Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,453 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Trying to find out how many KLRforum.com riders have installed the 685 kit and what their opinion. Don't be shy to share your experiences and opinions.

·
Premium Member
2,453 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I know more than one KLRforum rider has a 685 kit installed. Heck I helped one rider install his.

This is your chance to brag :)

·
Registered
111 Posts
I have one. Because it's a 685 and it's red means it's pretty damn fast! I love mine when it gets in the 'power zone', which seems to be around 4500 to 5000. Anywhere else in the RPM range is just okay. I may need to tweek my carb a little.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Just installed mine and have about 200 miles on it...So far so good, but yep: There's a lot of carb tweakin going on...I have an understanding, but jetting has never been a strength of mine.
Resources welcomed.

·
Premium Member
822 Posts
Just installed mine and have about 200 miles on it...So far so good, but yep: There's a lot of carb tweakin going on...I have an understanding, but jetting has never been a strength of mine.
Resources welcomed.
i went lectron. uses metering rod. awesome throttle response. no jets to fumble with. i pulled 56 mpg in the mountains with this carb
Screenshot_2019-09-06-07-13-24.png

·
Premium Member
8,044 Posts
Maverick, Can you show us a pic of the throttle slide & needle removed from the carb?
Can you show us a pic of the OEM, KLX & Lectron needles side by side?

·
Premium Member
160 Posts
EIGHT HUNDRED BUCKS???????????

I hope it can cook ya breakfast in the morning.

·
Premium Member
8,044 Posts
wanted something different 😉
A friend / customer / riding partner just installed a Lectron on his 2 stroke 200? Suzuki RM250 that he acquired & refurbished last year. The oem Keihin carb had a low speed burble that he could Not tune out, drove him Nuts.

Last week we rode our KX500's. Next time out he will be on the RM250. I'll watch for a smile or a frown at stops.

Reactions: maverick9611

·
Premium Member
3,563 Posts
I recently installed two Eaglemike 685's, one on my 2001 and the kit, quality and service is excellent. The bike runs smooth and the power difference is noticeable. .....I don't recommend ripping apart a perfectly running KLR unless it is time for a rebuild, burning excessive oil, etc. but to each their own.

On the carb thing; aftermarket carbs are pretty expensive and give you very little benefit over a properly jetted CVK IMO. ....Spend the money on a good shock! :)

Dave

·
Premium Member
822 Posts
I recently installed two Eaglemike 685's, one on my 2001 and the kit, quality and service is excellent. The bike runs smooth and the power difference is noticeable. .....I don't recommend ripping apart a perfectly running KLR unless it is time for a rebuild, burning excessive oil, etc. but to each their own.

On the carb thing; aftermarket carbs are pretty expensive and give you very little benefit over a properly jetted CVK IMO. ....Spend the money on a good shock! :)

Dave
i beg to differ, lectrons work. plain and simple.

·
Premium Member
3,563 Posts
i beg to differ, lectrons work. plain and simple.

I'm sure it works just fine. .....but so does a CVK when it's properly jetted. Everyone has a different budget but $800 for a carb is a chunk of cash for most KLR owners........and I've never seen even one dyno result or any other testing showing even a 1 hp increase for the Lectron. Unless you are doing a "full meal deal" with head porting, big valves, cams, etc. I remain unconvinced that any other carb makes much difference. An excerpt from KLRChris' site:

KLR650 CV carburetor vs Performance:
The KLR650’s 40mm KeiHin CV carburetor is very reliable and is more than sufficient to cater to most of the the KLR’s performance requirements. The carburetor by itself can support 327 CFM. It is the restrictiveness of air box that prevents full performance support.
The KLR in standard or in mild modified form does not benefit with performance carburetors such as the 40 mm Mikuni TM40-6 smooth bore or the KeiHin FCR. It is true that these carburetors can support a higher flow rate but since the the KLR cylinder head can only support 327 the higher flow performance carbs will have no additional advantage over the 40 mm CV carb.
Some feel that the accelerator pumps on theses carburetors will increase throttle response. We feel that the 40 mm CV carburetor with supporting modifications and correctly setup will be just as responsive.

Dave

·
Registered
65 Posts
Just installed mine and have about 200 miles on it...
Now 2100 miles and I love it. I needed to go through the carb again & with some fine points from a few solid forum members it ran great.
This trip:
  • Fully loaded with camping gear
  • Almost all tarmac, about 220 miles on freeway, the rest desert and mountain 2-lanes with twisties.
  • About 90% at 5000' plus elevation. Max 11,312.
  • I'm running 16 & 43 and I have plenty of passing power, even up the passes.
  • Hours of sustained 80+ speeds. Top speed 95.
  • Best tank just over 50 mpg (in the higher elevations)
  • Worst tank about 42mpg (high speeds & nasty crosswinds).
  • Oil level was just over the top of the sight glass on departure and just below now, by the thickness of the top level mark.
This kit was a great investment.

·
Registered
343 Posts
I installed my Eagle Mike kit about 10,000 miles ago, and couldnt be happier. It's a great kit, a fun install, and was very reasonably priced. My oil burning, which I had put up with for 22,000 miles is a thing of the past; the bike runs like new.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have 18,000 miles on an EM 685 top end on my oil guzzling 09 (blue). Best thing I have done to it, smoother, hasn’t used any oil, maybe mo power. I run the poo out of it with no problems at all.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Can anyone comment on the reduction in vibrations after installing the 685? Thats the only thing that really interests me about this kit. A little birdie landed outside my window this morning and told me to buy one 😂

1 - 20 of 30 Posts