Kawasaki KLR Forum banner
1 - 20 of 76 Posts

· Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, first time posting here! I put a 685 kit in my pig about 35,000km ago, and since day one it burned a bit of oil. Now it's burning quite a lot of oil, big puffs at startup, and when revving. So I figured I pull it apart and have a look.

At first glance I can't see anything wrong, so looking for a bit of guidance. The piston is quite clean, head not so much. Cylinder still has nice cross hatching, and using calipers the bottom of the sleeve doesn't appear to be out of round, though that was a very rough measurement. No discernable wear and tear anywhere which is good (i.e. cam shafts etc).

So, can anyone advise what the appropriate next steps are? e.g. Valve guide test, buy a micrometer and measure sleeve etc.

I should note that it's a 2008 model (2nd gen), and that it didn't burn any oil until I did the 685 kit.

Thanks

· Premium Member
867 Posts
First, those ring end gaps need to be at least 45degrees from one another.

Second, did you replace you valve stem seals? Given your explanation that's what it sounds like to me based on experience. I believe EM sells some 'viton' seals. I'd highly recommend those over the OEM pieces.

Reactions: KDO

· Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks Biggs. The ring end gaps look like that because I moved them around to check things. I didn't replace the seals at the time, and yes, I'm tending to agree with you real the seals being the issue, everything else looks to be in really good condition.

So next steps I should get the valves out to check the seals yes?

Thanks

· Premium Member
867 Posts
Yes pull the valve springs and replace the seals.

Reactions: KDO

· Premium Member
12,573 Posts
In pic #1, the second ring (final oil scraper) seems to be 'shinier' on the top half than the bottom half.
Are the identifying markings on the side facing Down?
Or are they facing UP as they are supposed to be?

That second ring is sharpened like a scissor blade/lawn mower blade to scrap-off any oil that sneaks past the oil rings.
If installed up-side down it becomes an 'oil pump' into the combustion chamber.

· Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
In pic #1, the second ring (final oil scraper) seems to be 'shinier' on the top half than the bottom half.
Are the identifying markings on the side facing Down?
Or are they facing UP as they are supposed to be?

That second ring is sharpened like a scissor blade/lawn mower blade to scrap-off any oil that sneaks past the oil rings.
If installed up-side down it becomes an 'oil pump' into the combustion chamber.
Hmm ok, interesting, well spotted I'll have a look

· Premium Member
867 Posts
Pdwestman is accurate that second ring needs to be installed correctly, even if that's the issue I'd still replace the seals while your into it that far.

If that's the issue you'll likely need to replace that ring because it has expedited the wear being installed upsidedown. Simply flipping it over after this much time probably won't do much good.

Best wishes

· Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I can't see any markings unfortunately. Side facing the oil ring is darker, and maybe the marking is on that. Are there detailed online instructions for this? I agree, new oil rings, and valve guides.

· Premium Member
2002 gen 1 street-ized commuter special--Flatland Flyer--
173 Posts
i think they mean valve guide seals....easy to replace. as stated by Biggs3118 previuosly

Reactions: Biggs3118

· Premium Member
2002 gen 1 street-ized commuter special--Flatland Flyer--
173 Posts
A quick question - should I get the sleeve measured to see if it's still round, or is this a waste of time as it's very unlikely?
absolutely.....round rings in oval cylinder don't work so well

Reactions: DPelletier and KDO

· Premium Member
12,573 Posts
A quick question - should I get the sleeve measured to see if it's still round, or is this a waste of time as it's very unlikely?
A proper machine shop could measure the bore with a dial bore gauge to check for clearance, roundness & taper & then a light hone all at the same time.

1 - 20 of 76 Posts