Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm 12 miles over 500miles on my 2007. I failed to read all the things that are suppose to be done via the owners manual, as well as it suggest having it done by a competent mechanic. I changed the oil and oil filter, but there are a few things that I do not have a clue on. Are all the items of great importance? Could this void any warranty or discourage someone from buying it in the future if I don't take it to a dealer for the 500 mile maintenance, or am I just being paranoid? Thanks for the input.

·
Registered
1,980 Posts
:) Overly paranoid.... I have yet taken mine to a dealer for anything. As long as you log your reciepts and show the maintenance has been done, by your or anyone else, your warranty cannot be voided. Just enjoy the bike, keep up your current maintenance and you will be fine. The other things to keep an eye on, are keep your air filter cleaned. Get a can of foam filter cleaner and a can of foam filter oil spray and keep that air filter breathing good. Once per oil change is good, more often if you do gravel and dirt roads. Check all your bolts for tightness. Actually this is a good time now to remove each bolt you can get your hands on and put drop of Blue Loc-tite on each one. These thumpers will cause bolts to loosen and drop out over time if you are not observant about making sure they are tight. You could check your valves now, but if your bike still feels strong and your MPG hasn't changed I wouldn't worry about them till around 6000 miles. I had to change all four shims at that time on my 07. Install a good inline fuel filter, got mine from the dealer. There have been a lot of issues lately with sediment in gas tanks and carbs which can cause bunch of issues. Thats about it. Brake pads for me was around 6k miles front and rear. Buy a magnetic drain plug for your next oil change. They really help pulling out the small particles from clutch wear and internal engine wear. People vary on their mileage for oil changes, I try to do mine by at least 2000 miles. Oil is way too cheap to not change and keep the motor in good condition. I hope you did remember to pull the metal tube from the oil filter when you changed the filter. Many people over look that little item. It will only fit one way, the small end in towards the engine.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts