Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is a question out of curiosity. I was surfing for tires last night and came across 6 ply tires for the KLR.
My question(s) is/are why would you run a 6 ply tire, have any of you done so and what was your experence with them?

harley dog :roll:

·
Registered
143 Posts
Way back in the day, I had some Barnum 6 plys on my Suzuki TM400. Them tires were tougher than Chinese arithmetic. When it finally came time to change them, I had to cut them off because they were so tough.

6 plys will give you more puncture resistance at the cost of less sidewall flex.

And not even offers of free beer will entice me to help spoon them on.

·
Registered
280 Posts
For those of us that tour, a 6 ply would be great for all the extra crap we carry on the bike, sort of like the dif between a load range c and d truck tire.

·
Registered
14 Posts
harley dog said:
This is a question out of curiosity. I was surfing for tires last night and came across 6 ply tires for the KLR.
My question(s) is/are why would you run a 6 ply tire, have any of you done so and what was your experence with them?

that seems like excessive plies for klr tires.sounds pricey.what kind are those?and that is when i would let a tire shop take them on/off.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Some six ply tires arn't as tough as you think. Have run them before, alittle stiffer, but not a problem.

Some six ply tires are less rigid than other 4 ply ones. Don' t know how they come about their ratings?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
klr/dale said:
harley dog said:

that seems like excessive plies for klr tires.sounds pricey.what kind are those?and that is when i would let a tire shop take them on/off.
I was looking at the Cheng Shin www.mawonline.com/chengshi.htm

Have "Heard" good things about them but no first hand info. I also understand that some 6 ply M/C tires are 6 ply but with a 4 ply sidewall which I would imagin would make for easier spooning. :lol:
harley dog

1 - 6 of 6 Posts