Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Threadjacker
6,768 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I always think of bikers as having more in common than we don't have in common. This is because I am not very bright. This weekend, my wife and I were fishing with the Bean (Frankie) and I saw a SUPER tricked out Harley, so we went to take a look. Huge bike, painted maroon. Deep Red. Something like that. There were pictures of naked women ALL over the bike. Really nicely done if that's your thing...someone is good with an airbrush. Anyway, I was standing looking at this bike (it had so much chrome on it that it actually kind of hurt to look at in the sun). And of course, two leather 'helmets' in matching maroon...which matched the maroon "crocodile-skin" seat. Helmets is a misnomer. Think yarmulke.

My wife asked me about the bike. I told her all I knew...it was a big ass harley that someone put a ton of money into. I told her (and believe) that it probably cost the guy at least 5X what both my bikes are worth. Probably more. Had a few hundred miles on it and a few hundred layers of paint and clear coat. My wife asked if I liked it. I said, 'Good lord...no!". Not that I'm a prude. I just have some taste. ;)

Anyway, it really hit home to me that people experience motorcycling in many different ways. Big realization, huh? :)

I know I don't have a lot in common with the Hell's Angels either, but at least they ride their bikes. Where I live there are a lot of dudes who only ride their bikes from the garage to different prominent display locations. Makes for boring trip reports I'd imagine. And quite the expensive hobby. Made me glad I have a KLR.

·
Registered
109 Posts
I call them mall crusiers like they do the lifted 4x4's that never see dirt..

We have two or three custom shops here like Orange County Choppers.. They are nice but not my cup of tea. and all these guys do with a bike that cost what a corvette convertible does is ride to wed nite bike nite at the bars .. I guess it's their dime have at it.. Don't work for me though..

·
Premium Member
1,534 Posts
It takes all kinds. Owners of things like that (notice I didn't say riders) suffer from the "look at me" syndrome, and you played right into it by going to look and feed his ego.

I go for function over form. Imagine posting a comment like that on a KLR forum, Ha!

·
Threadjacker
6,768 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
In my defense, I was talking some pretty good shit (sanitized for baby ears) at the time, and if he was within earshot I doubt he got an ego boost. ;)

·
Premium Member
1,534 Posts
In my defense, I was talking some pretty good shit (sanitized for baby ears) at the time, and if he was within earshot I doubt he got an ego boost. ;)
Oh no LJ, not slamming you! Just commenting about why some folks do what they do. :) I've been guilty of the same.

·
Banned
44 Posts
Exactly why I ride a KLR. People look at it and go "uhg", and keep moving. No one has ever asked if they could ride my bike, or even acted like they wanted to, perfect.:animal0019:

·
Premium Member
1,534 Posts
I suppose if I had a boatload of money I would be riding my KLR and a F 800 GS and a 990 Adventure. But I darn sure wouldn't be spending it on paint and chrome.

·
Threadjacker
6,768 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
No offense taken, Flash. Yeah. I don't get it. I just want my bike to start every time. Being fun to ride doesn't hurt. ;)

·
Premium Member
1,534 Posts
No offense taken, Flash. Yeah. I don't get it. I just want my bike to start every time. Being fun to ride doesn't hurt. ;)
A little testy today, just did 14 hours in the oil patch of New Mexico. My main point was there are riders and there are owners. There are owners that have bikes as a "fashion accessory".

Sure wish I could have taken a little breather this evening riding.

·
Registered
704 Posts
Like Sly and the Family Stone said in the 60's -- "Differen' strokes for differen' folks....."

Wife has a co-worker. Really great guy. Just picked up his third new H-D. Full dresser. When wife asked how it differed from his trade-in, his reply was "Well, this one has a 6 disc CD changer". He's really proud of having gone to Sturgis last year (loooong way from Corpus Christi). Turns out he and 4 buddys rented a uhaul truck. Two of them drove, the rest flew.

He recently told me he was a "RUB" --- Rich Urban Biker.

He actually puts 5 or 6k miles per year on his bike, so he does ride far more that most.

·
Threadjacker
6,768 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
BigIron. That reminds me of a funny one. Wife used to nanny for some rich folks. The guy had a real nice BMW if you like that stuff. Anyway. One day the kid says, "Daddy got a new car". Karen looks out the window and says, "I don't think so buddy". They go to check it out...dude bought the EXACT same car. It WAS a year newer I guess. But his old one probably still had the new car smell. He didn't even change colors!

That one still blows my mind.

Different strokes is right. I might have tried a Porsche on for size for a year. ;)

·
Registered
79 Posts
Like Sly and the Family Stone said in the 60's -- "Differen' strokes for differen' folks....."

Wife has a co-worker. Really great guy. Just picked up his third new H-D. Full dresser. When wife asked how it differed from his trade-in, his reply was "Well, this one has a 6 disc CD changer". He's really proud of having gone to Sturgis last year (loooong way from Corpus Christi). Turns out he and 4 buddys rented a uhaul truck. Two of them drove, the rest flew.

He recently told me he was a "RUB" --- Rich Urban Biker.

He actually puts 5 or 6k miles per year on his bike, so he does ride far more that most.
I thought it was some real short dude that said that in the 80's, you know, that little guy who sells bad loans for cash call these days? lol

Anyways, gotta say having owned harleys, crotch rockets, standards, and all the rest, I love all bikes. These days, the KiLleR suits me perfect, but as long as they're ridden, all bikes have their place.

·
Premium Member
368 Posts
Well said by all as far as my two cents those bikes are nice some done better than others but ther is a lot said about versatility you will not find any of them able to go where we can go our jorny has endless adventures with few limitations.:)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts