Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I just installed the Acerbis supermoto front fender tonight. I was disapointed with it's size, as I was going with the after market fender for color change and not to correct any sail effect. It looks way too small to me, kinda like the pig has an under bite. Anyone want to trade a stock Gen2 black one for it? Probably not after this review. Just a try! I've got to go back to stock size or at least something bigger than this! Any other after market suggestions? Thanks.

·
Threadjacker
6,768 Posts
Not trying to discourage you, but the size may grow on you. (bad pun)

You might want to try it out for a few days.

·
Lifetime Member
2,483 Posts
I was looking at different fenders before and ran across SamM's KLR with a factory Kawasaki KX450F fender... I think the side profile looks good on it. He said that it bolted right on and required no modification. This is a picture SamM posted of it in a thread on another KLR forum. Hope I'm not breaking any copyright laws or forum rules by posting it.

·
Administrator
8,279 Posts
No rules broken, Stew, but in the future please Photoshop that ugly red thing out... ;^)

T

·
Lifetime Member
2,483 Posts
factory Kawasaki KX450F fender... I think the side profile looks good on it.

That looks more the right size, from the side view...
It does look pretty sharp doesn't it? Be nice to see a top down pic of it as I don't believe it has the "wings" that the stock gen 2 KLR fender has. Almost be worth stopping by a Kawi dealer to have a look at one and get a price on it.

·
Administrator
8,279 Posts

·
Administrator
8,279 Posts
Naw, I was curious what it looked like, too.

So I figured 'as long as I'm up I might as well.....'

T

·
Registered
70 Posts
2009 KLR-650 Front Fender Mod:
I replaced the stock front fender on my 2009 KLR-650 today one of these after market fenders:
http://store.cycraracing.com/fasufrfeb1.html

I road tested the bike on the highway - wow! - what a great "front end stability" improvement over the factory fender. Thanks much to Tom for the recommendation. I trimmed about 3 inches off the back, and had to do a caveman modify on the stock fender cable stay to shorten it about an inch. I believe the new fender's reduction in the fenders surface area over the stock fender, makes a major difference in improved front end stability when riding on the highway in the 60 + MPH range. A well worthwhile mod!

Here's my comparo photo:

For more info on replacing the stock with a smaller front fender:
http://www.klrforum.com/showthread.php?t=10318

·
Threadjacker
6,768 Posts
Another convert! Glad you like it.

·
Missed Gear
1,193 Posts
Older first Generation KLR here, but...

I just put the SuperMoto fender on but have not ridden it yet. It looked so cool on Lockjaw's at the Tech day that it convinced me to try it on mine.

I'm not totally sure if I like the look, but I need to get it out to be sure.

I was running a next gen front fender on my 2000 to try and help with the wind / front sail issues. It did seem to help a little, but what really helped settle the front end down in the wind was the Fork Brace. This one thing alone made the front end much more manageable in the strong winds.

·
Threadjacker
6,768 Posts
Older first Generation KLR here, but...

I just put the SuperMoto fender on but have not ridden it yet. It looked so cool on Lockjaw's at the Tech day that it convinced me to try it on mine.

I'm not totally sure if I like the look, but I need to get it out to be sure.

I was running a next gen front fender on my 2000 to try and help with the wind / front sail issues. It did seem to help a little, but what really helped settle the front end down in the wind was the Fork Brace. This one thing alone made the front end much more manageable in the strong winds.
I actually think the fender makes more of a difference than the fork brace. But I got the beefier forks (Gen2), offroad the brace will help more of course. The fender is a good call. It does look weird at first, but the whole bike looks weird at first. ;)

Go ride it today. Good wind test. And bonus -- you'll get wet as all hell. :)

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
Took my new fender for a ride today. Went down a power line. Not wet or muddy enough to test how well it works. Other riders with me think it looks good. The looks of it are starting to grow on me, but I do have another fender ordered to test.

·
Missed Gear
1,193 Posts
I actually think the fender makes more of a difference than the fork brace. But I got the beefier forks (Gen2), offroad the brace will help more of course. The fender is a good call. It does look weird at first, but the whole bike looks weird at first. ;)

Go ride it today. Good wind test. And bonus -- you'll get wet as all hell. :)
I get a lot of fun cross winds on 380 and Skyline on the way home in the afternoon/evenings. The fork brace was the one thing that made a difference for me on my Gen1.

That being said... This fender did help even more as today's commute was pretty windy and I hardly even noticed.

·
Threadjacker
6,768 Posts
Yeah, it looks good, little goat (I'll go with that translation). ;)

When I did mine I was commuting over the GG bridge every day. Man, I was happy to get rid of the stock fender.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts