Kawasaki KLR Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone running an A/F gauge? I live at 7100 feet and apparently everything is down hill from here. I am currently running very rich. I am going to add Delkevik exhaust in hopes of leaning it out. I also have done the air box mod but the holes are plugged.

·
Registered
6 Posts
My 2012 KLR 650 is at home in Southeast Iowa (elevation 712 ft) next trip west to Ouray, Gunnison, Leadville, Co. want to do some riding. Looking for general carb jetting info while using stock exhaust. Does a good jetting calculator exist for altitude adjustments. Have had to re-jet ATV‘s for the up to 13000 ft elevation. Any ideas of jet numbers clip positions would be helpful.

·
Registered
'08 KLR
243 Posts
My 2012 KLR 650 is at home in Southeast Iowa (elevation 712 ft) next trip west to Ouray, Gunnison, Leadville, Co. want to do some riding. Looking for general carb jetting info while using stock exhaust. Does a good jetting calculator exist for altitude adjustments. Have had to re-jet ATV‘s for the up to 13000 ft elevation. Any ideas of jet numbers clip positions would be helpful.
Basically, a Constant Velocity (CV) carb is the next best thing to fuel injection. Because it's the vacuum levels in the carb throat that actually operate the slide/open the needle in the main jet, the carb adjusts itself to changes in altitude/pressure. Granted, even a CV carb - when dialed in to local conditions - will operate better under those conditions, but a CV carb dialed in to any conditions will operate acceptably under any conditions from Death Valley to the Mt. Evans Scenic Byway.

·
Registered
455 Posts
next trip west to Ouray, Gunnison, Leadville, Co. want to do some riding.
Hi Chad - I was just in Gunnison, Lake City, Leadville, etc. last weekend and had no problems with the AFR on my stock carburetor & exhaust (Gen 2, but no matter). You might want to turn up the idle speed a bit when you're at the really high elevations, and make sure your air cleaner is nice and clean, but you probably won't have to mess with anything like the jets or the mixture. Have fun!

·
Registered
287 Posts
A
As others have mentioned you will be fine no need to change or carry jets with you.
I rode from the coast of NC to all the passes on the alpine loop in CO last summer.
You will loose power in the high elevations but it will run might have to use that big knurled knob on the carb to increase the idle .

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hi Chad - I was just in Gunnison, Lake City, Leadville, etc. last weekend and had no problems with the AFR on my stock carburetor & exhaust (Gen 2, but no matter). You might want to turn up the idle speed a bit when you're at the really high elevations, and make sure your air cleaner is nice and clean, but you probably won't have to mess with anything like the jets or the mixture. Have fun!
Thanks

·
Registered
6 Posts
A

As others have mentioned you will be fine no need to change or carry jets with you.
I rode from the coast of NC to all the passes on the alpine loop in CO last summer.
You will loose power in the high elevations but it will run might have to use that big knurled knob on the carb to increase the idle .
Thanks

·
Registered
6 Posts
Basically, a Constant Velocity (CV) carb is the next best thing to fuel injection. Because it's the vacuum levels in the carb throat that actually operate the slide/open the needle in the main jet, the carb adjusts itself to changes in altitude/pressure. Granted, even a CV carb - when dialed in to local conditions - will operate better under those conditions, but a CV carb dialed in to any conditions will operate acceptably under any conditions from Death Valley to the Mt. Evans Scenic Byway.
Thanks

1 - 11 of 11 Posts