Kawasaki KLR Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6,105 Posts
Might not matter, but . . . you could check for DOT (Federal Department of Transportation) compliance; maybe on the box or in the installation instructions for your light. Yet, . . . as stated, may not matter at all, ever! :)

·
Registered
6,105 Posts
Ahh now I understand. In my small brain I was thinking you were using it for another "running light". Yah the addition of a 2nd brake light definitely makes sense. I think a million years ago we owned a Mercedes with that light you describe. There was a switch on the dash and it only lit up one side of the brake. I always thought it was broken! :ROFLMAO:
Conjecture: The switched light at the rear of your Mercedes was a, "Parking Light." Many streets (and alleys) in Europe are very narrow; cars parallel parking sometimes extend into the roadway. Thus, motorists in cars so-equipped with parking lights activate the low-wattage lamp for the visibility of motorists passing by on the roadway.

Somewhat similarly, my KLR has a, "PARK," position on the ignition switch, controlling the tail light only.

Doubt this? Hey, I SAID it was conjecture! :)

---------------------------------------
Continuing the previous discussion, why not install a FOG LIGHT (as in, a light with a yellowish lens) instead of a back-up (clear lens) light? If the object is, visibility in heavy fog or rain for approaching motorists, mayhap a fog light would be more effective than one with a clear (or, "white") beam. Just sayin'.

·
Registered
6,105 Posts
But thanks for putting me on the path of obvious! :ROFLMAO:
Didn't realize LED was mandatory.

For brightness or for electric power consumption? Turn signals and brake lights operate with a minimal duty cycle (they're, "OFF," more than they're, "ON"); thus, I'd expect power saving from LED conversion miniscule in magnitude. But, maybe not!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts