Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Threadjacker
6,768 Posts
Hmmm. My bike doesn't start feeling like it's going to explode til indicated 80-90, but it sure does shake a lot at 70 ... and 50 ... and 30. Thump thump. :)

Is this the first time you've gone that fast on two wheels?

·
Registered
171 Posts
what is ur rpm at 70mph.

my rpm hovers around 5000 at 85mph...
i have a bigger pinion, i think 16 teeth i dont remember, 1 tooth bigger than OEM.

it makes a huge difference.
the bike is very comfortable up to 90 95mph.

·
Registered
171 Posts
bandit will also kill you faster :D.

RIDE SAFE!. 140 IS NUTS.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yes it is my first time at 70 on a bike, explode was an overstatement haha. I guess the rev is new to me. Book said under 4krpms till 600 miles. Ive been true to that at now 250 miles, cept two occasions lol. I cant remember exact rpms but i dont think it was too far from 5. It was also a terrible road into the wind. Ive found a good place to ride, but its a 30 minute cruise at least on interstate. Windy area between Pensacola and Mobile

·
Registered
171 Posts
it will take saddle time to get confidence on the bike in the wind and speed.

i remember my first freeway ride, it was scary, i was always scared to be blown away or losing control.

but as long as you are moving, you wont fall or anything happens to you, just keep your hands comfortable and relaxed on the handlebars, don't correct it when steering feels loose or the bike follow some tracks, just like it roll.

the real key to stay comfortable at speed, is to have your hands lightly on the handle bars, and lean to turn. :D

if u want to practice steering control, RIDE ON SAND :D

Reactions: E7SHRP9 and Lockjaw

·
Registered
171 Posts
seems good. mine is 5000rpm at 82 84mph.

·
Premium Member
6,678 Posts
I feel like it wants to explode lol. Maybe its the newness of me going 70
I highly recommend Ear Plugs for sustained riding at 50 MPH and above. I put mine in for even a 10 mile ride.

Hearing loss from wind noise is No Joke. And the KLR windshields are noisy.

The whole ride and the bike will seem 'calmer'.

·
Registered
171 Posts
yup... ear plugs are a must. specially if you have an ARAI helmet. they are super noisy!.

i used them all the time. i even have a sena headset and the plugs just filter the noise, i can hear the music and phone calls clearly.

Reactions: pdwestman

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I feel ok (based on my experience as a new rider to two wheels, and not claiming to have mastered it,) with the wind ive seen so far, i just feel the engine is revd very high. I guess im just think of my four wheeler and these can be ran alot harder when no gears are left.

·
Registered
171 Posts
if that what is worrying you, try riding a NINJA250 or any sport bike :D.

they rev at 8000+

i had an older ninja, used to cruise on the freeway at 10000, redline at 12000. i was not going fast. it was just too slow :D. and too small for highway

Reactions: E7SHRP9

·
Registered
259 Posts
+1 on ear plugs. I rarely ride without them regardless of speed. On a trip of any length I have found that my fatigue level is greatly reduced when wearing ear plugs. Can hear music so much better as well with less volume!

·
Registered
259 Posts
Yes, you do die faster at 140 but at 140 you won't have time to see your demise.

Someday I want to give my bandit the holeshot experience. $1500 more for a bike that will do 171!

Or maybe a blown busa? Nah, then I really would die!

·
Registered
107 Posts
I understand your statement about the bike feeling like it might explode. I still experience that feeling every so often, many times at much lower speeds in lower gears.

If you've been breaking in the bike per the manual, you haven't yet experienced what the bike sounds or feels like at higher RPMs, so when you hit 70, you were likely turning more RPMs then you're used to. As everyone has been saying, no need to worry. The engine can still turn faster and you aren't going to hurt it at that speed.

For me, it depends what gear I'm in. I'm used to running at 5,000-5,500 on the highway, but if I run the engine that high in 1st gear, I feel like I'm pushing it. I know that conceptually I'm not pushing the engine any harder, but because I'm moving slower and the wind isn't deafening, the engine sounds much louder and I feel like I'm wringing the engine out at 5k in 1st.

Someone already stated that ear plugs will help because you can't hear the engine as much. There is a lot of truth in that. While true, the right reason to wear something like ear plugs is to protect your hearing as everyone is saying, but when you do this the first time, you'll also see how easily the bike revs without feeling like it is going to explode since you can't hear the engine.

Keep enjoying the bike and ride safe.

·
Registered
100 Posts
I just added a 16t sprocket tonight, it took my rpm's down 500, at 60mph I'm at 4k, 70 I'm between 4500 and 5k, also it smoothed the bike out, less buzz in the grips and feet, very pleased with the change, all for $29.

·
Threadjacker
6,768 Posts
Going 140 mph on a motorcycle off track is insane. That's twice 70, which dude is tripping about, FWIW. I can math sometimes. I went 110 once on an old bike when I was younger and dumber and that was enough for me. YMMV.

Just figured I'd jack the thread a little more. :t1204:

(ear plugs are a really good call though ... if I couldn't read lips, I'd be ****ed.)

Now, who wants to talk about fishing and/or vintage american pocket knives and the restoration thereof? :cool: ;)

·
Threadjacker
6,768 Posts
Oh, and the best advice you got was to relax your body. Wind. No wind. Just in general. Don't fight the bike. That's a game changer. Like countersteering.

I commute at freeway speeds and I'm ususally around 5K-6K rpms. 70-90 indicated. I'm more worried about Prius drivers than anything else. The KLR is a tough bike.

Reactions: pdwestman

·
Premium Member
6,678 Posts
Yes, you do die faster at 140 but at 140 you won't have time to see your demise.

Someday I want to give my bandit the holeshot experience. $1500 more for a bike that will do 171!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QrSn7QNwnwI

Or maybe a blown busa? Nah, then I really would die!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B49NxrVB62M
fbv,
Did ya' notice the RPM 'creep' verses MPH, especially on the 'Busa video. That is rear tire slippage because of wind resistance and tire heat!

I did see 172mph for one tick on the Bandit vid.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts