Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Getting ready for a ride through Yellowstone with my son and wanted to add a trunk with a backrest (mainly for my peace of mind). I ordered one from a1hardbags.com and just installed it.

I like it.

Attachments

·
Administrator
8,362 Posts
mwatson -

It looks really nice!

I like the back rest.

Tom

·
Lifetime Member
2,484 Posts
That is a nice looking trunk! I think they are one of the handiest accessories you can put on a bike. I have saddlebags as well, but after I put the trunk on I took the saddlebags off because I wasn't using them anymore... I'll keep em around though in case I go on a longer trip :)

Cheers,
Stew

·
Administrator
3,568 Posts
When are you going to Yellowstone? I've got about 10 more sleeps and I'll be there too.

Reactions: Arcgreenskeeper

·
Threadjacker
6,768 Posts
Yeah, that thing is sweet! Never seen one like that on a KLR.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'm headed to Yellowstone on the 30th of this month.

The model of trunk I purchased is the DMY with the lower backrest. I took both my 11 year old and my 9 year old for a ride and they love it. It's a big box - supposedly holds 2 full size helmets.

It comes with a "universal" kit, but it doesn't work quite right on the KLR's wide shelf. So for now, I've attached it using Lockjaw's zip tie method (fat, black zip ties purchased from Lowe's). It's actually attached pretty securely with the ties. Doesn't move at all. It will do until I have more time to figure out how I want to attach it permanently.

·
Administrator
8,362 Posts
...So for now, I've attached it using Lockjaw's zip tie method (fat, black zip ties purchased from Lowe's). .. It will do until I have more time to figure out how I want to attach it permanently.
Um, LJ told me that zip ties were permanent.

Have I been led astray?

Tom

·
Registered
64 Posts
I like it. Looking for something like that as well for my wife. What type of tank bag are you using?

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The tank bag is a Fieldsheer Contour bag with the magnetic base. The base slides under the upper fairing, almost like it was designed to do so. It is expandable, which is nice, but I've never had to use it that way yet. The only downside is there is no gas tank access, so you have to pull the magnets off the tank on one side and fold the bag over to fill up, but it's not hard and only takes a second. I use the tank bag more than the trunk. It's easy just to throw my sunglasses, hat, wallet, gloves, and whatever else in the bag and head out.

·
Threadjacker
6,768 Posts
Um, LJ told me that zip ties were permanent.

Have I been led astray?

Tom
Ah, it's bolted on. The zip ties are flair. ;) I like to fettle, you know?

·
Premium Member
368 Posts
Nice like the size:)

·
Registered
32 Posts
Getting ready for a ride through Yellowstone with my son and wanted to add a trunk with a backrest (mainly for my peace of mind). I ordered one from a1hardbags.com and just installed it.

I like it.

Do you know if that trunk will fit on a 2002?

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I'm sure you could make it fit. The "universal" brackets it come with we're really meant for the rack on my '08, but I got it to work fine. You may just have to do your own bolting.

It's a great box. Holds a lot and my son loved the backrest on our trip.

·
Registered
219 Posts
I like it! A good place to keep your helmet when off the bike. Does it lock?

·
Registered
35 Posts
I put a similar one on that I bought on Ebay. it was like 45.00 with free shipping and I set it further back on the bike so if the wife tagged along we could stretch out a bit. She does like the back rest and I like grocery getting capacity. I used to use a bigger milk crate.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts