Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm trying to spec out a set of hand guards and am a little confused about the fit on our stock handlebars. So far the only set that I can find that actually states that it will fit the KLR650 is the Bark Busters, which total almost a hundred bucks w/ shipping from Twisted Throttle.

One other setup I was looking at was a Moose racing package from Happy Trails, but they come with a new handlebar as well, so that leads me to believe they won't mount up easily to the stock bars.

Seems that most of the other setups I've seen are in the $50 to 60$ price range. I just can't find the info for specific mounts to our bikes.

Really what I'd like to know is after everything is said and done, what is the price range I should expect to pay for a setup that I don't have to replace the handlebars and involves minimal modification?

As always, any help is greatly appreciated.

-Chuck

·
Registered
5,800 Posts
Meant to add, with the aluminum handguards only, you can drill your OEM plastic wind thingys and screw them to the aluminum handguards (already drilled and threaded), doesn't look bad at all and provides better wind protection than the full-up Tusk setup, even with spoilers.

·
Registered
84 Posts
chuck, I look forward to seeing the guards on the next ride. I am interested if the guards will prevent the damage to the brake/clutch handle as I experienced.

·
Registered
1,928 Posts
chuck, I look forward to seeing the guards on the next ride. I am interested if the guards will prevent the damage to the brake/clutch handle as I experienced.

An old dirt bike trick is to tighten up your lever mounts just enough to hold them in position but loose enough so that they will rotate in a fall.

The stock bars have a hole and the lever mounts have a corresponding nub (that fits into the holes) preventing the levers from rotating. Grind off the nubs so the levers can move. Even with hand guards the levers are vunerable.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Well I just installed a set of Tusk with spoilers from Rock Mountain ATV-MC.

To install them I had to cut off then grind the small loop on the handlebars (clutch side).
I thought the handlebars would be hollow at the ends but after removing the stock bar weights, this proved to be incorrect. They are threaded for an M8, IIRC. I had some socket head caps screws in that size at my shop that I used for now, but I'll need to get some shorter flatheads to clean it up. Well, that's if I decide not to use the weights anymore. I'm going to ride it a few days to decide if they're needed.

So the install was not too painful, but I did have the tools on hand to modify the handlebars. The guards are pretty beefy and look like they'll hold up well.

-Chuck

·
Registered
84 Posts
Sounds like it should have been easier than what you went through. Is there something unusual about the KLR bars? I got the Motech engine guards on, look good, solid. I am ready to ride, now I need the time.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Sounds like it should have been easier than what you went through. Is there something unusual about the KLR bars?
I figured there would be some minor issues with them, so I did it at my shop where all my tools are. In hindsight, if I would have pulled the weights off earlier and checked out the mounting provisions, I would have been better prepared.

I got the Motech engine guards on, look good, solid.
I think you made a good choice with the Motech bars, wish I'd gone with them instead of the HT bars.

I am ready to ride, now I need the time.
I know you've got a pretty full plate this weekend, maybe next?

·
Registered
186 Posts
I've been doing a lot of reading and the consensus seems to be Tusk but then I read about some have real install issues, others don't seem to have any, it must be a perception thing??
I have an 09, what will I need to do for a proper install?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts