Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Washed away a winter's worth of crud, mud and grime this morning and discovered a wonderful Y2K KLR650 underneath, all green, shiny and new looking. With 86,000+ on the odometer, it's running better then ever. Burns no oil and very little gas. Goes everywhere and does everything I ask. Is this a great bike or what!

Randy Wagner, Cheyenne, Wyoming.

·
Administrator
8,300 Posts
Randy -

Here's to hoping you can see 100K by the end of the year!

Ride on, man!

Tom

·
Threadjacker
6,768 Posts
Nice. Pic? :)

·
Registered
30 Posts
86k? That's amazing! Can you describe the maintenance you've had to do on the bike during that time? Valve shimming? Carb cleaning? Lubing? Hose replacements? Tell us all how to get a bike to go 86k!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The bike now has 97K and is running great. As for maintenance, I replaced the timing chain and a roller bearing in the transmission at 72K and put in a new set of rings because I thought I should. Everything else in the engine spec'ed out factory fresh and went back in. The rear shock failed at 87K and the speedometer drive gears wore out at 96K. It's gone through a couple clutch cables, an occasional light bulb, a few chains, sprockets and a bunch of tires. Everything else is what it came with new in April, 2000. It gets a dealer tune-up about once a year. I do regular oil and filter changes, service the K&N air filter and take care of the other small stuff. The bike is used to explore the back roads, mostly dirt, and trails in Wyoming, South Dakota, Nebraska, Colorado and Utah. I'm a big guy, 6'7" and 250 lbs, so the bike has not had an easy life. It has never let me down or left me stranded which is good becaure I usually ride alone.

·
Registered
166 Posts
The bike now has 97K and is running great. As for maintenance, I replaced the timing chain and a roller bearing in the transmission at 72K and put in a new set of rings because I thought I should.

Replaced the timing chain and roller bearings at 72 thou!!! Can't these guys get ANYTHING right? :character00268:

·
Threadjacker
6,768 Posts
Impressive! I plan to take mine to 100K. Hoping...glad you're almost there and thanks for the update.

·
Administrator
3,564 Posts
:icon_worthless:

·
Registered
9 Posts
Was the infamous "doohickey" ever replaced? If not then your bike should raise some serious questions to the well known internet scare of the doohickey and those that say the bike won't last unless it's done.

·
Premium Member
4,751 Posts
Excellent!! My 02's only got 22K, but it also runs like it did when I bought it in 04' with 1200 miles on it.. It sips a little oil, but it's always consistant and I too enjoy riding my myself and it's always been a reliable bike.. Since I've got a Multibike Disorder, it only gets 3-4K miles a year, but they're always fun..

·
Registered
4 Posts
This thread has convinced me to seriously consider a KLR 650. I have read one or two threads which had put me off on the reliability front but this is good news here. 100K up yet?

·
Premium Member
5,483 Posts
This thread has convinced me to seriously consider a KLR 650. I have read one or two threads which had put me off on the reliability front but this is good news here. 100K up yet?
Actually, the KLR seems to have a reputation as a very reliable machine. I guess it can seem otherwise when you browse forum threads detailing horror stories and issues that some riders have, but thousands and thousands more roll happily along with no problems at all.

It's also nice that if you have a problem, these forums provide a wealth of knowledge and help and the KLR is pretty simple, straightforward and easy to work on. If you're willing to ask for help and possess a modicum of mechanical common sense, you dont' have to haul it off to a dealer to get it fixed. For more complex work, a Clymer manual covers about any repair you're capable of delving into.

·
Registered
410 Posts
I met up with the Watt-Man at the Eagle Mike tech day yesterday. His Gen1 has over 102k miles and is still running strong. No motor work has been done...just routine maintenance. (He swears by Mobil1 oil.)

That's gotta tell ya something about the mighty KLR! Trusty, not pretty.

·
Registered
124 Posts
2001 klr

I turned over to 45,000 miles on my KLR today. It was a very IMPORTANT ride as I was hauling my 8 year old grand daughter for her very first ride.

She held on tight for the 1st 100 yards and then it was singing and giggling the rest of the ride!!!! We put about 100 miles on and it had to be one of my most favorite rides. That girl can sing! LOL

·
Registered
4 Posts
I turned over to 45,000 miles on my KLR today. It was a very IMPORTANT ride as I was hauling my 8 year old grand daughter for her very first ride.

She held on tight for the 1st 100 yards and then it was singing and giggling the rest of the ride!!!! We put about 100 miles on and it had to be one of my most favorite rides. That girl can sing! LOL
That's really great! A super ride in so many ways. Glad you could share it with someone special. This will be one of her favorite memories!

·
Registered
124 Posts
ABSOLUTELY! She is still talking about it. Cooler weather has prevented us from going out again but we are making plans.

She wants to do an over night trip with just me and her - nobody else!!!
I am starting to think that she really really likes me? LOL I treat her just like I did my boys and she already knows where all of my tools are and what each one of them does. her Mom asked her what she wanted for Christmas and she said a whole week with papaw!

I love this child!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts