Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,

So as most of you know, I've been rebuilding/repairing a down-and-out '89 650 and thanks to the AWESOME guys on this forum, I'm 99% there.

Here is my build/repair log, for anyone wondering: https://imgur.com/a/n5Utw/

Last issue fixed: Clutch issue

Current issue: So, I had new tires mounted this morning as the old ones were pretty bad. I also had the guy do the wheel bearings. When I came back to pick up the wheels and tires, he told me that the front rim had a very brittle hub and that part of it broke off. Is this why my wheel speed sensor (I'm assuming that's what that black device on the front wheel is) isn't reading anymore? Do I need to get a new wheel? Those things look expensive on eBay! Like $250+!

You can see it in the picture here...sorry about the size, I wanted to keep it high-res so the damage can be seen instead of resizing it and making it blurry.

Thoughts?

·
Premium Member
6,691 Posts
I can only suggest that that person should purchase a used wheel assembly for a Gen 1 and replace what he broke out of his own pockets. Improper workmanship and /or improper tools were used to remove the old bearing on that RH side. (He may have forgotten to remove the circlip or may have gotten the bearing crooked.)
There is No Other Reason, IMHO.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I highly doubt anything would come of that. Would probably tell me to pound salt. Although, he is the lowest guy (the guy I dealt with) according to their website. I could go directly to the owner of the shop or the owners son.

But if the community here comes to the conclusion that nothing short of a new wheel will get the speed reading again, I'll have to reach out because I need to pass inspection and a working speedometer is required for that. There's absolutely no way this part of the wheel would become 'brittle' after 29 years (assuming these are the original wheels)?

·
Premium Member
6,691 Posts
As long as the FLAT steel tab in the drive gear assembly can engage the remaining aluminum tab on the hub and the gear box is properly indexed on the fork leg and the axle is properly tightened the speedometer 'should operate'.

Sorry to read of this error Ilya. :(

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That was my plan...to go back and try to align everything again and see if I can't get it to operate. Is there any way to verify operation before fully putting the front back together and going for a ride?

I ordered a front brake lever switch and other than putting the plastics back on, this is literally the last hurdle.

·
Administrator
8,299 Posts
If all else fails, perhaps you could get away with a bicycle computer. That’s how my Vapor works.

Sounds stupid, but technically it is a speedometer.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Okay guys, I seem to have got the bike working. For now.

I had to very carefully line everything up and slowly slide the speed sensor device over the setup and secure it but I took a test ride and the speedometer got up to 10mph on my dads yard so I think I may be in business.

Here are some more close up pics of the situation...I'm going to send an FYI type email to the shop that did the job and let them know that this was an issue and that I'd prefer it get resolved but as of now it's working and should it fail soon due to further deterioration as it's now 80% broken, I'll come a'knockin.

Bike is done mechanically speaking...just need to replace the front brake switch with the one Tom recommended in the other thread (should be here soon) and then I can get it inspected and can start riding!

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So I brought the bike home tonight (under its own power) as I'm getting it inspected tomorrow. However, I don't know if it'll pass unless they overlook the broken speedometer. When I pulled out of the driveway, it was working. 30 seconds later that was it. Must have rattled that ring or whatever loose and lost contact.

Good call on the front brake lever switch Tom. Soon as I plugged in the new waterproof one, brake light started working. Thanks!

·
Registered
5,571 Posts
The flat, "winged washer" tabs must fit in the slots for the speedometer to work. A common malfunction occurs when the wings are NOT in their slots when the front axle nut is tightened, bending the wings and thus denying speedometer cable rotation. Don't know if this situation applies or not.

Solution to that problem: FLATTEN washer wings and install correctly.

Otherwise, the hub end of the speedometer cable can be chucked in a COUNTER-CLOCKWISE ("left") rotating drill; testing the rest of the speedometer mechanism. Odometer and needle should move when drill rotates.

A working bicycle speedometer should get you past inspection; don't know if a GPS receiver would pass (the DMV is most interested in the odometer, I imagine, for consumer protection upon re-sale) or not.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks Damo (and others). I passed inspection just now but I still want the issue resolved so I will be going after the shop. I have free lawyers at my disposal due to a company benefit, so small claims court is likely. I've done enough mucking around with this bike and am happy it's road legal. I'm not putting another dime into it...I'm at $4k all said and done which is about $1,500 more than its worth. No way I'm putting another $250+ into it to fix this properly for the next owner.

·
Administrator
8,299 Posts
Ilya, congrats on getting it passed the inspection and legally roadworthy!

Reactions: Ilya

·
Registered
17 Posts
I'm new to this thread. I scrolled through the precious difficulties and triumphs. It's great to see the progress you've made.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I'm new to this thread. I scrolled through the precious difficulties and triumphs. It's great to see the progress you've made.

With a lot of coaching, I got er done. I just rode it to my fathers house to store post inspection and then immediately got on my '15 Vulcan S. Aside from the KLR suspension, I much prefer the Vulcan...is that blasphemy around here? lol.

·
Registered
5,571 Posts
As to legal relief . . . a hard row to hoe, successfully, I'd think. Hard to PROVE negligence from, "craftsmen, skilled in the trade."

And, . . . your time and effort is worth something; hardly compensated for even if you should win.

In our state, lawyers are FORBIDDEN from Small Claims Court; you might profit from consultation with the "free" lawyers available to you before you file your claim, should you decide to pursue the matter.

My opinions only; your call entirely. Congratulations on resurrecting a bike to legal roadworthiness, regardless!

·
Registered
17 Posts
With a lot of coaching, I got er done. I just rode it to my fathers house to store post inspection and then immediately got on my '15 Vulcan S. Aside from the KLR suspension, I much prefer the Vulcan...is that blasphemy around here? lol.

Blasphemy? Nah.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
So just wanted to close the loop on this.

After sending that shop an email and then not hearing back for 2 months (in fairness, I was out of the country for 3 weeks visiting family in Ukraine), I spoke with a company lawyer and they told me two mail them two copies of a letter and 4 estimates (which were an eye popping $750-$1000) in writing. As soon as I did that, next day I get an email/call saying we never got your original email (used the email off their webpage so not sure how that's my fault).

Anyway, the owner was extremely willing to make this right and didn't push back at all which I commend them for. I just picked the bike up from them and speedometer is now working. Evidently, this was the issue:

It was not the hub that was at fault but the speedometer drive assembly. We fixed that and it now works well.
Evidently the little gear inside was 'twisted' and thus 'skipping' and not making connection with the little gear inside.

But anyway, bike is fixed. I'm going to make another thread about the one last remaining issue, but otherwise it's ready to rock.

·
Administrator
8,299 Posts
All geed news, Ilya!

Good to hear from you again.

Reactions: Ilya
1 - 20 of 21 Posts