1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Administrator
3,564 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I read several ride reports where people have ridden them to Alaska, just can't find anything where somebody did one coast to coast in under 50 hrs

·
Registered
5,540 Posts
Want to try, rodneyw71? You could be the first man to boldly go where no man has gone before, in this regard.

Possible, I think. A guy with MS did the Iron Butt Rally (something like, 11,000 miles in 11 days, I think), on a URAL! Had to fabricate pushrods by the side of the road, on the clock!

·
Registered
89 Posts
I couldn't do it.

Too many freakin' beautiful places to explore in between the ponds !!!

This would be me. I always find myself taking a way longer trip than planned due to me finding all the shiny things next to the road and stopping. Or passing some dirt road I have not been down before and seeing where it goes.

I don't "ride" a lot but I do explore a lot.

Going coast to coast from NY to LA is 2789 miles in 40 hours according to Google, average of 70mph. Riding it in 50 requires an average speed of 56 mph the entire way. Sleep deprivation like that really screws with your body, your thinking and reaction times, no thanks.

·
Registered
5,540 Posts
At the considerable risk of fomenting controversy, I bring up some considerations regarding marathon motorcycle riding:

The Interstate Commerce Commission requires crew rest for long-haul truckers, in the interest of public safety, insuring alertness and physical competence of truck drivers.

The Federal Aviation Administration requires crew rest/relief for airline pilots and crew, in the interest of public safety, insuring alertness and physical competence of flight crews.

Do iron butt riders increase accident risk to themselves and others by their prolonged forays in the saddle? If so, is this voluntary jeopardy justified, excused? How, and why?

If riding under the influence of mind-altering substances denotes impaired functioning, does not fatigue, sleep deprivation?

Let fly your comments! :)

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
It was a simple question, I don't say anything about what other people do with their motorcycles, you want to ride off road, cool, poker runs, go for it, long distant riding is what I do, I am a member of the AMA and support everything on two wheels, if you have any other questions then maybe set up an account on the Ironbutt forums and ask away, have a good ride.

·
Registered
5,540 Posts
No offense intended, rodneyw71!

Just a couple of questions:

1. How does one train for long-distance riding?

2. How does one stay alert at, say, the ending miles of a "50 cc?"

It's a free country, and anyone can ride his/her bike for whatever duration they choose; maybe even a 100 cc/bb (coast-to-coast, and border-to-border in 100 hours). I only ask about alertness and vigilance issues, if any exist, on long rides.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I take the long distance riding really serious, so I exercIse and get plenty of rest before a ride, I'm a morning person so I try and leave really early, get the most miles I can before say 7pm, that way I can stop more often and not get tired, I don't drink coffee or energy drinks, all I need is water, granola bars and music and I can sit there for hours, time management is the biggest thing with this type of riding, I have a cdl so I keep my speed at about 5 over, if I get a ticket I could loose my job, so I try and make my fuel and bathroom stops as short and simple as possible.
Everybody has their passion, I don't drink, do drugs, gamble, I spend my free time and money riding and traveling, I have no other hobbies, I didn't mean to come off s****y, I just think no matter what you ride or how you like to ride we all need to stick together.

·
Premium Member
1,586 Posts
I've pulled two 1000+ mile days and it took quite a bit
of extra concentration last few hours both times.

Different than a cage, riders fatigue even faster being
stuck more or less rigid in only one or two comfortable
riding positions.

Both times "pumping up" roadside made all the difference in the world.
I do a set of (pushups 20-30), then run HARD about a hundred feet away
from, then back to the bike. It totally wakes a man up, and holds up
for almost an hour. Pull over, pee, repeat when the senses start getting
dim. I do the same thing on cage trips to stay on top of my game when the
family's life is in my hands.

Nothing crazy, but doing some cardio stretches the riding/driving day longer
without the use of energy drinks n' coffee. When a pump-up only works for
10 minutes, travel is done for the day, period. There's a time to put the keys
away.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Here I thought the the thread was going to be about boring out your bike. hahaha.

All seriousness, long distance riding is definitely not something to take lightly. You fall asleep on that bike and depending on where you are you are not only putting yourself in danger. Let's face it, not everyone is a good driver. Cager sees a bike coming straight at them, they will more than likely turn off the mountain side, into a railing, or into oncoming traffic.

I've done some long rides (nothing crazy) and that riding fatigue is no joke. You definitely need to get some activity in just to stay sane.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Best thing about riding far on a KLR is that you dont have to stop to stand up and take pressure off the soft parts :grin2:

Best i ever did on mine was a trip to Deals gap and back when i first got the bike.

Did 2026 miles in 3 days. Wouldnt ever want to try it again.

:character00201:

·
Registered
368 Posts
Motorcycle riding is statistically more dangerous than driving. Every single motorcyclist chooses this activity in spite of the danger to themselves and others. Non-motorcyclists are sometimes baffled that we can make this illogical choice.

IBA riders seem to make a similar choice; an activity that can be more hazardous than just day riding. The few IBA riders that I know take riding safety seriously.

I have never done a ride as long as 50cc. I have ridden several 1,000+ mile days since it just happens to be 1,025 miles from my home to where I had worked most of my life and where my family lived.

Every motorcyclist believes to some extent in personal exceptionalism: "it's dangerous for some but I can handle it." IBA riders believe the same thing.

I may be done with them, but they remain a collection of rides where I entered the zone and remained in the zone through state after state. Great experiences that I'm sure many people wouldn't understand. Like motorcycling.

·
Registered
368 Posts
My first 1,000-mile day was returning to Maine from my dad's house. I was planning to camp at a NY state park. I had ridden through some good twisties in PA and was riding up NY 10 or NY 30 -- very entertaining roads. Before I got to the campground I thought "I'm having more fun doing this than I will have camping; I'll just ride farther and stop when I need to". On up into the VT mountains at dusk and through NH and ME at night. I arrived home at about 2AM, safe and elated after a magical motorcycle ride.

After that I rode straight through several times although once I took naps beside the bike because I DID feel tired. I also sometimes rode 2 days each way with a normal overnight camp.

One rider stayed here before starting on the longest 50cc -- Eastport, ME to LaPush, WA -- which is 3,600 miles instead of 2,900 (NY-SF) or 2,400 (Jacksonille to San Diego). She rode it west then a week later she rode it east setting various records each direction. She arrived back in Eastport and asked for a recommendation for a big seafood supper. We ate and chatted for well over an hour and she was alert and lucid, calm and collected. Story in the Winter 2013 Iron Butt magazine.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts