Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got back from the Blackhills and the day we left we has strong cross winds approx 35 mph and it got worse as the day went the wind went close to 50 mph (according to the news) we road the hills for a few days and on the trip home we had the same type of wind for the return trip ...... the KLR is not a joy to ride in the wind when loaded with camping gear and a 6' 3" rider .... loved it in the hills touring through the twisty roads :)

·
Registered
177 Posts
Some people actually pay for a workout like that. :cool:

Glad you had a nice ride, that area is beautiful. Did you get to Spearfish Canyon?

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
we didn't do spearfish this year - we road iron mountion road - needles
highway - wildlife loop - up to crazyhorse and some other smaller roads

·
Threadjacker
6,768 Posts
Have you replaced the front fender/sail. If not, that makes a HUGE difference and costs nothing if you sell your old fender.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
no I haven't replaced the front fender - what one do you recommend ?

·
Threadjacker
6,768 Posts
You can look at this and see what I did. Some say that there is water spray problems with this fender. I've never noticed a problem. There are other fenders too, though. The stock one is just WAY too big. I ride over the GG bridge and on the coast in MAD wind on a regular basis. This is the cheapest and smartest mod I've done probably. You can take the hand guards off, too.

http://www.klrforum.com/showthread.php?t=5847

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thanks for the advice - i just ordered a new fender - I can't wait to try it out !

·
Threadjacker
6,768 Posts
No problem. Of all the mods I've done, I think the fender was the best bang for buck. I don't know what Kawi was thinking with those giant things.

Let us know what u think once you get er on.

·
Registered
562 Posts
That is next on my list. Stock fender combined with gigantic windshield equals a lot of getting knocked around when its windy.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I commute 90 miles per day on a really windy hwy. Turnagain arm is a fjord with the seward hwy on it. I put a ktm supermoto front fender and replaced stock handguards with barkbusters vps. It made a HUGE difference.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts