Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I now have over 400 miles on the KLR, I am working on a ride report for when the break in period is over and I can run it through its paces. But after 400 miles you have a good idea of how a bike will meet your expectations.

So was it a mistake to trade off “M” a fast muscle cruiser full of attitude and a love for the road for bike that was designed with compromise as the theme? The Suzuki M95 was a great road bike, it got reasonable gas mileage (just a tick under 40 mpg), it looked and sounded mean, there was more then enough power, and it was a comfortable cruiser.

In contrast the KLR is a light high seated bike that looks to be better suited for trail riding then for the road. A dirt bike with a fairing which make it look a little cumbersome and heavy. It doesn’t look like it would be fun to sit on for a 300 mile jaunt and the fairing looks utterly useless except as a design queue. The sound it emits doesn’t exactly inspire respect. Riding late one night tooling through a field the rabbits just laughed at the bike not the least bit afraid.

After 400 miles here is what I can tell you, first at 350 miles I finally decided to fill the bike up, it had not yet hit reserve. It took 5.5 gallons that is 63 mpg, I imagine that will go down some after the break in period is over and I can actually ride with the flow of traffic.

On the road that little fairing is very impressive, no it doesn’t keep the wind off but it does reduce buffeting to nil. It has a very smooth ride much smoother then “M” had and in the twisties it is very capable and sure footed. Acceleration, well being limited to 4k it is hard to tell, but I can tell you that when you hit 3K it is like flipping a switch, almost like an old 2 stroke. None the less it gets up to speed quite nicely.

Off Road, I haven’t had a lot of time to play off road and there isn’t much trail riding around here, but I have tooled around and over some rough ground, taken it over a few small hills, through some mud and across gravel and sand. For the most part it handles these things well. I have to remember certain things like getting the weight off the front wheel when in the mud, sand, and gravel but even when I didn’t still handled well. Up hill so far has been point it and go nothing to tax it at all.

To this point I am very pleased, it is a fun bike to jump on and just go exploring. In traffic it is much easier to handle then “M” was. With the tail bag it has even become a grocery getter.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It is a Field Sheer the dealer threw it in. I believe they were selling it for $59 which isn't bad. I will probablly get a hard case down the road.

·
Registered
272 Posts
I love my 08 klr. I bought it for my 50 mi commute, I have twisties and some graverl depending on the route. Regular 50 mpg so far. (880 mi).
Having built hundreds of m/c motors, I highly agree with Moto-man's technique.
My break-in was done 500 miles ago though I've not seen redline yet. No need. The quiet exhaust is stealth for bootleggin' trails.
It ain't no dirtbike, I have a ktm400 that is one.
No farkle

·
Registered
1,980 Posts
42 - 43 doesn't sound quite right. That is what i was getting with a Main jet way too large and running way rich. I'm over 350# and still averaged between 48 and 52 MPG, just depending on how much fun I was wanting to have. Albeit mine is an 07.

·
Registered
272 Posts
400 miles later was 480 miles ago

Actually mine has 880 on it now. As fas as the 50mpg; mine is all stock so far.
Generally running up and down the rev range around 5k rpm (about 70mph) back and forth to work in twisty roads, so not baby'ing it. I run it thru the gears, occassionally seeing hi-er rpm, like up 6-7k rpm.
I intend to go for some really good fuel mileage. To this point I wanted to get it broke in(95% done) and baseline the fuel mileage at 50-52
I will go taller on the gearing and shorten the hbars to ge out of the wind.
Will have special rear sprockets done as I want taller than usually available.
I think there is only room for one tooth more on the front.
Also I have arranged to have a better windscreen made to advance the areo pkg for comfort and ability to pull taller gear.
Haven't put a wrench on it yet except for changing the oil twice.
Oh yeah, and adjusting the headlite aiming.
I am enjoying my rides on it. I have not ridden on the streets and road regularly for the last 20 odd years. My riding has been offroad and on roadrace tracks, deeming roads to be more dangerous. A lond time ago, before I could afford cars and trucks I rode street daily for years. But, I digress.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I know what you mean. I haven't been on the road for about 15-years myself. I have some long rides planned for next year but right now I am just enjoying the new bike with a week or so more to go with break in.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Well I now have over 400 miles on the KLR, I am working on a ride report for when the break in period is over and I can run it through its paces. But after 400 miles you have a good idea of how a bike will meet your expectations.

So was it a mistake to trade off “M” a fast muscle cruiser full of attitude and a love for the road for bike that was designed with compromise as the theme? The Suzuki M95 was a great road bike, it got reasonable gas mileage (just a tick under 40 mpg), it looked and sounded mean, there was more then enough power, and it was a comfortable cruiser.

In contrast the KLR is a light high seated bike that looks to be better suited for trail riding then for the road. A dirt bike with a fairing which make it look a little cumbersome and heavy. It doesn’t look like it would be fun to sit on for a 300 mile jaunt and the fairing looks utterly useless except as a design queue. The sound it emits doesn’t exactly inspire respect. Riding late one night tooling through a field the rabbits just laughed at the bike not the least bit afraid.

After 400 miles here is what I can tell you, first at 350 miles I finally decided to fill the bike up, it had not yet hit reserve. It took 5.5 gallons that is 63 mpg, I imagine that will go down some after the break in period is over and I can actually ride with the flow of traffic.

On the road that little fairing is very impressive, no it doesn’t keep the wind off but it does reduce buffeting to nil. It has a very smooth ride much smoother then “M” had and in the twisties it is very capable and sure footed. Acceleration, well being limited to 4k it is hard to tell, but I can tell you that when you hit 3K it is like flipping a switch, almost like an old 2 stroke. None the less it gets up to speed quite nicely.

Off Road, I haven’t had a lot of time to play off road and there isn’t much trail riding around here, but I have tooled around and over some rough ground, taken it over a few small hills, through some mud and across gravel and sand. For the most part it handles these things well. I have to remember certain things like getting the weight off the front wheel when in the mud, sand, and gravel but even when I didn’t still handled well. Up hill so far has been point it and go nothing to tax it at all.

To this point I am very pleased, it is a fun bike to jump on and just go exploring. In traffic it is much easier to handle then “M” was. With the tail bag it has even become a grocery getter.

I agree. I too just rode a cruise, for 3 year. Then a few weeks ago I picked up a 2009 KLR...and LOVE it compared to my cruiser. I took my cruiser for a spin after riding the KLR for a couple of weeks.....and now find the cruiser horrible!!!! As a matter of fact, the cruiser is now up forsale! :character00271:

·
Premium Member
1,585 Posts
Got over 1000 miles and lovin' this scooter !!!!
Hadda legal issue to sort out (71 day lockup, old warrant, oopsie.)
Otherwise this would have been the usual 3-5 thousand mile summer.

This bike does everything I want and need it to do.
It's fast, but not a racer.
Corners hard, but isn't a rocket.
Shreds dirt roads n' trails, but isn't a true dirtbike.

I didn't want a rocket, cruiser, or a motocrosser. I got
excactly what I wanted and am nothing but pleased.
This thing delivers a smile every time I fire her up for a ride.
There's no need to go over 100 mph on a bike in my opinion
except at a safe place like a track, and in the first couple of gears
the acceleration nearly yanks my shoulders out of socket just
the way a torque-oriented machine should do. No revving up
to 8 thousand rpms to have a great time. Just twist it and be
pulled into the fun zone! There's no second-guessing myself
on this purchase. It's mine and NOT for sale.

(I chose the black one since black is the fastest color:).)

Lovin' it,
Cheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeap

·
Premium Member
1,585 Posts
As a side note: There's a ton of opinions on how to break in a new engine or a rebuild.
With the advent of CNC machining and laser measuring to compensate for tool wear and such
during the manufacturing process, engine break-ins have changed drastically in the
last decade. My mom's new Buick instructions were to "drive as you normally would"
right off the showroom floor.

I babied mine for 100 miles, easing it up and down through the gears, two oil changes
in that short time, and have been beating 'er up since. It's never been over
7,000 rpms and never will so I'm not worried about it flying apart.

·
Registered
65 Posts
06 klr

I bought mine new in 2006. Broke it in with the MotoMan technique. Changed the oil every 1000 mi. This bike has never burned oil and has never leaked anywhere. So far in 16K miles this bike has been flawless! Never has the gas mileage been less than 53MPG. I have ridden it to work everyday and on the weekends off road in at times... on some pretty hairy trails. Never given me a bit of trouble.

The weight of the bike is my only downfall. I haven't the skills to handle the weight on knarley trails. This leads to low confidence to really push it like I want to. I have lost some strength in the last few years due to a bout with cancer. I have purchased a lighter bike that suits me better so my beloved KLR is up for sale. It is in the classifieds now. Priced to sell and it will make the buyer very happy.

The KLR is really the most universal bike I have ever ridden. It will do anything your body will take and it just keeps on ticking. This bike has lived up to all of my expectations.

Long live the KLR!!!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts