Kawasaki KLR Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2022 Kawasaki KLR 650 Adventure
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I wanted to add a little more visibility to the back of the KLR and I happened on these bulbs on the FJR forum. I still lurk over there from time to time from when I owned my FJR. Anyway these bulbs are excellent! Just plug and play. The bulbs are awesome because they flash 5 times before going steady. To reset the flash simply let off the brake and reapply and the sequence starts over. 5 flashes then a steady light. The other I added was a license plate bracket that has turn signals, running lights, brake lights and plate lights all in one. I've had this on several bikes over the years and they really hold up well and work good. I bought the plate bracket thing at Cycle Gear. The brake light is lit up in the pic. They are a bear to wire up.....not so much cus it's hard, just that it's a lot of wires! Anyway here is a pic and a link of the two and also a video showing how they work. The license plate bracket lights do not flash.

Automotive tail & brake light Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Bumper Automotive exterior

Hopefully I did this right.....Clicky for video

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Oh wow good catch. I guess a "Check your state and local laws before purchase" disclaimer is necessary. (y)

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Another reason I'm glad I live in the South, I didn't even give it a thought when I ordered it. Lol

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Following in on this thread rather than opening another one, I will add a red LED lamp on the back to use as second brake lamp & rear fog lamp as used in Europe (here in US it is not known)
A rear fog lamp is very useful in heavy rain or heavy foggy conditions where tail lights are not readily visible and that could be the difference between ending up rear ended or being seen in due time. It shows as a powerful brake lamp would, much more visible than a regular tail lamp.

Well, my question is about wiring, probably related to this post since that lamp needs connection as well, to use it as a stop lamp, all I need is connect the positive wire from the auxiliary stop lamp to the wire going to the stock stop lamp function on the stock lamp.

I assume the stock tail lamp has three wires, one for ground, one for taillight function and a third one for stop lamp function, so by connecting the stock stop lamp wire to the auxiliary stop lam + wire that function would be mirrored by the auxiliary stop lamp.

Now, in order to make it possible to activate that auxiliary brake lamp as a rear fog lamp, with a toggle switch, would I need a toggle switch connected on one side to the battery or live + wire , and to ground, and towards the other side,from the switch over to the lamp a wire connecting the + side of the lamp to the + side of the switch ?

This is the lamp, 👍 View attachment 31704
This is basically like the license plate bracket that I also added except without all the extras. I'm curious why you would want to shut it off? I, like you was looking for more lighting for safety reasons. I agree that the more light back there the better so not to be rear ended. Why not just leave it lit up all the time like your rear running light is on all the time. You could then just tap into the rear running light wire. When I wired up the license bracket I removed the whole rear tail so I could get to all the wires I needed but to do what you want you wouldn't need to. The connections are right there when you remove the seat if I remember correctly. Tomorrow I will try to get out there and snap a pic.

As far as the flashing and jurisdiction stuff I was a LEO for 25 years (retired 5 years ago - where does the time go!?) and never hassled motorcyclists for trying to make themselves seen on the road. I think people think we have every violation memorized. LOL. It helped that I also rode but truthfully unless you're being reckless you're not going to be stopped for it. Not saying you shouldn't check your local laws and do what you are comfortable with -- I'm just telling the reality of it. Anyway like I said I will try to get a picture of the pigtail for you tomorrow with the color code for the running light. Your light looks good; be cool to get a 2nd one and mount them opposite each other on either side of the plate on the reflector bracket....it would be Harley-esque! :cool:

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
The fog lamp function is very bright, like having a brake lamp on all the time.
That would bother many at night time unless it was really bad weather like heavy rain or fog, that is the intended use of a rear fog lamp

No reason to have it on all the time EXCEPT upon braking, in which case it would work as a second stop / brake lamp as in cars.

My tail light is plenty visible under normal conditions, I have an LED bulb in the stock housing so I need no more than that.

Just need traffic behind me to be alerted when I stop, and when the tail lamp combined with another light that was not there (it was off) lights up, that calls on attention

If I were to have the second lamp on all the time , then at time of braking it would not make any difference because it would be on all the time irregardless , plus it would be annoying others on the road
Ahh now I understand. In my small brain I was thinking you were using it for another "running light". Yah the addition of a 2nd brake light definitely makes sense. I think a million years ago we owned a Mercedes with that light you describe. There was a switch on the dash and it only lit up one side of the brake. I always thought it was broken! :ROFLMAO:

Reactions: jaimesix

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
So I went out to Amazon to get and 1157 led bulb for the KLR. I got one that didn’t strobe but was from the same manufacturer (Auxlight). VERY NICE!! Super bright!

I decided to get 4 turn signal bulbs as well. In my infinite wisdom, I did not check the bulb type and just ordered two amber 1157 bulbs and two amber 1156 bulbs. Every bike I’ve owned has used these in their turn signals.

Turns out the ‘22 KLR uses a different kind of bulb for the turn signals, and I can’t find what kind it is. Anybody know??
I'm not at home or I would run out and pull the bulb but Revzilla shows a 92069? I'm at work and bored to death so I took this as a challenge and man what a challenge it is. It appears that number is a Kawasaki number. Unfortunately I can't find a pic of that exact bulb or a way to cross reference that number to "automotive bulbs" but I finally found in a Kawasaki Vulcan forum a possible answer. The Vulcan evidently uses the same bulb as the KLR and a poster said he used a 1056 or 7507. Like I said I'm not at home to be able to compare but maybe that gives you a starting point if you have access to the bulb. I would love to know the answer also as replacing with all LEDs would be great! I'm glad you found a bulb you like. I really like the simplicity of the bulb and though you didn't go with the "backoff" feature I too love the added brightness of the bulb!

Oh here is a link to the vulcan forum.....last post in the thread I believe....Clicky here for possible info....

Reactions: OutlandMoto

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
92069 is only the Pre-fix of almost every light bulb that Kawasaki ever used!
You need the suffix of the number also (92069-????), but that is only good for ordering oem genuine parts from a Kawasaki dealership.
Ah go figure....well it's 92069-0106 but like you said only good for genuine oem parts and really hard to cross reference. That vulcan post was the only thing I could find this afternoon that came close to solving the mystery. I also promised someone a pic of the wiring harnesses under the seat that I tapped into. Full disclosure - I kept forgetting to snap this pic on my own but tonight I was poking around facebook and a guy from Texas had this pic so I stole it to fulfill my promise. Tough to get old and get CRS disease. Lol

Here it is but know this is the 2022 not sure if it's the same on older bikes. The white plug on the left is the tail/brake and the two smaller thinner plugs to the right are for left and right turn signals.

Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Automotive design Electrical wiring Gas

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
LOL....I promise I'm not being a smarta$$ when I say this....."Why didn't I think of that!!??" LOL......I really didn't until you just said it. Lol.....so i just did a quick search of the Genuine Kawasaki Parts sites and it doesn't appear at least in my first search that Kawasaki offers a LED bulb to replace the incandescent one so I guess that is my official answer to your question. But thanks for putting me on the path of obvious! :ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
Wasn’t worried about power consumption. Just wanted brighter bulbs, and the bulb I got for the tail light is significantly brighter than the stock bulb. But I’m also realizing that LED turn signals may not flash properly without some modifications/add-ons. I don’t want to get into that, so I will probably quit while I’m ahead. :)
Exactly what he said! 👆👆😁

How about simply removing an oem standard bulb from your bike temporarily? And then doing your research?
Yah I addressed that above - I'm at work and didn't have access to the bulb. 👍. But since my job is quite boring (University - kids are on break) I took it as a challenge to have a reason to finish the internet again.

Reactions: OutlandMoto
1 - 9 of 9 Posts