Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so I have inherited an 84 klr600. It has benn sitting in my shop for about a year and I have finally decided to work on it. It was not getting any power at first and I found a loose wire. Now when you try to start it, it will turn over but it sounds like it is trying to fire for a second then it just sounds like the start is not catching. I don't know if that makes sense. It is like the starter is missing some teeth and is just catching sometimes. So then I start from the beginning. I pull the spark plug out to see if it has spark. I hit the start button and it seems to crank just fine and it is getting spark. So my question is does anyone know why the starter would be so sparatic and do you think pulling the spark plug out could effect the starter.

·
Registered
527 Posts
I can't help with the mechanical stuff but you came to the right spot. Lots of knowledgeable, helpful people here. Good luck with the bike and welcome to the forum.

·
Premium Member
5,478 Posts
In your shoes, I would presume that the engine is spinning over better and faster with the spark plug out because there's no compression in the cylinder.

Also, the sporadic, chug-then-hesitate behavior of the starter sounds like a classic system of a battery that's not quite up to the task.

Are you sure the battery is good? Just because it's showing the correct voltage doesn't mean it's good. Chances are if you get the engine spinning good and fast, it will catch fire: the engine that is, not the battery.

You could try jump-starting it off a known good battery. If you're using a car battery, make sure the car is not running.

You can take your battery into most any auto parts store or battery shop and they'll "load test" it for free to see what kind of shape it's in.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ok so the battery I have been using is not a big enough battery but I have been using a battery charger to give it extra juice. The other thing is I have tried to kick start it also with no luck. I don't know how hard they are to kick start. I will have to get a better battery and see what happens.

·
Administrator
3,564 Posts
I would go with the battery suggestion too. Pretty hard to break teeth off of a starter gear but not impossible I suppose. As Planalp suggested when you get a new battery, hook a car battery up to it with booster cables.

As to kick starting it. If it was a properly running bike I would think that it would go but, a bike as you describe, that has been sitting, is going to need a little love before it gets going. I suspect once you get it firing that you may have some carb issues.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ya I will definitely try with a better battery. I have pulled the carb and cleaned it already. Also I did pull the starter of and checked it and it looked fine. No teeth missing or anything.

·
Registered
5,558 Posts
Jump that sucker!

And, even though you cleaned the carb (full disassembly?), sometimes STARTER FLUID is your friend (have fire extinguisher handy).

·
Administrator
3,564 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ya I put a 35 amp charge to it and it was still doing it but my charger has been acting up so it might not have been actually getting 35 amps. I will have to sort out the battery to see if that is the problem or to rule it out.

·
Administrator
3,564 Posts
A 35 amp charger will pretty well kill a bike battery. Most I would give it is 2 amps for an hour.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Good to know. Hopefully I didn't toast the battery but it was a 20 dollar battery out of my sr250. I will definitely get a good battery today and try that.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I have an 85 KL600. I had a problem with mine that sounds similar to what you describe. I found there to be two problems with mine. The first was with the drive teeth on the starter. The second was the factory starter solenoid. I replaced with factory solenoid with a larger one and also replaced the starter. Have had no further problems. Also, it is pretty easy to kick start my 600, but I recommend good boots as it occasionally backfires and will hurt your foot if you are wearing tennis shoes.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts