Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Administrator
8,374 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Part of the experience for me is making and modifying my gear. I have as much fun with that as I do with the bike, it seems.

Recently my wife almost threw me out of the house for messing up her dainty sewing machine while I was making some changes to the Olympia jacket. It took a trip to the sewing machine mechanic (who later said the poor little thing was screaming at him, it was so badly beaten) to get back into the house.

When she asked what I wanted for Father's Day, what else could I say?

I checked the Manly Man Manual, and sure enough, there it was on page 27.

It's OK for a man to have his own sewing machine, so we went out and found the KLR of sewing machines, a PFAFF 260, vintage 1963.

Look at this picture and tell me it doesn't make you want to go out and adjust the valves and do the doo on your KLR:

I was so excited that I immediately re-stitched all the webbing and strapping that holds my crappage on the bike.

That stuff is mountain climbing harness webbing. The wife's wee wittle White had protested mightily, crying something about there being a big pea under its mattress. The PFAFF just went through three layers of it like it was cotton dress material.

I have always said that if I'd had a son I'd have called him Colt Cobra Schmitz. Bah, now I'd just call him PFAFF. Some day they'd make a movie about his life and call it "The PFAFF Ultimatum", and they'd have to get Chuck Norris to play the part. There'd be hundreds of roundhouse kicks to the head.

I've got some ATV tank panniers coming from Overstock.com.

I hope they have to be modified...

Tom

·
Premium Member
4,751 Posts
Oh, and there's nothing wrong with getting something for home use, as long as it's for you..

Last night I ordered a Dyson Vacuum Cleaner.. My bagless Eureka has been a hunk of crap since the day I bought it.. I'd like to say it sucks, but it doesn't...

My fiance has 3 dogs, 2 kids, and a cleaning fetish..(no, not naked) and she can kill a vacuum in 6-9 months, easy.. Her Dyson has been running strong for over 2 years, which is a record..

Anyway, Fry's had refurbished DC14 on sale for $220.. One's headed my way.. Between a cat, wood stove and hauling in wood to keep it running, and the fact that I have needed new carpeting for 10 years, so I don't take my shoes off much, I figure I'll give it a good workout..

·
Threadjacker
6,768 Posts
Yup...you just opened yourself a world a trouble...I got patches waiting to be sewn on all kinds of shit. :)

·
Administrator
8,374 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Our vacuum is a Sears and I don't know who really makes it, but it's slowing breaking down. It's a heavy sucker, too.

I want one of those Dyson Balls. It would be a pain in the butt to do the stairs with, but it looks like a real hoot on the flat stuff.

Lockjaw - anytime you get down this way, bring your patching. We'll have a beer (or three) and sew our little hearts out...

Tom

·
Threadjacker
6,768 Posts
That's a deal, amigo. It can be like a more rugged quilting bee.

Where are you at by the way, it doesn't say...

·
Administrator
8,374 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Dan -

I'm down in the Los Angeles Southbay area - Redondo Beach.

Tom

·
Threadjacker
6,768 Posts
Cool. I have tons of friends in San Diego...next time I head down that way I'll let you know.

·
Threadjacker
6,768 Posts
In theory I will have gotten my act together enough to get the patches on by then, but we can still drink a beer and talk about sewing on the patches and all other things sewing related. :16a:

·
Administrator
8,374 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
My daughter is at San Diego State; I run down there from time to time.

Do let me know if you come through. Might be we could grab a cuppa joe or something. Or a beer. And, yeah, talking about sewing, that could be done in a manly way. I'll have to check the Manly Man Manual for the proper technique...

Tom

·
Threadjacker
6,768 Posts
Sounds good man.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I've really enjoyed and learned from the many posts and helpful hints Tom and Paper have provided for us in the past but after this one I think I may have to ask for their man cards.

Jk after 24 years of marriage I have done my share of vacuuming and sewing.

·
Administrator
8,374 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Same here , Paper.

FTOM.

Fat Tired Old Man...

Tom

·
Premium Member
4,751 Posts
Do we need a card for that too?
I don't really need a card for it or the FTOM status.. It's sorta like wondering if I'm old enough to buy a 6 pack of beer.. Just look into my eyes..:)

I remember not getting carded while buying beer at Walmart (who's supposed to card everyone) on my 40th birthday.. I worked at a paper mill that day and was almost wishing someone would notice that it was my birthday.. Nobody did..:(

·
Registered
14 Posts
It was the wife's idea form me to get the KLR, and then co-signed for me to get it cause I have no credit.:15: Not bad credit but NO CREDIT. So I don't have a man card. I have a "honey do" card with punch marks. If I get ten spots punched out I get to ride. But back to topic, I want to make my own bags that have molle straps on it like the military gear. That way I can add pouches on the outside to increase the load or tie stuff on. Any ideas would be helpful.

Mark

·
Registered
52 Posts
I'd pull the cover often and keep an eye on that spring. That design is not doing to well in the newer KLR's so I would be suspect of it in newer sewing machines also. You may even call Eagle Mike's and see if they make a torsion spring set-up for that application.

·
Threadjacker
6,768 Posts
I'd pull the cover often and keep an eye on that spring. That design is not doing to well in the newer KLR's so I would be suspect of it in newer sewing machines also. You may even call Eagle Mike's and see if they make a torsion spring set-up for that application.
LOL :63a:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts