Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Lifetime Member
2,483 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Left my tailgate open the other day, look what followed me home! :character00201:

·
Administrator
8,292 Posts
"Oh, my", said Tom in Sulu voce.

Where's Lockjaw? I want him to see that, a double pun in a Swiftie...

Nice bike, man! It looks like a hoot!

Tom

·
Registered
26 Posts
you'll love it. Looks like it has been loved lightly. my first bike of my second childhood was a WR. Still part of my stable. So much easier to pick up when it lays down. Keep us posted on your experiences.

·
Lifetime Member
2,483 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys! I haven't really had a chance to get it out yet, hopefully this weekend. I wan't to give it a good once over to see how the previous owner treated it. But, it's only got 3000 km's on it and it looks really good. Dang thing is tall though! Lol! :bike:

·
Registered
26 Posts
I feel you probably already know it, but the bike can b lowered about an inch by way of factory adjustments.
I was tempted to spend some money lowering mine, but by using the factory adjustments and a bit of practice, I decided I could enjoy it without spending the extra bucks.

·
Lifetime Member
2,483 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I feel you probably already know it, but the bike can b lowered about an inch by way of factory adjustments.
I was tempted to spend some money lowering mine, but by using the factory adjustments and a bit of practice, I decided I could enjoy it without spending the extra bucks.
I've read that, but haven't checked it out yet, I'll have to read up on it some more. Is it just preload adjustments?

Gave it a good going over tonight, other than it looks like the previous owner wasn't big on chain maintenance it looks really good! I can't wait to get it insured and registered so I can take it on a real trip! :character00201:

·
Registered
26 Posts
slide the fork tubes up in the triple tree. The rear shock has a height adjustment as well.
If you look below the swing arm on the shock assembly itself, there is a black round rubber nut looking gizmo. loosen the hex nut below it and make the threads between the hex nut and the rubber nut disappear.( not too good with mechanical terms.)
Finally, yes you can take some of the height out of it by relieving some preload. I had "experts" tell me that would only make for a softer ride, but I lowered mine so much I didn't have enough adjustment in my headlight and had to make some extensions to get the headlight to point downward enough. As time goes on, I am reintroducing more preload and I am almost back to factory setting. I guess my fat arse is slowly killing the spring. I am sure there are a host of youtube clips on the subject.
hope this help. I know you will love it. if not, they sell like snowballs on a hot day. don't know your year but with those low miles (kms??) that looks like at least a $3800 bike if it is an "08

·
Lifetime Member
2,483 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
slide the fork tubes up in the triple tree. The rear shock has a height adjustment as well.
If you look below the swing arm on the shock assembly itself, there is a black round rubber nut looking gizmo. loosen the hex nut below it and make the threads between the hex nut and the rubber nut disappear.( not too good with mechanical terms.)
Finally, yes you can take some of the height out of it by relieving some preload. I had "experts" tell me that would only make for a softer ride, but I lowered mine so much I didn't have enough adjustment in my headlight and had to make some extensions to get the headlight to point downward enough. As time goes on, I am reintroducing more preload and I am almost back to factory setting. I guess my fat arse is slowly killing the spring. I am sure there are a host of youtube clips on the subject.
hope this help. I know you will love it. if not, they sell like snowballs on a hot day. don't know your year but with those low miles (kms??) that looks like at least a $3800 bike if it is an "08
Ah, thanks for the info! I'm going to get it insured and registered tomorrow and then try a little trail riding, it rides beautifully from the little I've had it out so far :).

It's an 09, and the 3000 km's works out to about 1875 miles... Lol, hardly anything! I did extremely well on the price, actually thought it might be hot at first. Lol!

·
Registered
26 Posts
second that!!!! a few guys plate the wr450f but it aint the same.
the beauty of the wr250r is the long service intervals and maintenance free reliability. IMHO

·
Premium Member
6,688 Posts
At 12,000 to 14,000 RPM, I'd be a whole lot careful about 'extended service' intervals!
Just my two cents, worth!

·
Registered
26 Posts
Conventional wisdom is the rev-limiter catches it at 10,800 but I rarely hit that.
I run my chainsaw WAO but not my bike.
That being said, they are pretty darn bullet proof.

·
Lifetime Member
2,483 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I put about 3 or 400 km's on the WR this last weekend. Probably 250 of that was rough gravel roads that spring thaw is not being kind to. The bike never missed a beat and once you get used to keeping the RPM's up, it's an absolute hoot to ride! Lol, deep soft sand is still my nemesis though, maybe with some 606's??? ;)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts