Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK I purchased a 2009 KLR 650 with only 1016 miles on it. (It looks like new and was purchased from a elderly gent and I have no reason to believe that it had issues). The only mods that he had done were to fit a FMF pipe with power bomb and has a supertrapp slip on and moose jet kit. He also had the air box moded by basically cutting holes in it.
I have put 2000 extra miles on it and now and again it will just cut out (just like going on to reserve) I then pull over cycle the kill switch, put on reserve and after a few hits on the starter she fires right back up I then take it of reserve and she runs great.
Its done this about six or seven times and tonight it did it as I was running about 50 so I had time to put it on reserve , but this did not help. I have noticed that it tends to do it more when I am between 160 and 200 miles on a full tank.
Never had this happen before so any advice would be appreciated. I am going to run some sea foam through her just for the hell of it, but other than that, not sure what to do other than remove carb and petcock and inspect.
ANYONE else had this PROBLEM

·
Threadjacker
6,768 Posts
My advice was going to start with run some Seafoam through it. And then make sure your gas cap is venting. And if that doesn't fix it, the smart fellas will follow up. ;)

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
My advice was going to start with run some Seafoam through it. And then make sure your gas cap is venting. And if that doesn't fix it, the smart fellas will follow up. ;)
Defiantly going to run some sea foam through it. As far as the gas cap venting. That seems to be ok as you can hear it on hot days hissing.

·
Administrator
8,256 Posts
The 2008 models had an issue with harness chafing. There was a recall. Some wires in the harness could chafe through and, if it was the right wires, the ignition would cut out. Sometimes it was an intermittant thing.

Might be a thought if you are sure the vents are good.

The vacuum operated petcock can puke the gasket and obstruct fuel flow, too, so you might look into that. It's really a diaphragm/gasket and thus rubber-ish. I guess ethanol is not to kind to it.

An '08 with that kind of mileage done been sittin' some.

Tom

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
To test the gas cap theory, run with an extra key in the cap so you can pop it open quickly the next time it happens. If it clears up when you open the cap, clean the vent valves in the cap.

·
Threadjacker
6,768 Posts
Had this problem with my 73 honda cb450 when I first got it. Beautiful bike. I had to replace the gas cap with a salvage that wasn't half as nice as the original. Anyway. Easy to check. Like was said. Or if it's happening consistently (my honda would make it three blocks and die over and over before a friend recommended riding with it open) then try riding with the cap open. I wouldn't take hissing as an all fine. Leave it open.

Let us know. Good luck.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
OK thanks for the advice. will run for the next few weeks with spare key in gas cap, and hope I can catch it quick enough. It might not do it for a week or two, but I will defiantly get back to you all and let you know the outcome.

·
Registered
895 Posts
OK thanks for the advice. will run for the next few weeks with spare key in gas cap, and hope I can catch it quick enough. It might not do it for a week or two, but I will defiantly get back to you all and let you know the outcome.
don't fill the tank!

·
Registered
11 Posts
I had similar problems and it turns out that the hose by the reserve switch (vacuum hose) was pinched. Straightening it out fixed the problem. Probably not the issue but easy to check anyway.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
OK guys I think we got it figured out. Coming home tonight it did it again within half a mile of the last time. This time I was slowing down for a stop sign with a pickup in front of me, shifting down to third it seemed to hesitate then as I was almost at the stopping point it started to die on me. I have been running around with a spare key in the gas tank and as soon as I popped the cap open she came back to life:mexican wave:

On a side note this always seemed to happen when I was 2/3 empty or more, so I am guessing with the extra volume for fume build up the vent was having to really work hard.

Aside from obviously checking the breather line, I assume I CAN GET TO THE INTERNALS OF THE GAS CAP AND CHECK OUT THE VENT BY UNDOING THE FEW SCREWS THAT ARE UNDERNIETH IT? (Yes I will stuff a rag in the filler hole just in case a rogue screw desides to escape).

Will let you no what I find.

Thanks again for everyones input as the vent that not crossed my mind.

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
You can take the whole cap and mount off the tank and put it on a towel on your work surface to keep from losing parts.

·
Threadjacker
6,768 Posts
OK guys I think we got it figured out. Coming home tonight it did it again within half a mile of the last time. This time I was slowing down for a stop sign with a pickup in front of me, shifting down to third it seemed to hesitate then as I was almost at the stopping point it started to die on me. I have been running around with a spare key in the gas tank and as soon as I popped the cap open she came back to life:mexican wave:

On a side note this always seemed to happen when I was 2/3 empty or more, so I am guessing with the extra volume for fume build up the vent was having to really work hard.

Aside from obviously checking the breather line, I assume I CAN GET TO THE INTERNALS OF THE GAS CAP AND CHECK OUT THE VENT BY UNDOING THE FEW SCREWS THAT ARE UNDERNIETH IT? (Yes I will stuff a rag in the filler hole just in case a rogue screw desides to escape).

Will let you no what I find.

Thanks again for everyones input as the vent that not crossed my mind.
Hey brother. Instead of trying to open the cap when it happens, without a full tank, just ride with it open. No gas will spill out. If it doesn't crap out, you'll know it's the vent.

I'm imagining your two key set up. Sounds ninja cool, but try just riding with it open. :)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts