Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So..have a 85' klr250, re-built the top end and got it running had a cpl snags along the way but nothing to serious. Knew the regulator was bad so ordered a new one and bought a new battery. Part came in today and all was hooked up and ready to go. Owner before me as it looks by-passed the thermostat the turns on the fan and made it a manual switch. Not a big deal when riding, the fan is not needed but hooked up new battery today and regulator and it fried most of the wiring harness up to the manual switch. Any ideas on where to get a new wiring harness or new set of the wires to replace the ones that melted?

·
Premium Member
1,586 Posts
That sux.
My bundle, or 2/3 of it smoked itself together into one crispy mess.
Took almost 6 weeks of starting at each end of the burn, or all the way
to the wire's destination and replace, seal, n' double wrap every damaged wire.

I'd have gotten a harness too looking back on the downtime. Naturally prime
September weather of course.......

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
Wow, talk about nursing a grudge! :wink2:

A used harness is only about $20.00 off Ebay and about an hour so swap.

Not sure about 250 harnesses being available though. If someone has even a damaged one to donate, I'll do a wiring harness identification like the ones I posted. Takes about 30 hours so not today.:smile2:

That sux.
My bundle, or 2/3 of it smoked itself together into one crispy mess.
Took almost 6 weeks of starting at each end of the burn, or all the way
to the wire's destination and replace, seal, n' double wrap every damaged wire.

I'd have gotten a harness too looking back on the downtime. Naturally prime
September weather of course.......

·
Premium Member
1,586 Posts
Wow.

Didn't think I was grudgin', but you are right when I look at myself.

The anger comes with the dealership saying they did the recall, then the excact
thing the recall fixed blew up. 6 weeks of 70's riding weather tossed in some salt.

On the positive side it's my one breakdown in 19,000+ miles so me needs to
see the truth, not one glitch.

Humbled,
Cheap

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
Just pulling your leg, of course. :)

Wow.

Didn't think I was grudgin', but you are right when I look at myself.

The anger comes with the dealership saying they did the recall, then the excact
thing the recall fixed blew up. 6 weeks of 70's riding weather tossed in some salt.

On the positive side it's my one breakdown in 19,000+ miles so me needs to
see the truth, not one glitch.

Humbled,
Cheap

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Difference between years?

Ive been researching like a mad man and can't find any harnesses from 85' but no surprise there, is there much if any difference between an 85' harness and other years? If not ebay might save the day :grin2:

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
That's an '85 KLR250?

I can ask Mike if you wish.

Ive been researching like a mad man and can't find any harnesses from 85' but no surprise there, is there much if any difference between an 85' harness and other years? If not ebay might save the day :grin2:

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Im more so wondering if the years matter. I know the bike itself has not changed dramatically i wouldnt be surprised if they didnt change that

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
Just look up and compare the part numbers for the items which plug to the harness.

It would be very generous if you would document what you have learned as it may be very helpful to someone with fewer resources.

You didn't respond regarding my friend Mike, but he has several 250's and one is a parts bike with harness in place. I am certain that he would be happy to compare photos to help you determine whether another harness is simply plug and play. PM your email if wish and will put you in contact. He's a very helpful person.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts