Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I broke a land on my piston a few months ago, so I used it as an excuse to make the bike in to a 685.
I really was not expecting much of a power boost, but um, along with the other mods I have done to it, it turned it in to a completely different bike. I had two issues with the mod. First one was that the clutch would not hold, so I put new frictions and performance springs in the clutch assembly which fixed that issue. The other one is that I don't get to hold it wide open in every gear all the time like before. 1/3 to 1/2 throttle is the norm now. To open it up I gotta find good open road. Didn't see that issue coming. I guess everything is a trade off eh?

·
Registered
22 Posts
I recently bought a 685 kit and an allready bored to match cylinder because my bike is burning some oil. I was going to wait and see if the thermo-bob and pcv valve stopped or slowed the oil burning but now I am itching to go for it. I have a 10 to 15 thousand mile trip planned for the summer so I may wait until afterwards, any suggestions?

·
Registered
22 Posts
The cylinder was allready bored when I bought the kit and cylinder so no way to no who did it. I think before I install it I will have someone check the work and set the ring gaps.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I had Superior Sleeve in Clackamas Oregon do the bore and hone. I went to this shop and talked with the owner, and after listening to him, I was sold. One of the key things he said, was that he waits two hours between hones to allow it to resume room temp before taking measurements, and deciding if and how much more to hone it.
I love it when somebody is super obsessive picky with my equipment. As to suggestions. Make sure you use the stock thickness base gasket to retain stock compression, and be really picky when you dial in the ring gap. Schnitz racing has detailed installation instructions and break in specifics posted on their website. After you have done the upgrade, and it is past the break in period, you are not getting the power you expected, get a hold of me and we can get it there very easily without spending a penny.
Oh, be prepared, the first 150 miles of break in, the thing runs hot, coolant and oil. Plan out some coffee shops to stop at and allow it tool cool down and then hit it again.

·
Premium Member
1,534 Posts
Yeah, if I'm gonna' do it, it will be the 705. My main concern is having someone do it that has never done a KLR cylinder before. Would like to find someone that has done many with a good track record. Being a machinist I could do this but I don't know the tip's, tricks or pitfalls of this particular cylinder.

I do know this, back in the day I was moonlighting overboring Corvair cylinders (jugs) for sandrails. Had to build a torque plate for boring and honing to replicate the distortion in an installed condition. That is to say that the jugs in a relaxed state will not measure correctly, but installed do. Have to wonder if the KLR would be the same.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Torque

It would not be the same for the KLR, because the bolts pull on the threads in the crank case. The Cylinder just gets clamped down, that is a big difference. Doing a little research on the 705, it really reduces your head gasket realestate from cylinder to water jacket. I can't say who said it because he asked me not to pin his name to the statement, but it goes like this: "If you cannot bore it to size without sleeving it, then don't do it".
I cannot put his name to the quote, because he is a machinist that also does bore, honing and sleeving. So he does not want to cut in to his own customer base volume LOL.
I would have to say, if I acquired another KLR650, I would order the 685 kit right away. I am absolutely spoiled with the results, and I cannot live without it now.

·
Premium Member
1,534 Posts
Well, that's just it, the clamping force causing the distortion. I'm really comparing apples to oranges. The corvair is an air head, much less mass than what is on our water jacketed KLR cylinders.

My first assumption of the 705 sleeve was that it is thicker, not so, I've been told it is the same O.D. as stock except for the portion that enters the crankcase. Much thinner in wall thickness than stock. The 685 is in between with the stock sleeve. The 705 sleeve is touted as being "cryogenically" treated. Harder, less prone to distortion.

I've been on the fence for a while now considering this. The folks that have done the 705 say it is great. Looking from the outside in I can see that if I laid out nearly a thousand bucks what else would I say?

One advantage of either 685 or 705 is the lighter piston, less reciprocating mass equals more power. Is there a lighter stock diameter piston / ring set available?

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I forgot!

In all of my joy of the 685, I totally forgot about the lighter piston, and that it does translate to a smoother running. I didn't truly realize this until I got back on a stock KLR, and then it was really obvious.
The 705 sleeve is a very quality product, no issues there. The point I was trying to articulate, is that the water jacket placement is stationary, so the bigger the bore, the less surface that there is for the head gasket to seal between the bore, and the water jacket.
The first mod that you have to do when you get the cylinder and piston from the machine shop, is to grind out the inner diameter of the (new, stock) KLR head gasket to match the new bore diameter. You have to take a lot of meat out of it. I was kind of bitting my nails a bit on how much material has to be removed, and so, how much more so for a 705. Nobody I know of has had a breach of the combustion chamber to water jacket in the 705 application, but it is fairly new to the field, and time will tell if it would be an issue at all.

·
Registered
103 Posts
The wall thickness of the 685 is the same as a .5mm over 95 and earlier sleeve.

I have about 5K miles on my 705 with zero issues. If I didn't have other bikes to ride if would be close to 15K at least.

For those questioning the longevity and design of these kits, you don't need to worry. I wish you'd known KLR Cary. He test stuff for a long time before releasing it to the general public. I was privileged to speak with him anywhere from one to several times each week almost from the time I met him. I would say he was the consummate professional when it came to taking care of the customer. IMHO he knew more about making the KLR work well than anyone else. He didn't want to change the character of the bike, just make it work as well as it could.

He'd also made his own custom exhaust system, transplanted forks, etc. He was a real guru.

If you do the required work well, you don't need to worry. I've installed many of these kits. One local guy ran his 705 stage II to Alaska and back, and rides it all the time.

all the best,
Mike

·
Registered
57 Posts
What kind of improvements can you see with a 685 upgrade? How much faster highway speeds can you get safely? (I probably just need to dump my knobby continentals and switch to the avons i have sitting in storage)

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
685 improvements

This KLR Cary guy. If he is still around I would like to get in contact with him, I think we have a lot in common with the KLR.
The 685 improvements have a lot to do with what was done around it. If you took a stock KLR, and made it a 685, you would be pretty bummed at the return for the money.
Some that go to the 705 kit have to use the stronger clutch springs afterwards. I had to put them in with my 685, the clutch did not even come close to holding on to what it produces for torque. If you go ahead with the 685 kit, and would like to get the most out of it, I would be more than willing to dialogue about how to do that, but I would want to do it by phone, or in person would be even better. I have tried to post technical articles for folks, and the modifications confuse many. The KLR owners that have swung by on a tech day at my garage, and allowed me to do the mods, not only were astonished by the performance gain, but they were pretty confused as to why such subtle modifications can make such a difference. That is also difficult to explain. But I never get tired of the reaction of the rider when I get done with their machine, it is pretty priceless.

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
This KLR Cary guy. If he is still around I would like to get in contact with him, I think we have a lot in common with the KLR.
The 685 improvements have a lot to do with what was done around it. If you took a stock KLR, and made it a 685, you would be pretty bummed at the return for the money.
Some that go to the 705 kit have to use the stronger clutch springs afterwards. I had to put them in with my 685, the clutch did not even come close to holding on to what it produces for torque. If you go ahead with the 685 kit, and would like to get the most out of it, I would be more than willing to dialogue about how to do that, but I would want to do it by phone, or in person would be even better. I have tried to post technical articles for folks, and the modifications confuse many. The KLR owners that have swung by on a tech day at my garage, and allowed me to do the mods, not only were astonished by the performance gain, but they were pretty confused as to why such subtle modifications can make such a difference. That is also difficult to explain. But I never get tired of the reaction of the rider when I get done with their machine, it is pretty priceless.
I'm sad to say that KLRCary has passed away.

·
Registered
103 Posts
I'm not sure I'd agree about the 685 not making much difference..... :) The 685 with subtle carb mod's has dyno'd about 4 ft-lbs and change improvement, about the same horsepower improvement. This is in addition to lower vibration and zero oil use. It's cheaper than most pipes, and never needs repacking.:)
all the best,
Mike

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I agree

"I'm not sure I'd agree about the 685 not making much difference..... "

You are correct, a few subtle mods and the 685 is a go getter. My point was, just sticking a bigger jug in the thing is not a fix all. I just didn't want to see somebody spend the money and time without the necessary mods to go with it.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Yeh

I have to admit, if I bought another KLR, I would do the 685 upgrade and my carb mods right out of the gate, I am spoiled with the torque, and could not settle for less now.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts