Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Some of you all know that I hosted a KLR650 tech day at my house recently. I ride a KTM LC4E dualsport not a KLR but have a number of buddies who ride the KLR's.
I assume there will be some tech day stuff going on during the weekend doohickies and the like. My KTM needs a valve inspection and possible adjustment and I was wondering if someone at TDP whose familiar with the task could help me through it?
I can copy this and bring it along for assistance.
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=55445
Is this too taboo of a request? :lol:
Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
284 Posts
Welcome to the board first of all! Your request is fine and I hope someone here is knowledgeable in that area. I'm not the person however, if they exist here it won't take long for them to come forward.

I get confused when you guys merely "change your oil" ....L O L!! :lol:

·
Premium Member
1,429 Posts
That will be nice,,,, a bunch of KLR riders wrenching on a KTM. :lol: :lol:

I can see it now,, where does this orange thinky go??????????????????

I hope there is someone that can help, I can watch :wink:

Welcome to the forum BTW.....

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I just figured with those detailed instructions and a knowledgeable valve checker on hand near by I could tackle it myself. I cant imagine it being to much different than the KLR process. :?:

·
Registered
6 Posts
demononthebrakes said:
I just figured with those detailed instructions and a knowledgeable valve checker on hand near by I could tackle it myself. I cant imagine it being to much different than the KLR process. :?:
I'd love to peak into a KTM if I'm around.

·
Premium Member
1,429 Posts
Did you print the destructions out????

It would be nice to have something in hand to look at while your doing it.

I didn't look, but I would almost bet that it would be easier than the KLR valves.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Do you have the shims Brent ?
Don't think the KLR shims will work
What are the KTM's 9.48 7.48 ?? 10 mm ?
I've read your shims should be the same size as the aprilla ones, nice and Pricey. :c00300

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Critter might be showing my ignorance here but I gathered by the "how to" thread posted in the first post that shims were not needed and any valve out of adjustment could be corrected with "jam nut" adjustments. :?: :?: :?:
I have never done anything like this but want to get proficient at it.
I dont have the service manual yet and maybe it outlines the process in more detail and shims are needed.
I might just have it done by a dealer to make it easier. :cry:

·
Registered
74 Posts
I have never messed with a KTM but I am pretty good with mechanical things and am more than willing to give you a hand if needed. Just give me a shout.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Critter I have confirmed it, no shims needed on my bikes motor for valve adjustments just adjust as needed at the "jam nuts" as outlined in the "how to" thread over on ADVrider.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Sweeet
Guess ya just can't always trust what you read on the net :c00269

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Critter you will be happy to know that I just got back from a trip to Harbor Freight and am now the proud owner of a couple of bad azzzz tire irons so this ragged Pirelli is no longer a problem.

·
Premium Member
688 Posts
Hey Critter...your avatar is skeery like the worm that was on my welcome matt this afternoon...only worse! Sorry {hijack off}

Hey demononthebrakes,

Betcha if you look around for Marty...he'll be able to help too. Tell him Swish says hi, would ya?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts