Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

681 - 700 of 723 Posts

·
Registered
774 Posts
I'm guessing the can was mostly empty? Dirt and water in the bottom maybe....or just old fuel?
On another note, who are you using for photo hosting now that Photobucket has had it's hissyfit about third party photohosting?
JJ
A; Old gas can. I'm going to drain it and fill up with some premium since there's not much else to do around here.

B; I'm using https://imageshack.com right now. It was free when i started using it years ago, but it's now about $35 a year I think. it does not support videos though.

Reactions: justjeff

·
Administrator
3,609 Posts
On another note, who are you using for photo hosting now that Photobucket has had it's hissyfit about third party photohosting?
JJ
Jeff. I've had good results from either: imgbb

OR

imgur

I do find that getting the IMG link sorted from IMGBB is easier than IMGUR.

New to us wheels by the way. Sold the Goldwing and got into this.

·
Premium Member
3,206 Posts
Beautiful Nick! I was going to razz you about getting a new car, thinking the pic was just a stock image. Guess that would have backfired! What is it? I love the colour! :)
I'll check out the links. Thanks!
Jeff

·
Administrator
3,609 Posts
I'm not a HD fan but that looks pretty nice. Is there away to hide the battery?

·
Administrator
3,609 Posts
Beautiful Nick! I was going to razz you about getting a new car, thinking the pic was just a stock image. Guess that would have backfired! What is it? I love the colour! :)
I'll check out the links. Thanks!
Jeff
It's a 1999 Mazda Miata, Anniversary Edition. Colour only used on this car. 7500 worldwide of which 150 came to Canada. It's a hoot!!

·
Registered
1,062 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,206 Posts
Yes, the battery cover is missing. I will have to find one. A couple of odd things on this bike....1)The shifter and foot brake are reversed. 1973 was just before the federal regs came out mandating controll positions. Makes it very weird to drive with the right side shifter/left side brake. 2)In it's early life the bike had a Mikuni carb installed. It lacks an accelerator pump so I may do a further conversion to a CV40 from a newer Sportster just like some have done on here for the KLR. 3)Being a Sportster it has no electric starter....That's right, 1000cc kickstart only! It is actually not bad to kick over but could be tiresome if flooded! It usually starts on the second kick. 4) The charging system is a true generator and the ignition is a single coil and points firing both cylinders at the same time. You ain't starting this bike with a dead battery!

The bike sat in storage from 1995 till now. The fuel petcock was left open so ALL the fuel drained from the tank and evaporated in the carb. The carb was well and truly varnished up. The slide was seized solidly as were all the bits in the float bowl. It took a day and a half to get it apart and cleaned up. Willy's trick of using Pinesol worked well but some of the residue required alcohol as a solvent to dissolve. I have it running well now but don't like the throttle hesitation due to the lack of an accelerator pump on the Mikuni carb.

Nick, Thanks for fixing the links. How do I do it so you don't need to?
JJ

PS. I'm not a HD guy either but really liked the vintage/retro look of this one. Non running it wasn't TOO expensive!
jj

·
Premium Member
3,206 Posts
I almost bought one of the Miatas new, when they first came out. Really liked the look but didn't care for the interior. I suppose it has changed a bunch in subsequent years. The ground effects give it a much different look!
JJ

·
Administrator
8,482 Posts

·
Administrator
8,482 Posts
OK, no shortcuts.

First, nice bike!

Second, I'm sure you'll get it fixed up proper, as shown below.

Third, Jim Bronson.

Reactions: Candubrain

·
Premium Member
3,206 Posts
Thanks Tom, it all makes sense now! Of course I was 5 when that show aired IN THE USA! I don't think my family even had a TV yet at that time..... his bike is a '69 so a little different than mine! Looking forward to watching the series now. :)
JJ

·
Registered
541 Posts
My son (in the photo) and I were at the Southern Discovery Dual Sport Rally in Hohenwald, Tennessee (near Nashville) last weekend. He rode the KLR650 and I rode my DR650. Great weekend!

This was my second rally with the fledgling Tennessee Dual Sport Association this year; first for my son. They had a Spring and a Fall rally this year and will have the same (plus fringe events) next year. The tracks are outstanding and these guys are fast! If you can get to one of their events, I highly recommend.

https://www.tndualsport.com/

·
Registered
774 Posts
Got out of the smoke today and headed for the beach. They're getting the fires under control and it was a lot better around Northern California.
And a little warmer weather. It was 80 degrees at Stinson Beach and the Siren Cafe today.

And then after a great lunch we sat on the beach and watched people and the waves. Then my wife turns around and says "There's a guy riding a motorcycle down to the beach.."

I'm thinking "Lucky Dog!" and then I see the Gen 1 outline... "It's a KLR!" Had to get a shot of the Park Ranger cruising by.

My wife thinks I should apply for that job.

·
Registered
389 Posts
Went for a ride today on the bike my wife says I never ride (not true), to a place I've never been before (this is true). Santiago Peak, Orange County, California. Paved (more or less) roads in yellow, OHV in Red. Google Maps: 33.711075, -117.532631

681 - 700 of 723 Posts