Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I put an EBC 320mm rotor kit on my bike about 6mo ago. I'm using the EBC FA130R pads. This combo is seems to stop with amazing power, but seems to really groove up the rotor. I know the rotor will get worn quicker with HH rated pads, but the EBC pads seem to really do a number on the rotor. Anyone else experience the same wear pattern?

-Erik

·
Registered
35 Posts
I didn't quite like the EBC pads so i went with the Galfer Green pads front and rear. Stopping power is much better now and they don't wear the rotors like the EBC's. Braking is a little more sketchy off road though, have to be real easy on them in the loose stuff.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Did you not like the EBC's because of the wear? or were you not impressed with the stopping power? or both. What friction rating are the Galfers you are using, G or HH or something different?

-Erik

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Biker Scout said:
I just asked for the "Green Pads" from Fred. He only carries the correct variant for the KLR.
The green Galfers are organic/kevlar I think. I heard they dont stop as well, and they dont last long. I guess someone else with green Galfers will chime in. I originally asked about the EBC issue because they really scorred up the rotors...but maybe thats the point? They stop very well, and maybe the rotor wear is the negative effect. The HH compound has the most friction value (being sintered metallic). I emailed EBC directly about the condition and will post the reply. After thinking about it, its probably a normal condition (at least for that particular EBC combo rotor and pad)

Biker Scout, did you get the MB check valve?

-Erik

·
Registered
595 Posts
I was not aware of any negative side affect with the Green Pads. Now that I think about it, when referring to the green pads are we talking about the backing plate being green? Because I ordered both front and rear and the rear brake pads do not have the backing plate painted in green. Also, what happens if this disc gets scored beyond repair? Can we just get a new outer ring riveted on?

Yeah, I got the valve... and thank you. I have yet to put it on. When I put my new battery in I'll do it.

I can't recall the direction the suction should go however. We want air to escape but not leak in, correct?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The green Glafer pads will do no damage to rotors because of the organic/kevlar material used in them. I actually dont know what the green glafers look like, I just kinda know about the green pads because of the compound that is used. My take is organic pads burn up quick, and semi-mattalic pads or sintered pads last longer, grip better, and score rotors. Maybe I'm off on this, but I think thats how it goes.

The check valve should let air escape (push out) and seal on vaccum (let no air in). Install it the oposite of what the arrow says on the valve I gave you. ^motor^ away from motor.

-Erik

·
Registered
24 Posts
I found that the Glapher Black pads stop a little better than the Greens and should last longer due to their construction. While they may wear the rotor down more than the Greens they are far quieter, and so far with several miles rotor wear is non-issue even less wear than the stock pads.

·
Registered
595 Posts
Well, since I put on Stainless Steel Lines as well as the 320mm Rotor, I'm sure the stopping power will still throw me over the bars on my first ride compared to the stock breaks. I'll bet the green pads are going to be an improvement anyway.

Now you've got me all worried about rotor wear.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I can only image rotor wear being an issue with a HH rated pad. But how much wear is the question. My EBC rotor is getting worn pretty quickly from those HH pads.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I find the braking power to be a lot better with the Greens and seems to be wearing the rotors less. I'm not concerned about them wearing down quicker, the performance is worth the trade-off in my opinion.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I use Galfer green pads and haven't had any rotor scarring......they work great on-road but can be touchy in the loose stuff.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Just a note about pad compounds from my auto experience. The alloy in the rotors is engineered to work with the pad compound. Putting the latest high friction pads on an older alloy will eat the rotor alive. Ideally the rotor will not wear noticably with the pads and should outlive many sets of pads. If the rotors score or get too thin they become a hazard.

Best to stick with the proper compound for the rotor....which begs the question, where is this oversized rotor coming from (another bike?) and what is the manufacturer recommended brake pad compound it?

Once the compound is determined, there are various grades available and you'll be able to make a much more informed selection.

Best of luck,

TW

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
The EBC rotor was brand new, as well as the pads. I've learned the EBC rotor is a low-carbon steel rotor designed to work with the FA130R pads. The FA130R's are the highest friction available from EBC. I questioned the use of these pads with a low carbon steel rotor (softer). My response was that was the intention. The above combo stops real well, but does put a little more wear than expected on the rotor. This info was straight from an EBC rep. If the this set up from EBC does not last too much longer, I will try the wave set up from Cyclebrakes.com.
-Erik

·
Registered
53 Posts
Well, here's another question then: Anyone with a 320mm rotor run the Galfer Greens yet? Might be a really good combo...

·
Registered
53 Posts
I think the combo of Galfer Greens and 320mm discs would be the thing, since I think Greens and the stock rotor are pretty good.

Keep us updated on that combo Biker Scout.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts