Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just need some help figuring out what goes where as I took this apart 2 years ago, didn't lable or use baggies. I've since learned. I had this thing torn apart in the, completely, for a little over two years, everything but the motor. And now that I'm rebuilding it I've got most of it all together but there are a few things I have no clue where they go. Maybe someone can look on their bike and let me know. I'll link photos as needed. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Also I'm not sure where these are supposed to go. Didn't know if it goes with the SW motech crash bars.

·
Premium Member
188 Posts

This attaches to the negative battery terminal and I think I gets routed along the top under seat. I forget where the other side attaches. My entire harness is wrapped in a ball and thrown on my bedroom floor. I don't need no stinkin' battery.

EDIT: Just found this.

·
Premium Member
7,193 Posts
The Positive battery cable NEEDS to go Under that left side frame rail and across the top of the battery, with the cable laying against the Rear side of the air box. (Turn the + battery terminal 90 degrees, counter-clockwise.)
The Engine end of the Negative battery cable mounts to the RH rear mount bolt of starter motor.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for the help. I got everything situated but the thing that goes on the top engine mounts. I have run into a issue with my carb the spring under the idle mixure screw is stuck and I can't find a way to get it loose. I imagine I could just put it back to how it was but I'm sure after hosing it down with carb cleaner alot it's probably ruined. Any ideas? I tried being really soft with a straighted fishhook to no avail. Something micro with hooks or something I guess. Or do you think it's really worth the time and stress to get it out. Or an alternative, any other carbs that work without much fabricating. These cvks aren't so cheap last time I checked.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Sorry btw, I meant the o ring under the screw( if it's there) being possibly ruined because of carb cleaner.

·
Premium Member
7,193 Posts
There is supposed to be a tiny flat washer between the mixture screw spring & the o-ring to protect the o-ring.
Careful inspection with a flashlight may be required.

Carb cleaner will not harm that tiny little o-ring. But it does need to be present.

I built my pilot mixture spring, flat washer, o-ring 'Fish Hook' out of simple mechanics wire, curled sharply & snipped with side cutters. Insert down thru the center and wiggle it around a bit, lift up with all 3 pieces engaged, usually.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I appreciate all the help. Got it together nicely after getting that spring out. I've done alot of work in the last day. Got it turning over, sounds like there's compression, and it even went bang like it was gonna start up. Way more life than when the day started. I'm fairly certain fuel isn't the issue although I think I may have the mixture screw at the wrong adjustment. Was turning the bike over using the starter solenoid arcing it over til I realized that the starter lockout wasn't connected. It's missing altogether so what I assume is the LG , blue and red, (black and yellow, I think) I just connected all three together and my start button started working. ( Would this be okay like it is?)... My neighbor is about as mechanically savvy as I am and he asked me if the timing is correct, or if the valves might be off. I can't be certain as I've never done either on any bike. Any ideas or tips or videos on those would be helpful.

·
Premium Member
188 Posts
Did you take the carb apart and clean it? Did you poke a wire through the holes on what I think is called the main jet. Do you have a Clymer manual? Was it running before you took it all apart? Was there gas left in the tank, petcock or carb?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Carbs clean, jets look good I got a rebuild kit so they should be super clean. As for the manual I've got the service supplement manual, but I don't have the manual that's supposed to be paired with it, the kl 500 one if I'm correct. Helps out enough so far. And no I've had it 4 years and never had it running, had it close before but it had electrical problems. ( Went through the harness fixed everything) this is probably the closest I've had it to running. When I got it there was no signs of life, no electricals, nothing. It has 43k miles too. I REALLY wanted a klr lol.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
And the pitcock should be fine it's flowing on on and reserve. And off on off. Drips a bit but I assume it's just a bad gasket. I figured I'd order a new one when my new tank comes in. ( I got a tengai tank cause the livery was nice, hope it fits)

1 - 20 of 41 Posts