Kawasaki KLR Forum banner
21 - 40 of 48 Posts

· Premium Member
12,570 Posts
Paul reminded me that I've not been keeping up with this thread.

For some reason the gasket I got in Wössner's kit was under-size at 105mm vs 109mm. It wouldn't go over the liner. I ordered an OEM gasket as that is my preference over getting a properly sized Cometic. I let Wöessner know about the problem. I must have been the first to get their gasket kit.

That set me back quite a bit as it was back-ordered and it took all of a couple of weeks to get it.

The bike has been down since late February, but I've used the time to do some electrical work and build out a new, fully sealed, air box, go through the right side to make sure the balancer system is in good shape and properly timed, and wait two weeks for the head and cylinder to get done.

Most Curious.

Tom
I'll just guess that the base gasket might fit a KLR600.

Now,
Explain to us just how you crawled thru the engine from the RH side to inspect the Balancer System from the inside-out? :) lol

· Administrator
10,241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 · (Edited)
I'll just guess that the base gasket might fit a KLR600...
I thought that, too, but have no idea what the liner outside diameter is on a KLR600.

I have always had problems with right and left, but never NSEW. It's sort of a dyslexia.

My wife long ago learned not to trust me when I tell her to turn right or left, but to trust me if I say "Go this way" and point.

You should see me in my step aerobics class. I'm the one going left when the 25 old ladies are going right.

I also can't remember street names. I've lived here for 40 years and can tell you how to get anywhere within a 20 mile radius, but I have to do it with landmarks and NSEW directions. While walking the dog a few weeks ago I got stopped by a really lost couple who wanted to know how to get to Long Beach. I told them to go 1 mile east, turn left when they saw Lindberg Nutrition, go 1 mile, turn east when they saw Best Buy, and go 20 miles until they hit Long Beach.

I should have told them to turn south and go 1 mile instead of turn left and go 1 mile. They probably wound up in Hollywood...

I did go through the right side, too. Reduced the clutch basket end play from ~.020" to .010".

Tom

Reactions: willys

· Administrator
10,241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
A while back. It's all together and should be started this weekend.

Tom

Reactions: Cabrito

· Missed Gear
1,174 Posts
Hey Tom,
That's going to be awesome when it's all buttoned up!

· Administrator
10,241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Michael,

It's shameful how long it has taken, but I've just had so much going on for the past couple of months. The "Speed of Tom" has been about 'three hours of work per month'! Little did I know that my ride back form the Sacramento tech day would be my last on the KLR for three months!

I have some electrical work to finish today and then I think I can finish the mechanical work and get it out for a break-in ride tomorrow, weather permitting. It's raining right now; not sure what tomorrow will be like.

Tom

· Registered
1,481 Posts
You beat me to the request!

I'm planning to clean up the convex (counter sunk) oil pockets on top of the connecting rod small end. It doesn't seem a bad idea to try to direct a bit more oil into the wrist pin.

Wondering if anyone has any thoughts as the pin and piston cooling are the only areas which seem of possible concern with the PD Westman mod.

Assume you're including that and the other oiling mods, Tom?

I'm wondering if it is already too late for Tom to take pics of the oil return holes in the ring land and maybe any oiling holes in the piston pin boss?
Maybe measure the return hole size's?

We sure can be a demanding bunch, sorry Tom. We'll appreciate any and all info which is presented.

· Registered
1,481 Posts
Outside diameter of the 600 liner of crank case opening?

I thought that, too, but have no idea what the liner outside diameter is on a KLR600.

I have always had problems with right and left, but never NSEW. It's sort of a dyslexia.

My wife long ago learned not to trust me when I tell her to turn right or left, but to trust me if I say "Go this way" and point.

You should see me in my step aerobics class. I'm the one going left when the 25 old ladies are going right.

I also can't remember street names. I've lived here for 40 years and can tell you how to get anywhere within a 20 mile radius, but I have to do it with landmarks and NSEW directions. While walking the dog a few weeks ago I got stopped by a really lost couple who wanted to know how to get to Long Beach. I told them to go 1 mile east, turn left when they saw Lindberg Nutrition, go 1 mile, turn east when they saw Best Buy, and go 20 miles until they hit Long Beach.

I should have told them to turn south and go 1 mile instead of turn left and go 1 mile. They probably wound up in Hollywood...

I did go through the right side, too. Reduced the clutch basket end play from ~.020" to .010".

Tom

· Missed Gear
1,174 Posts
Sounds great Tom.

I wanna do mine so bad. One of these days.

· Administrator
10,241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
Michael,

With the Wössner you'll be down for a while, as you have to farm out the machine work. My machine work took almost two weeks, as they had to do the head and wait on some valve guides for the exhaust side. Plus there was the normal queue time, which is about a week for that shop.

With the 685 you can do it on a cylinder exchange basis and it can be done in a day of good work.

I just had to be different.

Tom

· Administrator
10,241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·

· Registered
6,280 Posts
Bike runs, no parts left over . . . signs of a successful operation!

Yet . . . NO MORE CHEAP GASOLINE! :)

(About time some hop-up artist seized upon the tried-and-true technique of raising the compression ratio (not to gainsay the increased displacement). Much more lucrative sources of additional power output than, I should think . . . finessing valve timing.

Or even . . . dare I say it? Installing a check-valve in the crankcase vent line . . . )

I add my congratulations, Tom!

· Administrator
10,241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
Thanks! Kinda funny, I used to always use 91, then started using 87 a couple of years ago.

Back to 91. At least I can share gas with the BMW again.

Tom

· Administrator
10,241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 · (Edited)
Soon.

I've gotta go someplace for a burger and a beer.

I hear Local Burger in Lawrence, KS has a pretty good one. I heard that last time I was at LCAAP. Seems like a good ride.

Just have to figure out where.

Tom

· Premium Member
5,655 Posts
Being a Missourian, I personally stay away from Lawrence, KS after Quantrill's raid back in 1863. Plus, sounds like the Local Burger there has closed.

As Savage can probably attest, Vista Burger in Manhattan, KS. is pretty awesome as an alternative.......

On a more serious note, even though your project is beyond my scope, I enjoyed this thread. Nice work and thanks for telling us about it!

· Administrator
10,241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 ·
What?!! I'm going to upbraid the locals who recommended the place, or at least write a very sternly worded letter.

Manhattan, eh?

That could work.

Tom

21 - 40 of 48 Posts