Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have just finished my engine upgrades about 500 miles ago on my '09. I am a larger rider at 6'6" and 325lbs and really wanted a little more from my KLR. After many dyno runs and tons of patience I am at a loss of torque, and power of all sorts, at 6300rpm. Is that an ignition issue? If so, is there a fix?
My setup is: 705 kit, header, pipe, jet kit, cams, port polish, airbox removal with air stack and pod filter.
I love the power change and this bike is a different beast. Just wondering on what can be done after 6300rpms. Does anyone have a programmable ignition?

·
Registered
894 Posts
You're beating a dead horse with the KLR. At 6' 6" & 325 Lbs, you need a Africa Twin. Twice the horsepower of the KLR from the factory. The KLR is not for everyone. All you have to do is sign at the X.
:grin2:

·
Registered
4 Posts
Great option for another bike I agree. The klr is a project and a blast to ride everywhere. Money is spent and maybe even foolishly. But I am happy getting the most out of what I enjoy. Just need help with an option after 6300rpm. If there is one.I also own a1996 gpz and every one said why didn't you just buy a zx11. My answer was my gpz is faster than your zx11 and I love to ride to deals gap not trailer it there. The KLr is here to stay.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5,540 Posts
Beyond 6300 rpm, you may be pushing the capability of the KLR's intake and exhaust potential ("breathing"): Valves come to mind. You don't mention larger-diameter valves.

I'd imagine the ignition is robust enough for high rpm operation; doubt if altering spark timing would gain much; hard to deviate from the factory-determined advance.

All that said . . . others have suggested other model motorcycles in a quest for performance beyond the KLR650 . . . for example, the KTM690 puts out about 70 hp; hard for even the most skillfully-tuned KLR650 engine makeover to achieve . . . closer apple-to-apple comparisons, perhaps . . . look at your Versyses . . . 650 or 1000 cc displacement choices . . .

All that said, you've done a great deal within the world of the possible with your KLR650 (now, KLR705); ride it with pride and enjoyment!

·
Registered
259 Posts
You are too close to redline and beyond the torque curve. It's a thumper not an inline 2,4 or 6. I put a 14t front sprocket so hit higher revs often. Won't do you much good though since you probably want higher speed passing ability. I have used the shoulder in the past cuz doing it legally just was not going to happen with oncoming traffic.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hot cams installed. Just seems like the ignition regards a little or something at those rpms. I agree that I might have the most out of the girl as it is. If that is the case I have reached my goal.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
259 Posts
Going from the KLR to the AT is shocking as far as power, suspension, etc... I like them both however and have no desire to let the KLR go.

No this little gem is pretty gutless.

I am noticing a trend and will now have to paint the KLR red, white, and black?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I did read somewhere on the net about a couple of guys who had a nitrous klr. hmmm.... curious...... one of their quotes I like, "So why do I ride a Kawasaki KLR and not a bike more designed for speed racing? First, I like the challenge of making a silk purse out of a sow’s ear." not exactly what I was going for, but inspiration none the less. I already have a zx 14 that is stupid fast. I'm just fine tuning my sow's ear.

·
Registered
5,540 Posts
There's a guy who's gone after the title of, "World's Fastest KLR" (q.v., "World's Fastest Indian").

Extensively modified, he's run at Bonneville and at the Texas Mile.

Low, 100 + mph, as in the 120s, IIRC. Maybe it IS, the world's fastest KLR.

·
Registered
894 Posts
It's a KLR so you're never going to set any speed or acceleration records. You don't buy one to compete with litre bikes. I don't think there's much more you can do besides what you've already thrown into it.
Agreed. The only thing left is to only ride down hill.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I talked to Kerry O'Day this morning and picked his brain. His klr is 64hp without the nitrous. He just hit 144mph today. He is using the stock ignition. He has tried other ignitions and didn't work as well as the originals. He has gone to great lengths to build up his klr. Maybe a carburetor and larger vales another year for a project during the winter for my baby. As for now I will leave her be and enjoy the ride even if I have to pass on the right, while going down hill. :) I added a little more oil to about the halfway mark and went for a short ride this morning. no oil issues dripping out. The filter cap is still dry.
Dyno says 46.34hp and 42.29ftlbs. torque. Not complaining I just cant leave things well enough alone. I love this bike.

·
Registered
5,540 Posts
Any links to Kerry O'Day and his bike?

144 mph; where was this speed recorded? Very impressive, far above the top speed of the souped-up KLR650 in the Texas Mile and at Bonneville.

I believe the Texas Mile speeds are up on the 'Net.

EDIT: Here's the latest official Texas Mile top speeds I could find (104.5 mph):

https://www.texasmile.net/mileresults.php?event=9&cni=2125

Obviously, Kerry O'Day has achieved breakthroughs since these speeds were recorded.

Latest Texas Mile run I found was in 2015:

http://www.texasmile.net/mileresults.php?event=15

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
His personal best is update in the lower right of the page. I just talked to him today and he reached over the 144.178 mark Thursday. That is not on the webpage yet.
He holds the world record for the klr 650 on the FIM record site at 122
Here is his website.

worldsfastestklr dot com

sorry cannot post links yet

·
Registered
894 Posts
144 on a KLR must seem a little fast. I've done 90 and it was fast enough for a KLR. My Goldwing felt like is was sitting in the garage at 100.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts