Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Howdy.... Just picked up an 89 klr with all the whiz bang done.. upgraded forks, ims tank, etc yadda.. Everything seems to be in good order.

The purchase price included a spare 96 engine, and a yet to be installed Schnitz 685 kit. The guy who sold me the bike & kit said the Schnitz would swap the Jug at no cost.

I just talked to Schnitz, and although they used to do that, the designer/engineer of the 685 passed away several years ago and they no longer offer swaps.

So, Im gonna need a machinist who can handle this job and hopefully at a reasonable price... I have the directions that call out a few dimensions, etc, but im new to engine mods and dont really know how to read these.

I'd be interested in finding a local machinist (Minneapolis) who could handle the work. Im not entirely opposed to shipping to a shop that has experience with this mod, either.. just feeling out my options.

Also, side question... My neutral light only works about 30% of the time... Hoping its as simple as rebuilding or replacing the neutral switch.. any advice or experice with this issue?

Any input to help me get rolling would be much appreciated!

Thanks!

·
Registered
6,645 Posts
Howdy.... Just picked up an 89 klr with all the whiz bang done.. upgraded forks, ims tank, etc yadda.. Everything seems to be in good order.

The purchase price included a spare 96 engine, and a yet to be installed Schnitz 685 kit. The guy who sold me the bike & kit said the Schnitz would swap the Jug at no cost.

I just talked to Schnitz, and although they used to do that, the designer/engineer of the 685 passed away several years ago and they no longer offer swaps.

So, Im gonna need a machinist who can handle this job and hopefully at a reasonable price... I have the directions that call out a few dimensions, etc, but im new to engine mods and dont really know how to read these.

I'd be interested in finding a local machinist (Minneapolis) who could handle the work. Im not entirely opposed to shipping to a shop that has experience with this mod, either.. just feeling out my options.

Also, side question... My neutral light only works about 30% of the time... Hoping its as simple as rebuilding or replacing the neutral switch.. any advice or experice with this issue?

Any input to help me get rolling would be much appreciated!

Thanks!
slackard,
Sorry that No One has yet responded to you.
On the 3, 685 kits that I have done, I have used Matt at 'Import Automotive' in Santa Barbara California.

In your area, you might check with 'Competition Cycle'. I have forgotten which city. :(

·
Registered
5,547 Posts
You may have an intermittent neutral LIGHT, vs. a defective neutral SWITCH. Without a functioning neutral switch, no electric start.

The wiring of the neutral switch to the dashboard indicator light appears rather dicey, especially down around the forward chain sprocket shaft. I'd suspect an intermittent open circuit around there.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts