Kawasaki KLR Forum banner
21 - 25 of 25 Posts

· Registered
2022 KLR650
1,412 Posts
How much do you weight? I'm about 210 and would like to lower the bike an inch but the problem is I don't want to ruin that perfectly balanced stock budget suspension ride it has. I love the way it rides stock.
What’s your current pre-load set at? I’m the same weight as you, and the stock rear shock spring was barely acceptable @ pre-load setting 5.
Sticking a lowering link will inadvertently make the rear shock feel even softer…..

· Registered
113 Posts
What’s your current pre-load set at? I’m the same weight as you, and the stock rear shock spring was barely acceptable @ pre-load setting 5.
Sticking a lowering link will inadvertently make the rear shock feel even softer…..
I'm at 2 to 3 preload and the sag helps me get my feet down. It's a spongy ride but I associate it to being like riding a magic carpet. Yea it gets a little spongy in the turns but you don't feel any bumps and if you have any back issues is priceless. I don't want to loose that fluffy feeling just want to get it down an inch lower.
I get that the more serious riders taking it through it's paces want a tighter firmer suspension and I've had all of that before. That's not why I bought a klr.
I'm mostly riding it on road as a commuter and occasionally go hunting down dirt roads but that's about it.

· Registered
2022 KLR650
1,412 Posts
I'm at 2 to 3 preload and the sag helps me get my feet down. It's a spongy ride but I associate it to being like riding a magic carpet. Yea it gets a little spongy in the turns but you don't feel any bumps and if you have any back issues is priceless. I don't want to loose that fluffy feeling just want to get it down an inch lower.
I get that the more serious riders taking it through it's paces want a tighter firmer suspension and I've had all of that before. That's not why I bought a klr.
I'm mostly riding it on road as a commuter and occasionally go hunting down dirt roads but that's about it.
In your case, you might be happy with a set of lowering links without needing to swap out the rear shock spring. You’ll likely need to crank the pre-load setting to 5 with the lowering links regardless….if you do go that route. Don’t forget to slide the front fork tubes up an inch too.

I do lots of off-road riding where the OEM spring would bottom-out on just about every riding occasion, so she had to go.

Reactions: Johnkmass

· Registered
113 Posts
I was at 2 preload with stock links but just added the eagle Mike's 1 inch lowering links and I had to bring the preload up to 3.
I guess it did soften up and I don't mind it, I'm getting use to it. I am looking at maybe swapping out the spring for maybe a 7.0 top gun.

21 - 25 of 25 Posts