Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,429 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I changed the fuse block that the PO had put on my wee-Strom today. I put a 4-fuse block under the seat. I made a harness for the wires to power my 12 V outlet, BMW outlet, battery tender plug, and the fog/driving light I mounted on the front fender.

I started out with a couple pieces of aluminum,

I cut the shapes and size I wanted, then I ground them down, and then I took a file to them to smooth out the rough edges, and this is what I came up with.

I drilled a couple holes in the fender so I could mount the bracket I had made, so I could mount the fog/driving light to the fender so it would turn with the front wheel.

And this is what I ended up with.

I start working on the KLR tomorrow, getting it ready for the Blue Ridge M/C Resort on the 20th.

·
Registered
4 Posts

I thought your pic was the KLR but it was another make. I dropped the front fender on my KLR and installed a 55 watt driving light and it works well but it does limit the front end travel. I don't do much off road and never aggressively so it isn't an issue.

·
Premium Member
1,429 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The reason I mounted mine to the fenders was to allow the lights to turn with the wheel. On the wee and the KLR I now have the lights turning when the wheel turns.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Guess I may as well add my own 'aux light' hijack to this thread.

Here's my setup:

The small lights on the forks I mounted on 'L' brackets bolted to the reflector mounts - these are 55w lights, and I use them strictly as my conspicuity lights (or, 'look, I'm here, don't hit me')

The bigger lights are mounted to the turn signal brackets and are 75w each. I use these instead of my high beam at night for spotting forest rats and other unpleasantness - I like being able to see half a mile down the road.

I can't run both sets of lights at the same time (not a power issue, but instead a deliberate switching setup), and yes, I have the 400w stator upgrade which is still doing fine after ~1000 miles of riding since installation.

·
Premium Member
4,751 Posts
I hope Gadget replies, as it'd be great to hear from him.. Last time he was here was in April of 2009..

1 - 9 of 9 Posts