Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Administrator
8,262 Posts
The 600 had a 96mm bore and a 78mm stroke.

It looks like they bored and stroked it to 100X83 to get to 650. And that's assuming they DID save the case and do a bore and stroke and didn't just start over from scratch, dunno.

I would surmise that the crank, piston, and barrel are different. The head might be interchangeable, but may have a smaller squish area.

To make the 600 into a 650 you'd have to replace everything from the crank up.

I would guess that everything from the crank up is going to be problematic. The bottom end stuff may be interchangeable.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i wasn't gonna make a 650 just wanted to know for parts. theirs way more 650's out there and they still make parts for them but i was kinda hoping the head would be the same

·
Administrator
8,262 Posts
gpzbob -

Yeah, I knew that. It was just my clumsy way of saying the top end probably wasn't interchangeable.

See, ya don't haf to tawk gud or even speel to be a modrater heer.:)

That's part of why vatrader likes pictures so much....

T

·
Registered
1 Posts
I just Purchased a KLR 600 and I am trying to get it running. Carb has cracks in the diaphragm. I have priced out entire carburetors to about the same price as what i can get the diaphragm for.

Q: Will a (86') KLR 650 carburetor fit a (84) KLR 600?

·
Administrator
8,262 Posts
NewRiderKLR600

The KLR600 and all 650s use the Keihin CVK40, so yes.

Harley Davidson Sportsters also use a version of the CVK40. I think the prime difference is that the Sportser version has an accelerator pump. HD charges a whole lot less for spare and replacement parts than Kawasaki does.

You might want to go to the HD store and see what they want for a diaphragm.

Welcome to the forum!

T

·
Registered
71 Posts
NewRiderKLR600

The KLR600 and all 650s use the Keihin CVK40, so yes.

Harley Davidson Sportsters also use a version of the CVK40. I think the prime difference is that the Sportser version has an accelerator pump. HD charges a whole lot less for spare and replacement parts than Kawasaki does.

You might want to go to the HD store and see what they want for a diaphragm.

Welcome to the forum!

T
I also own a Buell thunderbolt along with my KLR. It's a 1200 sportster on steroids so trust me when I say the only thing cheap about harley parts is their construction.

HD= HUNDRED DOLLARS :character00271:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts