Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I'm one to believe that if you set your mind to it you can do just about anything. I refuse to pay over $20 for brackets for a pair of fog lights that cost $15. I wanted to make them myself so I went to Home Depot and scoured the shelfs until I could find something that jumped out at me.

And here she is... I saw lots of potential and being galvanized was a plus.

With lots of staring, bending, more staring and more bending, this is was she turned in to. The first one was easy. It was making the second one as a mirror image of the first, that was the hard part.

And here it is on the bike. They'll work for now just fine but I do have to redesign and build it so it's not so close to the forks. Now if I can just figure out how to hook them up!! :ashamed0001:

Oh, the brackets cost 79 cents each. The day after the install I went to carnegie and they held up just fine. The rubber grommets will hopefully prolong the life of the bulbs, which were both replaced with 35w'ers.

·
Threadjacker
6,768 Posts
Good looking, man.

·
Registered
88 Posts
put your tassle on the other side

Another proud graduate of MakeDo U.

·
Premium Member
2,453 Posts
Hey John, nice bracket. With your talents you should not have a problem duplicating that bracket.

What are the measurements of that bracket or the item number? I am thinking it could become a Stebel horn bracket.

·
Threadjacker
6,768 Posts
Interesting idea, Tim. Having the horn outside the bike would add a little more oomph, too (hey, if you're going loud, go LOUD, huh?) :)

·
Premium Member
2,453 Posts
Interesting idea, Tim. Having the horn outside the bike would add a little more oomph, too (hey, if you're going loud, go LOUD, huh?) :)
Actually it would be under the fuel tank. The horn bracket is shaped like half of the bow-tie bracket John bought. The question is the dimensions for the bow-tie bracket.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well, here they are installed! Yahoo! These are really bright at night. I fitted them wit 35watt bulbs from the stock 55watt.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Sex, fire, tax. In that order .:29::29:

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
I found that bulbs last longer if I put a little grease on their bases.

I know it sounds funny but I've done this to my trailer lights several years ago and they light right up every spring after outside winter storage.

It also provides a small amount of resistance to vibration and inhibits rust and oxidation of the sockets

·
Premium Member
2,453 Posts
I found that bulbs last longer if I put a little grease on their bases.

I know it sounds funny but I've done this to my trailer lights several years ago and they light right up every spring after outside winter storage.

It also provides a small amount of resistance to vibration and inhibits rust and oxidation of the sockets
Dielectric grease works great.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts