Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My still new to me 2012 with 10k kilometres has a Mefo Explorer in good shape on the back and wht is probably the original Dunlop K750 on the front.

The Dunlop is worn, badly cupped (think the PO ran it underinflated on the highway) and also cracking so it's time for a front replacement. The question is what's a good match for the Mefo on the back - another MEFO is one possibility, but I'm open to other suggestions - most of my riding (90%) will be pavement.

·
Premium Member
6,822 Posts
I'll suggest another OEM Dunlop K750, they are reasonably priced in the USA.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, but not finding anyone offering those in Canada - only Dunlops I can find are the Dualsport and the Trailsmart Dualsport at about the same price as the Mefos.

Does anybody know of a Canadian source for the Dunlop K750s?

·
Premium Member
6,822 Posts
Thanks, but not finding anyone offering those in Canada - only Dunlops I can find are the Dualsport and the Trailsmart Dualsport at about the same price as the Mefos.

The K750s are only available from a Kawasaki Dealer in the USA.
Sorry I didn't say this earlier. :(

So how far away is your local K Dealer? Or do any Canadian K Dealers sell OEM Parts and accessories on the web?

·
Administrator
3,568 Posts
For what your describe as your use I would go with the Kenda K761. I run these a lot and love them. Search on here and you'll find others feeling the same.

I buy my tires here: https://fortnine.ca/en/kenda-k761-dual-sport-tl-tire

$75 and change plus government tip and free shipping. I can remember when I could get a set of 761's for $100.

·
Administrator
3,568 Posts
I picked up a set of K750 take offs on Kijiji if you want to try that.

The Kenda I recommended will give you a much longer life though. I've gotten better than 30,000 km out of a rear.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for all the advice. It's been unseasonably warm here yesterday and today - still 17C/63F. So I've been able to get out for a shot ride both days. Today I went to a local dealer who I had never visited before and as it happened he had the last of his Avon Gripsters on sale for $40Cdn (about 30.50 USD). Couldn't pass that up. It has a late 2012 date code, but was still nice and soft and considering I will burn through it this year, I'm not worried.

I'm puzzled by the wear on the current Dunlop. The front edge of each block is significantly higher than the back of the next block (see pic). It's consistent side to side and around the tire so the only thing I can think of is underinflation by the P.O.

Attachments

·
Administrator
3,568 Posts
That's a smoking' deal on a great tire. Liked the Gripster except for the price. I should visit my dealer and see if they have some kicking around.

·
Premium Member
6,822 Posts
dj,
I rode Avon Gripsters for as long as I could get them and I started late, I wish I had tried them earlier. I rode 2 different fronts 15,000 each and 4 different rears got between 8500 and 11,000 miles. They rode smooth, quiet and consistent.

As to the sloping tread blocks on the K750, totally Normal. You've got to look at the tire from the 'worms eye view' and then consider squeezing the front brake at every stop sign!

Keep your skinny front tire pressure 2 psi Higher than the rear.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts