in addition to some other issues! We made it down the Washington coast and crossed into Oregon at Astoria. We started down the Oregon coast and made it to Manzanita. I think day one was about 280 miles. We camped at Nehalem Bay state park. Our first camp site...awwwww:

The park is right on the ocean, so after getting set up, we took a stroll down to the beach:

It was a bit windy and cool, so we didn't last long. It was still beautiful as always. We did see a guy kite sailing in the waves. Pretty cool. Oh and I saw this beatiful lass:

We had a good night's sleep and were excited for the next day's riding. We started down the Oregon coast. I have driven much of it, but never ridden a mile. WOW! Imagine 200 miles of twisties interspersed with neat little towns and jaw dropping scenery. A couple scenes:

My biker-chick wife:

I gotta say, she handled herself very well. If I was going too fast, she just went her own pace. She admitted later to being intimidated by the twisty roads. However, later in the trip, she said she'd like to go back and do the Oregon coast again with the confidence that her experience provided!
A few sea lions enjoying the sun:

We enjoyed a great lunch and were still in the heady, excited and nervous phase of the trip.

That's all for now. Much more later!

Jamie

·
Registered
226 Posts
First off I have to say

Man did you marry up!!!!! :cool:

Now for the pics, those are great can't wait to see the others, that is some amazing scenery. :) :35a:

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks fellas. I think I'm going to have to quit posting pictures of my self when I show my bride to spare the comparison! You're right though, I am completely blessed.

Jamie

·
Registered
132 Posts
It has been absolutely great watching Kim become a rider. :)
My wife even got my wife to read this post last night

Excellent pics!

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ok lemme see. We worked our way down the coast and as I said, it was amazing. We camped at a state park near Coos Bay, Oregon that night. Kim has recently taken up running for exercise. I've been running for years. So we found a golf course and did a few miles. Really beautiful. Unfortunately, I didn't get a pic of our campsite that night (the only one I missed, doh!) There was this nice stream nearby:

It took Kim a while to get used to my propensity for suddenly pulling off the road to take a picture. She just followed a bit further back. What a patient girl!

So we left Coos bay the next morning headed for Crater Lake. It was my intention to camp up there. On the way, though, we ran into a couple of Harley guys, and they steered us to Diamond Lake. I got a photo of their bikes, but not them!:

One of the guys ran snow cat at Daimond for years. He said it was a nicer place to stay. I fished there as a kid and had a vague picture in my mind of the campground. It was as pretty as I remember:

Kim is trying to simultaneously text her sister and swat mosquitoes. She is like a bug magnet! We were able to get a site right on the lake. Had a dinner of convenience store food and beer. It was a good evening.
I was up early the next morning and took a few pics for Kim. She loved this place and wanted it recorded! Here are a few:

After a breakfast of fignutens and water, we were on our way. We were getting good at breaking down camp. The first morning took about 2 hours. The second about half that.
So the first stop was Crater Lake. I was by there when I was a kid, but not since. Kim had never been. It is only about 20 miles from Diamond lake to the rim of Crater. As we entered the park, we came out of the trees into this:

The sign said "Pumice Desert," or something like that. My bride:

When we made to the rim where you can see into the crater, it was about 0900 hrs. The light was nice. But it was cold up there. I think the elevation is about 7000 feet, so we were glad we stayed at Diamond lake! Here are a few shots of the area:

I get bored quickly so I fished a bag of peanuts from my pack and found some friendly chipmonks:

Looking back to the North:

As much as I loved the beauty of the park, I was more moved by the closeness I felt with Kim. Here I am, it the middle of doing something I love, and my wife is right there with me. It doesn't get much cooler than that.

More to come. Next chapter: Bend, Or., Idaho, Wyoming.

Jamie

·
Registered
477 Posts
Jamie and Kimmy,sitting in a tree, K-I -S-S-I-N-G, first comes love, then comes marriage, then comes.....You get the picture:22a:
Can't wait to see you 2 again this summer, Oh, and cool report and pics and thanks for staying at the:19a: :11a: LOLOLOL...Dang, I think I'm passing a Stone.....No, I know I'm passing a Stone........:cool:

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Chapter 3

After a really enjoyable visit to Crater lake, we headed North for Sisters, Oregon, just outside Bend. Every year my family has a big reunion get-together in Sisters. It's the one time I get to see uncles, cousins, etc. It's always a good time.
Now so far we hadn't seen a straight stretch of road since we left home! As we came down off the mountain, we hit highway 138 East-bound. You could literally see 15 miles of road. I had to stop and take a picture:

A couple hours later, we rolled into Sisters: named after the three mountains to the SW, all over 10,000 feet:

As we pulled into the campgound, we were both looking forward to sitting on a couch. We found that camping affords no soft place to sit! My folks were gracious enough to let us stay with them for the reunion.

It felt strange to not have to unpack the bike. We had really nice visit with everyone and of course the main topic of conversation was the trip. Everyone was so impressed with Kim for riding a bike. We had a fair share of concern about the wisdom of riding bike with all the "crazies," out there. Kim always responded with "I'll not let my life be governed by fear." I love it! I really didn't get any pics of the reunion because we've been so many times. Saturday morning, we packed up and hit the road. We knew it was going to be one of our biggest milage days, so we were in the seat by 0700. We headed East across Oregon, hoping to make it to farewell Bend state park on the Idaho border. The first stretch of road was highway 26 East from Redmond. Pretty country:

During a pit stop, I noticed the gender difference in my bike and hers:

All rest area-ed up and ready to travel again:

The section of 26 between Prineville and Dayville is inspirational. Twisty, lots of elevation changes, canyons, etc:

We stopped at Dayville, a tiny little town for fuel and lunch. There were a lot of bikes on the road on this warm Saturday. We were both feeling good.

We passed a lot of beautiful farm land:

We had to actually backtrack on I-84 to get to the state park. Once we arrived, we liked it. All 98 degrees of it. Made for a nice evening though.

Snake River:

After that long day of riding, we were both tired, needed a shower and some food. We were sitting there trying to figure out where we would eat when a nice fellow comes by the camp and says, "we're having a family reunion a few sites down and we have way too much food. Would you like to join us?" Way too cool. We went and had a really good free meal and some nice fellowship.

We hit the road early the next morning intending to jet across Idaho. We had done that little section of freeway the day before and Kim was a bit nervous. Idaho's speed limit is 75 and her bike will do that on level ground with no head wind. So we knew it would be a long day. But we wanted to get to across ID quickly and that was the quickest way. I didn't get many pics that day. Oh, here's where we had lunch:

Kim did have a close call near Boise. A guy switched lanes into her. She saw it coming before he even made the move. What an alert gal! She smoothly moved to the shoulder, slowed, dropped in behind him and gave him her best glare through her full helmet and glasses. Kim just took her MSF course in December an so is a fairly new rider. Pretty mature for her experience.
The sherpa does not like high speed! It started drinking a bit of oil and its milage went from 75mpg to about 50mpg. But never a hiccup.

We made it to Pocatella and headed South on Hwy. 15. We came across a little brush fire on the way, see the helicopter dropping water?:

We arrived in Lava Springs Idaho after 359 miles of fun. We found a little campground (that I don't recommend) called River's Bend. Lava Springs has natural hot springs and a big water park as its main attractions. We were so beat, we really didn't enjoy the town like we could have. Our camp:

What happens when Kimmy gets the camera:

It's getting late so I will have to end here. I'm not even half done! Thanks for reading.

Jamie

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Chapter 4

I'll try to get a session in here before I have to go into work. OT, gotta love it!
After a good's night rest and the great feeling that the days ahead would be shorter milage and great scenery, we left Lava Springs headed NE. Eastern Idaho turned out to be a real bonus. The country was beautiful:

About an hour and a half later, we found ourselves in Wyoming! Kim was impressed with the mountain range seen from Etna.

We headed North toward Jackson. I think it is Jackson Hole, but I'm not sure. It was pretty touristy so we fueled up and kept moving. A while later the road led us to the entrance to the Grand Teton National Park. They tagged us for $20.00 per bike! Ouch. But that got us into Jellystone as well. The area was gorgeous. Lots of water and neat geography.

So we're cruising along the road enjoying ourselves and we come up a rise out of the trees into this view:

Dang! Those Tetons are grand! We just rode along a long flat paralleling this amazing range. We pulled off at a lot for pictures. Here is a series:

As we were busily enjoying the mountains and happened to see a coyote out for an afternoon hunt.

Just when you think, OK I have enough pictures of these mountains, you'd go around a curve in the road a see a better one:

We thoroughly enjoyed the park and would recommend that if you're going to Yellowstone, head South, it's worth the trip! As we crossed into Yellowstone, we saw a little sign series next to the road that read, "We came to see wildlife, from afar, until we hit one, with our car." Warning signs were everywhere alerting us to animals in the roadway. We had our eyes peeled. When we entered the park, we headed left, toward Old Faithful. I think it was about 45 miles. Soon, we began to see critters:

We made it to Old Faithful about 15 minutes prior to the next "show." We walked out into the sea of folks and waited. Here is what we stared at:

With these folks (this is about half:)

Soon enough, she went. Ooooooo, ahhhhhhhh.

I kinda liked Yellowstone. Of course there were a ton of people, and lots of traffic. But everyone seemed in a good mood and just happy to be there. It was a bluebird day and the wildlife was neat to see:

We camped at the Norris campground. What we didn't realize was that the area was at about 7500 feet. It got cooooold that night! Before we turned in, I walked down to the meadow and took these:

All in all, it was a pretty good day. Kim was having a great time, and if momma's happy...........
More later

Jamie

·
Registered
226 Posts
Awesome pics, I wish I could talk my wife into a ride like that. The only word that would cover that would be cool.

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
chapter 5

So this bit will be just Yellowstone. Seems as though I burned a lot of film there. So, we are camped at the Norris campground near the West entrance road. We were awake much of the night suffering with the cold. It apparently got down into the 20s that night. Poor Kim's 30 degree bag just wasn't doing the trick. Since I bought it, guilt finally got me up at 0400 hrs. I opened my bag up and spread over her and went searching for firewood. HA! It seemed every stick, twig or branch in the camp had been broken off for firewood. I finally gathered up enough for a meager fire. I think I got warmer searching for firewood for the next three hours than I did from the fire. We were out of coffee singles, so not even any coffee! I did take a stroll down to the meadow to look for those elk. Didn't see 'em:

Kim finally rolled out of the sack at about 0700 and we hurriedly packed up. It was only a 12 mile ride over to the Canyon Village and WARMTH, but it was miserable. We had the grip heaters cranked, but 12 miles in 20 degrees at 35 mph is just torture! We had some breakfast at the Village and waited for it to warm a bit. By 0900, we were ready to roll. We did have to get a shot of the famous yellow bus before we left:

We were headed North, but our first stop was a few mile South at Artist's Point or the Grand Canyon of the Yellowstone. On the way, we found this fella warming up as well:

The canyon was well worth the backtrack:

As we worked North, I spotted a dirt road that went up the ridge above us. We road dual-sports all this way, we had to check it out! The Chittenden Road (as I found out it was called) let back to the South and to the top of Mt. Washburn, 10243 ft. Unfortunately, it was blocked about half of the way up. We did see some nice sights though:

Where I wanted to go:

Headed down the hill:

We kinda just slowly worked our way North out of the Park, just stopping at things that looked interesting. It was a really nice, relaxed morning. Here are the remaining shots:

We were stopped at Rooselvelt Lodge and while I was paying for gas, Kim caught this neat sight (notice sign)

More coolness:

See the buffalo?

See the elk? (I keed, I keed!)

That's about it for Yellowstone. Kim and I agreed it would be neat to bring the kids next time. I don't think that we'll go on our own again. The cool part of biking it is that you can pull over in places that a car cannot. Plus, like all biking, you experience things is a much more pure way: the smell, the sights, the sounds, etc. We love it!

Jamie

·
Registered
331 Posts
Absolutely fantastic you two!!! I don't think Kim could have had a more beautiful first trip--how wonderful for you both....I am with Kim on doing major freeways with a dual sport:57: they should never be ridden on anything with more than two lanes-LOL--but sometimes it is not avoidable:18: Glad it turned out to be a great experience for you both-------now,you guys need to get some bike to bike communication--Mike and I have chatter boxes and wouldn't leave home without them on a trip-both voice activated or push button--he doesn't worry about me behind him anymore---"you okay back there? "' he lets me know when there are deer ,gravel,road hazards ahead along with the great sites we make sure each other sees. They are also great in letting the other know if you need to make a pitstop.:ashamed0001:
A great report and outstanding scenery Jamie--and tell Kim--BRAVO!!! on her first trip!!!!

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Absolutely fantastic you two!!! I don't think Kim could have had a more beautiful first trip--how wonderful for you both....I am with Kim on doing major freeways with a dual sport:57: they should never be ridden on anything with more than two lanes-LOL--but sometimes it is not avoidable:18: Glad it turned out to be a great experience for you both-------now,you guys need to get some bike to bike communication--Mike and I have chatter boxes and wouldn't leave home without them on a trip-both voice activated or push button--he doesn't worry about me behind him anymore---"you okay back there? "' he lets me know when there are deer ,gravel,road hazards ahead along with the great sites we make sure each other sees. They are also great in letting the other know if you need to make a pitstop.:ashamed0001:
A great report and outstanding scenery Jamie--and tell Kim--BRAVO!!! on her first trip!!!!
Thanks Kay!
I bought some communications headsets that were supposed to work with my motorola radios. But on the day of departure, they were just working sporatically. So we ditched them. We will have something for next time! Kim did great and has decided that she 1) wants a bigger bike and 2) wants to ride to Chicago to see her brother. Oy!

Jamie

1 - 20 of 31 Posts