Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Due to a hectic schedule, I’m a bit late with this RR but thought I would post some pics of a recent ride. A few weeks back I took a couple days off from work to hopefully catch the fall colors in the Smoky Mountains. Apparently this year was a bit off and I missed most of the colors, but I still had a great, short trip.
I headed out towards Tellico Plains Tennessee to visit Mike at Tellico Motorcycle Outfitters and check on a few items. For those that don’t know Mike, he is a fellow rider and a wealth of information on riding gear. He has a well stocked store where a rider can fondle/try on a variety of gear if they are in the area or several times I have called and had it shipped( no affiliation ,just a happy customer).

On the way up I saw these folks out for a drive in some really cool cars

Not many colors but a great day for a ride !

From Tellico I headed out to find a place to camp. With this creek to get water from

I set up camp and enjoyed the peacefulness of the mountains for the evening

I got out of the hammock before daylight to make coffee and it didn’t seem too cold. I went to get water out of the waterbag,it was frozen so I checked the two thermometers and it was 26 deg. By the time I got packed it had warmed up to 30 deg. and the sun was up so it was nice for riding along the creek.

I was heading towards a different part of Tennessee and ended up riding the Dragon which has a few nice views along the way

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)

Several displays and information on knives and other types of cutlery

Their items range from el cheapo pocket knives made in china on up to excellent quality knives made in the USA and other counties as well. The lower level is basically a nic-nac , gift shop, type atmosphere where those not interested in knives can spend time shopping.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
It was getting late in the afternoon so I went to look for a place to camp. Douglas Dam wasn’t far away so I camped in a posh(showers and water faucets) campground below the dam. The temp that night was 49 deg. so it was quite a contrast to the night before.

Riding out the next morning I saw a few dots on this hillside(near the middle of the pic)

I zoomed in and there were about a half dozen turkeys in the field

I spent the morning cruising the backroads of Tennessee and North Carolina

I came upon this place with a unique name, but it was early and they were closed. Kinda wonder about what the two guys and the pig do in the mountains(the locals in the movie Deliverance).

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Still no colors but nice riding

I was having a great time riding paved twisties and switchbacks thinking the riding couldn’t get much better

Then it did… the same road turned to gravel twisties and switchbacks

I spent the rest of the day enjoying the views along the way.

Even though the leaf colors were a bit off, it was great ride in beautiful country.

·
Registered
901 Posts
Looks like a beautiful area! Thanks for sharing it with us!

·
Administrator
3,565 Posts
Two calendar worthy picts right here:

·
Missed Gear
1,193 Posts
Nice trip.

Is that tent just a tarp? Nice.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the comments :)

Nice trip.

Is that tent just a tarp? Nice.
Yes,it's a tarp, a 12x14 Chinook. I sleep in a hammock and in cooler weather I can bring the tarp down close to the ground and clip the ends closed(sort of like a big pup tent) to keep it warmer inside. It works out really well.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts