Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Restoring down to frame. Pivoting triangle below back shock has 2 sleeves, 1 on either side, inside the frame within the foot peg bolt holes. They hold the forward hole of the triangle in after the pin is removed. Foot peg positioning guides narrow the outside bolt holes preventing removal outward and prevent getting a socket in to drive the sleeves. Appears to be the port side sleeve needs to be driven inward to drive the starboard sleeve over to the right to allow the triangle's removal. The sleeves appear to then need to be driven all the way inward to remove them. I've found no write-up of this anywhere; been searching online for 2 days. Not covered in the Kawasaki service manual. Am I on the right track? I had to hammer out the pins to remove them. How do I remove the sleeves without damaging them, or are they considered expendable? I'm stuck, pun intended. Cheers.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I see it all over how important it is to stay up on the maintenence of the rear suspension on these mono-shock bikes. Mine has been soaking in PB Blaster for a week, now. Do I just beat the crap out of it? Cheers.

·
Premium Member
6,841 Posts
Loosen the rear engine mounts & swingarm pivot bolt to allow the frame to flex/spread the millimeter or two of clearance that it was designed with.

Reactions: Uncle Dick

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you! I KNEW I had to be missing something. Still looks like the sleeve has to go to the right enough for the rocker arm to come off so that the sleeve can go back left and come off. Can I hit on the raised lip near the middle of the sleeve to drive it, or is there a better way?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts