Kawasaki KLR Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking to buy a 2022 w ABS. Seems that 90% of the new inventory at dealers is non-ABS, at least in CA. And when found, usually not in the trim and color im looking for. Is there also some supply chain issue with ABS materials, or some other reason? Is this intentional based on Kawasaki's assessment of the market for KLRs. Will this situation improve? I will do 70% street, so wishing for the ABS.

·
Registered
'22 Sand Khaki, non-ABS
69 Posts
It also doesn't help that CA requires emissions equipment that Kawasaki doesn't put on bikes sold to the other 49 states. It's crazy that Kawi is still making a CA, and 49-state model nowadays, but there must be enough savings there to justify it.

·
Administrator
4,080 Posts
I wouldn’t be fussy about colour if you find something with ABS. Colour has no effect other than that red is fastest.

·
Registered
2022 Kawasaki KLR 650 Adventure
81 Posts
I like you was leaning toward ABS in the Adventure model. For the price difference - it was like a no brainer for me. The ABS is indeed rare and scarce as you've seen. The owner of the dealership where I bought my non ABS Adventure is on some kind of board/committee something or other thing with Kawasaki. I'm not a dealer and don't even play one on TV so I know I'm explaining his role all wrong. All I know is he has some kind of "inside with Kawasaki" not typical with all dealers. Anyway.....I say all that to say that he was saying that yes there is indeed a shortage of the ABS models - something to do with the chips or whatever. They were telling me that I was more than welcome to wait for an ABS model but in reality they may not see one this model year. So far since I have bought mine they have not gotten an ABS model. It doesn't mean of course that one won't magically appear at a dealer near you but that is kinda how it will arrive. Magically and by surprise. LOL Because of his relationship that I was talking about he does know before hand what will be coming but I think he said they were unable to make "orders" right now. It really is what comes is what comes. There is a very small dealership closer to me that was telling me that they literally do not know what they are getting until the truck arrives. There might be 10 bikes on a truck and only 3 are theirs, 2 go to another dealer and 5 to another. They are super frustrated with the state of things right now as are the car dealerships etc. We have car dealerships which normally have 100's of cars with 5 new cars parked out front. It's quite surreal as I'm sure you've seen. Needless to say I re-evaluated how important ABS was to me. Lol.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I couldn't locate an Adventure ABS for sale within 500 miles of where I live in Pennsylvania, which I thought was nuts. Tried to order one, but my local dealer said Kawasaki has placed an indefinite freeze on orders for new inventory. Only ABS model I could find was the Base so I went with that. Most if not all the bells & whistles on the ADV model aren't actually that special or difficult to DIY anyway so I wasn't too fussed. I recently saw that you can even get the Cypher Camo Engine Shrouds from 3D Cycle parts.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Looking to buy a 2022 w ABS. Seems that 90% of the new inventory at dealers is non-ABS, at least in CA. And when found, usually not in the trim and color im looking for. Is there also some supply chain issue with ABS materials, or some other reason? Is this intentional based on Kawasaki's assessment of the market for KLRs. Will this situation improve? I will do 70% street, so wishing for the ABS.
I recently purchased one with ABS it happens to be the tan model. They may have more but it wasn't an issue. Central Coast Yamaha Kawasaki in Santa Maria Ca.

·
Registered
2022 KLR Adventure
4 Posts
When buying mine, it took about a month to find it. It turned out to be in a small podunk shop that mostly sold farm equipment. He said he’d been sitting on it since October! Lol! I guess I lucked out on that.

·
Registered
2022 Kawasaki KLR 650 Adventure
81 Posts
Both. There is no option to disable it. It is "pre-programmed" to be in an off road mode so it will not be ABS under 5 mph? I believe? Don't quote me on that. I do not have the ABS on my Adventure.

·
Registered
89 Posts
The ABS is run by a computer. With the computer chip shortage, that is just one more computer that Kawasaki cannot get. They are lucky they are getting the computer that runs the fuel injection to be able to produce the bike. If you want an ABS bike, then you will need to wait for the shortage to calm down. You will need to order it from the dealer in the color and trim level you want and sit and wait for it to show up. I bet another year at least.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts