Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

21 - 40 of 303 Posts

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
So is that racetec out of oregon? 719 kit must be update over the 705. And yes if you can get 60 at wheel that would be impressive. I have to admit I've been snooping around the ktm shop. The 790 street version is 416 dry so it would be similar weight to klr.

·
Premium Member
510 Posts
I have! Or that’s where the PO kinda wanted to go. I bought it with a 19” wheel on the front. Then I bought a pair of used wheels off eBay as an off-road set. Standard 21” front & 17” rear.

I have to admit the 19” on the front with the Anakee 3 rubber is nice. Quick response time and no lowering of the shocks needed. If the PO had put a 17” on the front I think the front forks would need to have been dropped about an inch in the triple clamp.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
really a motard would be 17' front and back
i use warp 9's

·
Premium Member
510 Posts
I have! Or that’s where the PO kinda wanted to go. I bought it with a 19” wheel on the front. Then I bought a pair of used wheels off eBay as an off-road set. Standard 21” front & 17” rear.

I have to admit the 19” on the front with the Anakee 3 rubber is nice. Quick response time and no lowering of the shocks needed. If the PO had put a 17” on the front I think the front forks would need to have been dropped about an inch in the triple clamp.

really motards are 17' all the way
i use warp 9's

·
Premium Member
253 Posts
really motards are 17' all the way

i use warp 9's

I know, but if he had 17” all the way around I would not have bought it. I don’t think the KLR650 is really suited for a SuperMoto platform as it’s too heavy. I also didn’t want another street bike. Even one that could hit dirt roads.

I wanted a dual sport that wouldn’t wallow in sand. The 19” is only suited for hard packed roads. I’m not sure how the 17” would handle off road. So how does it handle?

·
Premium Member
6,684 Posts

This statement is confusing.

Are your fork tubes currently extended an inch or two Above the triple clamp? As in the bike is lowered from its standard height.

·
Premium Member
253 Posts
Are your fork tubes currently extended an inch or two Above the triple clamp? As in the bike is lowered from its standard height.

No. With the 19” wheel the stance feels fine. The motorcycle only dropped on inch in height from a 21” front wheel.

However, if the PO had put a 17” wheel on the front the that’s a drop of 2” in height compared to the stock 21” wheel.

I could be wrong. I’m no expert. It just seems that a drop of two inches in the front wheel would require some type of compensation

[Edit] Oh crap. I just realized I was thinking about how a lowered BMW F800ST ships from the factory. If compensation were needed on the KLR it would be using lowering links in the rear or raising the front suspension. No wonder you were confused. Sorry about that.

·
Premium Member
253 Posts
handles great for being a porker. it tore up the dragon

I have no doubts. The ride with the 19” front on mine is awesome. I really like the way it handles.

First time I got on it though was a bit freaky. I was up so high compared to my other motorcycles. It felt too heavy too. Not as bad as my K1200LT that I used to own though.

After a couple of days though, even the inverse asphalt cloverleafs didn’t bother me. Plenty of stick to the tires even with a sharp lean angle. I wonder how far I can really go on this motorcycle. Somewhere along the way I’m going to have to try some twisties I’ve ridden with my F800ST and R1200RT and see how it compares. I’ve hit my pegs on both rides at speed - about 55 - on a tight right hand curve from a local mountain vista view.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Thanks for post. My nephew is buying the new ktm 790 duke for a long haul to yukon. Although he out weighs me by nearly 30lbs i was hoping to keep his tail light visible. Im used to wrenching on snowmobiles all my life and currently big bored my 2013 summit 800 to a 872.
As someone who enjoys riding long trips solo, I'll suggest you just enjoy a more leisurely pace and encourage your nephew to get you out of his rear view mirror whenever he feels like it.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
Lol he likely will. Im thinking to the big bore. Up the sprocket and let buck. Should be lots of zip for now. His bike just landed so see how it looks. Do the 705 kits require super fuel?? No one has said.

·
Premium Member
6,684 Posts
Lol he likely will. Im thinking to the big bore. Up the sprocket and let buck. Should be lots of zip for now. His bike just landed so see how it looks. Do the 705 kits require super fuel?? No one has said.
I am unsure if you realize the amount of extra parts & labor needed for the 705 kit verses the 685 & 692 kits, for so little extra performance gained?

Are you concerned about the price of high octane fuel or the availability of it?

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter #32 (Edited)
I was thinking about the 685. I was going to do the cams also and port the head myself. Yes in Yukon premium fuel is a premium lol.You may not even find in most areas. Have you done any porting on yours? I would imagine that’s worth a few ponies.

·
Premium Member
6,684 Posts
Personally with my own money, I'm more of a 'if it ain't broke there is no need to fix it' kind of guy.

Back at 33,590 miles when I had the top end off because of dust ingestion thru an exhaust burnt hole in the bottom of the air box, I did a little bit more than just the oem piston & rings.
I cleaned up the ports and properly narrowed the seating surfaces (Which are way to wide from the factory. They only cut the 45 & 30 angles.) and installed new valves & seals.

I have only adjusted each valve one time each, one shim size only since then in over 50,000 additional miles, because they get a better seal on properly narrowed seats. It will pull an indicated 105 mph, most days, with stock gearing. (Saw 115 mph once, downhill with a tailwind.)

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
Yes good way to be. Im a drag racer so have a bit of competitive nature. Not sure if thats a benifit. Lol

·
Premium Member
6,684 Posts
Yes good way to be. Im a drag racer so have a bit of competitive nature. Not sure if thats a benifit. Lol
Have you read all the various steps & mods Before the EFI installation from this site? As drag racer, I think that you'll appreciate the details.

https://www.klrchris.com/

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
Yes i did read over klr chris’s tuning updates. It’s very interesting for sure. My theory is by a smaller lighter bike klr and mod to suit. If you go by Chris’s mods it makes 40.6 rear wheel hp. That’s nearly 50 engine hp. If you compare that to 60hp of the vstrom 650 and the extra weight the vstrom carrier’s u are almost comparable bikes now. If you go with say a 685 kit cams and porting which will require jetting also you are now likely mid 50 at wheel. Or 60 on engine with weight of bike you have a pretty quick ride. Of course you can always update to something bigger. But then its not a klr either.

·
Premium Member
6,684 Posts
Yes i did read over klr chris’s tuning updates. It’s very interesting for sure. My theory is by a smaller lighter bike klr and mod to suit. If you go by Chris’s mods it makes 40.6 rear wheel hp. That’s nearly 50 engine hp. If you compare that to 60hp of the vstrom 650 and the extra weight the vstrom carrier’s u are almost comparable bikes now. If you go with say a 685 kit cams and porting which will require jetting also you are now likely mid 50 at wheel. Or 60 on engine with weight of bike you have a pretty quick ride. Of course you can always update to something bigger. But then its not a klr either.
Did you not see the "Small Port cylinder head" dyno graph? Maybe you need to explore a little deeper?
This was still with the 651 oem piston, cams & valves.

https://klrchris.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/06/KLR650-First-Mods.jpg

·
Registered
5,567 Posts
I'd think the, "Small Port Cylinder Head" from KLRChris a MUST for ILove2's build!

Don't understand how smaller cross-section ports flow greater volume per unit time (an inversion of conventional fluid flow knowledge), but . . . dyno charts never lie! :)

·
Registered
53 Posts
you are now likely mid 50 at wheel. Or 60 on engine [/QUOTE]

I say dream on. No chance in hell you are going to get 50 hp to the wheel..

21 - 40 of 303 Posts